ADVERTISEMENT

Historical look at WVU football coaches ranked wins

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
A recent posting once again set off a flurry of attacks on WVUs previous coach. Some of the attacks were about the wins DH brought to Mountaineer nation, or rather the "quality" of those wins.

So here's a look at WVU's last four coaches, from Brown through Rodriguez-- and the wins they had during their terms at WVU over RANKED opponents.

BROWN--3 wins over ranked opponents. 1 top 15.

15 VT
22 ISU
16 KSU

D HOLGORSEN---9 wins over ranked opponents. 6 top 15, 1 top 10, 1 top 5

25 at Texas Tech
15 at Texas
14 ISU
4 Baylor
11 OK State
25 Baylor
11 at Texas
23 Cincinnati
14 Clemson (OB)

B STEWART 2 Wins vs. ranked opponents. 2 top fifteen/2 top ten wins, 1 top 5 (*1 with RR's team)

8 Pitt
2007/8 (RRs team)
3 (FIESTA) Oklahoma

R RODRIGUEZ 10 Wins vs. ranked opponents. 4 top 15 wins. 2 top ten wins, 1 top 5 win.

25 at Rutgers
21 at Cincinnati
20 Connecticut
13 Rutgers
19 Louisville
8 N Georgia
21 Maryland
3 VT
16 Pitt
13 at VT

And here is Don Nehlen's record against ranked programs while at WVU:
12 total ranked team wins, 6 Top 15, 3 top 10, two top 5 wins

15 Syracuse
19 VT
4 Miami
11 at BC
16 at Pitt
14 Syracuse
4 BC
19 PSU
17 at Maryland
19 at BC
9 at OU
19 BC

Another WVU coach considered one of the top ever--ART LEWIS:
6 Total wins vs. ranked teams, two top 15

20 Pitt
14 George Washington
15 at S Carolina
9 at PSU
17 at Pitt
18 Pitt

It used to be Top 20 but then it became Top 25 in like 1990 or whatever, so lots of Nehlen's time and before Nehlen it was harder to get a "ranked" win because there were fewer ranked teams.

Nehlen faced and lost to teams in the top 25. Wikipedia states:
"from 1936 to 1960 the wire service only ranked 20 teams". Nehlen began his stint at WVU 20 years later in 1980.

Nehlen faced and lost to teams in the top 25
The first part of Nehlen's tenure at WVU there was no Top 25 so there were no Top 25 wins or losses, unless someone goes back to the old polls and looks up all the "other receiving votes" and manually add the first five in the list to the 21 thru 25 spots.

The first part of Nehlen's tenure at WVU there was no Top 25 so there were no Top 25 wins or losses, unless someone goes back to the old polls and looks up all the "other receiving votes" and manually add the first five in the list to the 21 thru 25 spots.
Here's apparently how it went looking at the entire history. Of course teams played fewer games than today as well.

Wikipedia:
"While the AP Poll currently lists the Top 25 teams in the nation, from 1936 to 1960 the wire service only ranked 20 teams. From 1961 to 1967 only 10 teams were recognized. From 1968 to 1988, the AP again resumed its Top 20 before expanding to the current 25 teams in 1989."

Regarding the COACHES poll:

Wikipedia:
"
The Coaches Poll began selecting the "Top 20" teams on a weekly basis during the 1950-1951 college football and basketball seasons. For the 1990-1991 football and basketball seasons, the poll expanded to a "Top 25," and it has retained this format since."

Last edited:
For what it's worth if the above information is accurate on ranked wins. Below is the percent of total games (W/L/T) for each coach that were ranked wins:

Neal - 9%
Dana - 9%
Bill - 5%
Rich - 12%
Don - 5%

What's RichRod up to? I'm willing to finally let it go.

For what it's worth if the above information is accurate on ranked wins. Below is the percent of total games (W/L/T) for each coach that were ranked wins:

Neal - 9%
Dana - 9%
Bill - 5%
Rich - 12%
Don - 5%

What's RichRod up to? I'm willing to finally let it go.
Please stop with the % bs.

ACTUAL WINS are what matter.

No one says "Woody Hayes had a great percentage for beating ranked teams", they say he beat x number of ranked teams. Its really sad how you Holgorsen haters go out of your way to try to deny just how successful he actually was for WVU and its fanbase. And for what? A loser coach that can barely eke out 5 wins a year three years in and like Stewart now has had an offensive coordinator pushed on him because he can't get the job done? Just sad. Holgorsen's wins are eons ahead of anything Brown has succeeded at at WVU.

As to the assumption that i.e. coaches would have played more ranked teams had there been 25 ranked teams--the records of schools during those times is all out there.

PROVE that any particular coach faced more teams--and beaten them--that would/should have been ranked or otherwise stop with the nonsense.

Please stop with the % bs.

ACTUAL WINS are what matter.

No one says "Woody Hayes had a great percentage for beating ranked teams", they say he beat x number of ranked teams. Its really sad how you Holgorsen haters go out of your way to try to deny just how successful he actually was for WVU and its fanbase. And for what? A loser coach that can barely eke out 5 wins a year three years in and like Stewart now has had an offensive coordinator pushed on him because he can't get the job done? Just sad. Holgorsen's wins are eons ahead of anything Brown has succeeded at at WVU.
Not sure what makes me a Holgorsen hater by posting some stats or suggesting RR was successful, or why percentages are not one of a few types of metrics to judge success. It's the polarized world of only my opinion counts I guess, and one of the reasons I left my paid subscription on this site.

Also couldn't give a flying F about anything related to Ohio State and how great they think they are. It's Ohio, when required, I drive through as fast as I can and hope it doesn't stick to me or my vehicle.

Feel free to respond using BOLD TYPE where necessary again, as that is helpful so us stupid people can better read your posts. Thanks!

Not sure what makes me a Holgorsen hater by posting some stats or suggesting RR was successful, or why percentages are not one of a few types of metrics to judge success. It's the polarized world of only my opinion counts I guess, and one of the reasons I left my paid subscription on this site.

Also couldn't give a flying F about anything related to Ohio State and how great they think they are. It's Ohio, when required, I drive through as fast as I can and hope it doesn't stick to me or my vehicle.

Feel free to respond using BOLD TYPE where necessary again, as that is helpful so us stupid people can better read your posts. Thanks!
You mad, bruh?

You are twisting the facts to fit your agenda and to try to minimize Holgorsens accomplishments specifically.

No one in their right mind thinks 3 wins against ranked foes- with none of them being top ten and only one against a too 15 is the same as 9 wins over ranked foes with 6 top 15, 2 top ten and one top 5 victory ( which stacks up amongst the best ever at WVU). To try to twist that its the same illustrates clearly you do have an agenda.

So, using your standards, you reward longevity rather than accomplishment.
You diminish a coach who, perhaps by luck of the draw, may not even face a top 25 team in a year.
You also didn't list how many LOSSES against top 25 foes each coach has.

A better way of looking at your numbers, rather than total wins (which rewards longevity rather than accomplishment) would be looking at average wins per year.

To show what I mean, imagine I coach 5 years but only face 2 top 25 teams per year. That's 10 total chances against top 25 teams. I win 5 of them.

Now, imagine you coach 10 years and face 5 per year. That's 50 total chances for you and you win 5. So, who did a better job? Me or you? According to your poor math understanding, we did equally. That's ridiculous and faulty logical thinking.

Now, if we look at the coach you love to hate, in 3 years he has, according to your own stats, 3 wins against top 25. That averages out to 1 per year.

If we look at the coach you love to idolize, he coached 9 years and had 9 wins. Averages out to 1 per year. Result, both are about equally bad (or good, depending upon how you look at it) wouldn't you say?

To sum up, please refrain from posting your ignorance and constantly moving goalposts. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT