ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what's next for some big players such as Big 12, Pac-12, Big Ten and NCAA

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
excerpts:

Yahoo Sports got different answers from different people on this issue. The Big 12's current television contract ends after the 2024 football season. It’s highly unlikely Texas and Oklahoma would want to slog through four seasons, as it’s a miserable experience for everyone when teams leave leagues.

A break-up like this is much like a divorce – nasty, expensive and endlessly complicated. Big 12 rules say that for a school to leave, the buyout is two years of television revenue. That would mean nearly $150 million combined for both schools. Do they pay that or broker a deal? Expect an agreement of some kind, as SEC commissioner Greg Sankey’s comment on focusing on the 2021 season has been interpreted that this could happen soon after that. As usual, the lawyers will be the big winners.

The timeline for Texas and Oklahoma to inform the Big 12 of their intentions could be as soon as a week from now. The longer things linger, the more obstacles could get in the way......

What's next for the Big 12?​

The league is beginning to discuss contingencies Thursday, as it’s obvious that this would be a devastating blow.

Expect the Big 12 to be aggressive in adding schools. It'll knock on doors at Arizona and Arizona State. Perhaps it'll try and lure Colorado back and pry Utah. The Pac-12 is weak now, but the core of USC, Oregon, UCLA and Washington are all more attractive to be aligned with than any of the Big 12 schools.

From there, the Big 12 will decide how big it wants to get. It has to decide whether to add two, four or six schools. Four seems like the most reasonable number, with Cincinnati, UCF, USF, BYU and Boise State the most likely candidates from outside the state of Texas. The potential addition of Houston and SMU becomes complicated, as Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech wouldn’t have much interest in more in-state competition.

Remember, it’s streaming subscriptions, not cable boxes, that matter most. BYU would appear to have the best option for that, with its national following. But BYU is always complicated, which prevented the Big 12 from adding it in 2016 when the Cougars' complicated LGBTQ history became a factor.

UCF and USF have great markets, but would the Big 12 want two Florida footholds? Cincinnati is a preseason Top 10 team that has been working hard behind the scenes to build for this moment. It also brings a big market and fertile recruiting area.

This is all sub-optimal for the American Athletic Conference, as it'll be a familiar trickle-down. In a similar food chain fallout that followed the ACC cannibalizing the Big East a decade ago, the Big 12 will go after the most attractive AAC candidates. The AAC will do its best to hold on to its top programs but a reconstructed Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma should offer a more attractive financial landing spot than the current AAC.

The remaining BIG 12 schools cannot let those two just walk without the harshest penalties possible--mainly because they'll need the money going forward but also because the two have both held back the league in progressing and signed contracts to pay if they did this.

Here is what's next for WVU... GTFO of the Big 12! I hope there is a boat waiting for the program that isn't AAC or worse.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
2024 will be the first year of the new playoffs of 12 teams. Expect only 4 major conferences, SEC, B1G, ACC & bring up the rear the PAC 12. Poorest conference of them all and went untouched.

Reactions: Rootmaster
2024 will be the first year of the new playoffs of 12 teams. Expect only 4 major conferences, SEC, B1G, ACC & bring up the rear the PAC 12. Poorest conference of them all and went untouched.

The PAC might be poor but it is stable.

The B12 has always been unstable. Need proof? WVU is in the B12 - thats proof.

Everyone knew this was coming.

The PAC might be poor but it is stable.

The B12 has always been unstable. Need proof? WVU is in the B12 - thats proof.

Everyone knew this was coming.
Did I say Big 12 was never going to implode? Did I say PAC was unstable?

It was just a few months ago people were laughing at the PAC.

If there are 16 teams in each major conference then WVU is in.

Did I say Big 12 was never going to implode? Did I say PAC was unstable?

It was just a few months ago people were laughing at the PAC.

If there are 16 teams in each major conference then WVU is in.

There's a few scenarios were we get left out, but I'm optimistic.

I think K-State is in bad spot, as is TT/Baylor/TCU.

If the B1G can actually raid ACC and steal 2 teams, I think we are a lock.

Reactions: 1duluth1
There's a few scenarios were we get left out, but I'm optimistic.

I think K-State is in bad spot, as is TT/Baylor/TCU.

If the B1G can actually raid ACC and steal 2 teams, I think we are a lock.
Agree. But I believe this is different this time around and it's why the SEC struck first. It's more to do with streaming now and how much market you have for streaming.

Agree. But I believe this is different this time around and it's why the SEC struck first. It's more to do with streaming now and how much market you have for streaming.

I think its different too, which works in our favor...

I think the networks just want lots of marquee match-ups this time, not cable boxes...actual product.

I think its different too, which works in our favor...

I think the networks just want lots of marquee match-ups this time, not cable boxes...actual product.
Yes. ESPN+ was no doubt successful. I think it's part of ESPN driving force and price will continue to rise for it. You may eventually see a plan where you have pay perview for the big time games.

Reactions: 1duluth1
Yes. ESPN+ was no doubt successful. I think it's part of ESPN driving force and price will continue to rise for it. You may eventually see a plan where you have pay perview for the big time games.

I think there is another future level where bottom level teams like WF get weeded out...just my personal opinion.

Its hard to justify the value of Wake Forest, Vandy, BC....when OK-St, K-State and WVU could be left to die on the vine.

Reactions: WVURPH and 1duluth1
Wake is a school who survives off the back of UNC
Like Baylor and TCU isn’t a R1 university.
Wouldn’t find a home if the ACC collapses

I don't think the B1G is going to do anything. They might even reduce headcount by two.

four 16-team conferences with conference title games as first round of 8-team national playoff and everyone else plays tiddlywinks.

I think there is another future level where bottom level teams like WF get weeded out...just my personal opinion.

Its hard to justify the value of Wake Forest, Vandy, BC....when OK-St, K-State and WVU could be left to die on the vine.
Didn't Vandy eliminate its athletic director a few years ago?
Yea... hard to see how those teams get carried over into super leagues.
There should probably be an academic conference. Could be Vandy, Duke, Tulane, Rice, Northwestern, Rutgers, Army, Navy, Northwestern. Something like that.

No. Nebraska and Rutgers to the big XII. Lots of Jersey boys at WVU, so it only makes sense for them to be traveling partners with WVU.
Well we are trying to limit them from coming into school here in Morgantown, you know, so our academic rating will go up.

four 16-team conferences with conference title games as first round of 8-team national playoff and everyone else plays tiddlywinks.
Not happening skippy. Will eventually end up 32 to 40 teams 2 conferences with quad divisions. See NFL setup. See also that group separate from NCAA forming their own with it's own commissioner.

Those wanting to attend a university will go to one of the other peons left behind. The power teams will strip away players from those left behind if they seem worthy of a move up.

The days of student athlete is over.

Discussing realignment again is like the Days of Future Past....

Uncanny X-Men 141-142 is literally the best comic “run” ever and I will fight anyone who says differently.

The Fox bastardization of that story still stings. Hopefully the MCU redoes it. It would make Endgame look like a student film if they keep to the source material.

No. Nebraska and Rutgers to the big XII. Lots of Jersey boys at WVU, so it only makes sense for them to be traveling partners with WVU.
Nobody has ever been kicked out of a conference! They would have to leave and then they have to consider the negotiation of exit fees. IMO no way!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT