ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a college football playoff idea.

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Right now with the five power conference it is always going to be a dump on someone...probably someone really good. So...give each conference champion an automatic into an eight team playoff. Give one spot to the best team from the remaining D1 teams and two spots at large from power conferences (which would soothe the hurt from a top rated team being upset in a CCG. The committee then seeds the teams with one playing eight, two versus seven, three against six and four versus five. Those teams would play in the existing Bowl lineup. A semi-final in the big bowl games a week later followed by the College Football SuperBowl. Minor bowls could exist as reward games for also rans...and for teams with a winning record only! The conferences would split the monies (huge) and networks bid (huge again) for the rights. Not a lot different from now but with a real championship structure. Would also keep interest for all for a longer time. Just musing.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Right now with the five power conference it is always going to be a dump on someone...probably someone really good. So...give each conference champion an automatic into an eight team playoff. Give one spot to the best team from the remaining D1 teams and two spots at large from power conferences (which would soothe the hurt from a top rated team being upset in a CCG. The committee then seeds the teams with one playing eight, two versus seven, three against six and four versus five. Those teams would play in the existing Bowl lineup. A semi-final in the big bowl games a week later followed by the College Football SuperBowl. Minor bowls could exist as reward games for also rans...and for teams with a winning record only! The conferences would split the monies (huge) and networks bid (huge again) for the rights. Not a lot different from now but with a real championship structure. Would also keep interest for all for a longer time. Just musing.
Prefer it the way it is - it makes everyone work harder to keep from being left out.

Reactions: jmitch61
Prefer it the way it is - it makes everyone work harder to keep from being left out.
Dang, Woodie, never thought of that. You're always one step above me. But I think the left-out conference is going to demand that all 5 conference champs make the playoffs, which would be the BCS all over again. I do favor the top 8 in the playoff committee's rankings making the playoffs, then it's 3 weeks of more football!

Proposed a similar format to the OP on here a year or so ago, but used the major bowls - Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta as the first round. Then have a CFB Final Four at a central site, Dallas, Indy, Atlanta with a 1pm game and a 8pm game. Winners to the finals.

The problem is the NCAA would have to approve the teams playing a 14th game. As of now it's forbidden for 'FBS' schools. I'd be curious to see if a majority would vote for it, but I like it.

The P5 basically threatened to pull out of the NCAA if it didn't approve the last round of 'recommendations'.... ...and the NCAA didn't even think twice about giving in.

The P5 basically threatened to pull out of the NCAA if it didn't approve the last round of 'recommendations'.... ...and the NCAA didn't even think twice about giving in.

Indeed they did. The P5 schools supply about 80% of their bloated bureaucracy heavy budget. P5 gained a great deal of autonomy in exchange for continuing the money flow.

A majority of the P-5 schools would have to approve the playing of a 14th game and the playoff committee will do what the majority tells them regarding a four or eight team playoff. The problem is, a majority of P5 schools aren't currently clamoring for expanding the playoffs. When they do, it will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT