ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Henson’s contract will not be renewed

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Henson’s Contract Will Not Be Renewed

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 28, 2018) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons announced today that wrestling head coach Sammie Henson’s contract will not be renewed for the 2018-19 season.

“I want to thank Coach Henson for his time here leading our wrestling program,” Lyons said. “We will immediately begin a national search to identify our next wrestling coach. I firmly believe WVU can excel in wrestling, and I look forward to our future success.”

In his four years at West Virginia, Henson compiled a 27-39 overall record and a 5-14 Big 12 mark. His 2018 squad finished 6-7, ninth at the Big 12 Tournament and 30that the NCAA Championships with one All-American.

I would try to hire Cael Sanderson's brother Cody. He's been at Sandusky State for almost a decade-knows the area and was there as they went from below average to NC

Any word on who Shane Lyons is looking at to hire?

There has been no news at all which tells me Lyons broke rule #1 as an AD, i.e. "Have a list of 3 names in your pocket for every coach on staff in case the coach leaves or you have to fire the coach."

And since he fired the coach, he should have definitely had the replacement list ready.

There has been no news at all which tells me Lyons broke rule #1 as an AD, i.e. "Have a list of 3 names in your pocket for every coach on staff in case the coach leaves or you have to fire the coach."

And since he fired the coach, he should have definitely had the replacement list ready.
Maybe he does. Oliver Luck did when he hired the guy who just got fired. Hiring head coaches is a crapshoot. Some improve the quality, some don't. And you don't find out for a few years which way it's going. At WVU, it's a double whammy: Good too good, he leaves; coach too bad, you dump him.

Maybe he does. Oliver Luck did when he hired the guy who just got fired. Hiring head coaches is a crapshoot. Some improve the quality, some don't. And you don't find out for a few years which way it's going. At WVU, it's a double whammy: Good too good, he leaves; coach too bad, you dump him.

Well, there's your answer and you couldn't have been more wrong. AD had a fantastic replacement in his pocket before dumping Oliver Luck's choice.

Nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes till it's announced.

ADVERTISEMENT