ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE Highlights of WVU signee Trey Doomes on the way to the state finals

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com

Doomes' University School team beat Booker T. Washington Friday night in the Florida 5-A regional final. University is now 29-1 and ranked at the nation's No. 3 team. They move on to the state's final four tournament, games start Monday and run through next Saturday.

Reactions: WVU82
Just looking at a lot of these highlights it appears a lot of these players and teams look no better than much of WV high school basketball. The very best WV teams look better than these kids. Notice I said the best teams in WV. This is supposed to be big school Florida basketball. The best??? Over hyped Florida hoops? Possibly?

The crowd is tiny. Transient fast growing areas like that usually don’t come out and support local things I suppose. I think WV has good players for having only 1.8 million people. If we had Florida’s population of 18 million we would have much better basketball quality than what they have. Now they are a great football state.

Last edited:
I think Doomes would benefit nicely from a year at prep school but with losing 2 senior guards we don’t have the luxury of further developing him another year. I think Huggins should prep as many kids that are down with that path and still want to come like Knapper did. It’s a win win for player and program. Culver of course had grade issues but he will be game ready day 1 next season. That prep year develops these guys nicely. We need to redshirt players with potential that could benefit from it. Lamont West got redshirted and benefited from the extra year. He wasn’t ready at all. Huggs wanted to prep Teddy but couldn’t. He stated this last spring or so. Teddy would have benefited.

You would prefer WVU have 15 West Virginia players. We are not in CUSA. We play in Big 12.

I never said only recruit WV kids. I said we need 1-2 key WV kids every year or 2 that can flat out play like Elmore, Burks, Grantham and more.....you people are so dumb I can’t even make a point to you. You have no clue how bad we drop the ball on getting the top players in WV in both sports.

Again I find it interesting that these fast growing warm weather transient areas have tiny little gyms for sports with hardly anybody there. This is 5A big school Florida basketball and they don’t look very good. You would expect better considering how big these schools are down in south Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT