ADVERTISEMENT

Hey King

MichiganHerd

All-American
Aug 17, 2011
Do you remember a guy that played for Ohio State, maybe a few years before your time there, by the name of Rob Artz? He's a rep for one of my suppliers, and recently took over our account up here, and he comes up to my office up here usually on Thursday afternoons. Think he played slot receiver back in the day, maybe early 80s. He's not a very big guy though.

He was definitely in Columbus before I was there. Ask him who the starting quarterbacks were when he was playing. I'm thinking that Mike Tomczak might have been one of them.

He was definitely in Columbus before I was there. Ask him who the starting quarterbacks were when he was playing. I'm thinking that Mike Tomczak might have been one of them.
Here's what he typed back when I asked him your question. You probably know all the people, scores, bowls, etc. he's referencing.

Here you go –

1983 / 1984 (we had “plastic” helmets…not leather 😊…but darn close)

QB = Mike Tomczak

QB = Jim Karsatos

RB = Keith Byers (played for the Eagles…was inducted into the 2022 College FB HOF)

TE = John Frank (won 2 SB with the 49ers)

Tackle = Bill Roberts – won a SB with the Giants

Guard = Jim Gilmore – won a SB with the Giants

Tackle = Jim lacey – won a SB with the Redskins

DB’s = Jimmy & Shaun Gayle – Shaun won a SB with the Bears

We won the 1984 Fiesta Bowl 28 – 23 over the Pitt Panthers on a last gasp drive with a catch to Thad Jemison in the end zone for the win. The next time OSU played in the Fiesta Bowl was 2002 when we beat Miami in the BCS Title Game.

We went 9-3 and lost to UM

That's interesting. I don't remember all of the scores, but remember some of the players and the Fiesta Bowl, of course. John Frank became a medical doctor, IIRC. Jim Lachey was a member of the "Hogs" and has been the Buckeyes' radio color commentator for many years now. His son is a TE at Iowa. Byers was an all-time great at tOSU and a good NFL back, as well. Shaun Gayle was much better than his brother. It's too bad that they lost to TTUN that season, ha ha. 9-3 seasons are what got Earle Bruce fired.

That's interesting. I don't remember all of the scores, but remember some of the players and the Fiesta Bowl, of course. John Frank became a medical doctor, IIRC. Jim Lachey was a member of the "Hogs" and has been the Buckeyes' radio color commentator for many years now. His son is a TE at Iowa. Byers was an all-time great at tOSU and a good NFL back, as well. Shaun Gayle was much better than his brother. It's too bad that they lost to TTUN that season, ha ha. 9-3 seasons are what got Earle Bruce fired.
I remember the big names he mentioned, but not a QB named Karsatos. Unfortunately, I remember Lachey due to living amongst the obnoxious redskin fans during the 90s when I lived in the Northern Shenandoah Valley. I was impressed that he somehow got the 2002 national title game into his reply, as well as a suck up post of losing to UM, just to insure I would keep buying from him. Nice work by a typical salesman.

I remember the big names he mentioned, but not a QB named Karsatos. Unfortunately, I remember Lachey due to living amongst the obnoxious redskin fans during the 90s when I lived in the Northern Shenandoah Valley. I was impressed that he somehow got the 2002 national title game into his reply, as well as a suck up post of losing to UM, just to insure I would keep buying from him. Nice work by a typical salesman.
Lachey and several other Hogs were original members of Blue Ridge Shadows golf course...used to see them about every time we played there

Ha ha, he is a typical salesman. I dislike the Deadskins, but not as much as the E-Gals. Lachey seems like a genuinely nice guy, though. I thought of Karsatos at first, but then remembered that he was the starting QB in the mid-80s, so I didn't think the salesman would have played with him. Karsatos was a big pro-style quarterback who wasn't bad, but not great, either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT