ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing a lot more smoke on RR

The Mountaineer Maga Board raises the universal Woke rallying cry once again to simplify the situation. I appreciate the posters who have added other reasons, arguments and topics to the list of possibilities why the program has sunk to the level it has. Not everything is a political conspiracy, and these same tired excuses are typical of what the maga bots have been trained to do.

As of this morning, we have missed out on Rhule (long shot), Fickell (Longer shot), Freeze (meh)…probably going to Auburn. Jimbo isn’t getting fired.

Cincy is on the board who is coming to the Big12 which is going to be a challenge for whomever takes that position because they do not have the depth at this point.

GT is a hard place to win and has been for quite some time.

A few more places may open up over the next week or so as well.

So right now we have no AD in place and needing donations to pay for Brown’s exit 3 days before December. We were late to the party when Brown got hired and will probably be late again unless the new A.D., and the booster money specifically already has someone in mind. Really the only play at this point is Brown unless the rumor mill is true that the money wants Rod back Which I would assume be Kenny K’s wallet?

I would say there’s probably about a 90% chance right now that Brown and co. has one more year. Regardless, we need to have someone in place soon.

Reactions: Greg4WV
As of this morning, we have missed out on Rhule (long shot), Fickell (Longer shot), Freeze (meh)…probably going to Auburn. Jimbo isn’t getting fired.

Cincy is on the board who is coming to the Big12 which is going to be a challenge for whomever takes that position because they do not have the depth at this point.

GT is a hard place to win and has been for quite some time.

A few more places may open up over the next week or so as well.

So right now we have no AD in place and needing donations to pay for Brown’s exit 3 days before December. We were late to the party when Brown got hired and will probably be late again unless the new A.D., and the booster money specifically already has someone in mind. Really the only play at this point is Brown unless the rumor mill is true that the money wants Rod back Which I would assume be Kenny K’s wallet?

I would say there’s probably about a 90% chance right now that Brown and co. has one more year. Regardless, we need to have someone in place soon.

In short were a rudderless dumpster fire, and the big money fanbase wants to chase the past with a coach who was last relevant when the current generation of players were in diapers, and without an AD to reign them in, there is a realistic chance RR comes back.

In short were a rudderless dumpster fire, and the big money fanbase wants to chase the past with a coach who was last relevant when the current generation of players were in diapers, and without an AD to reign them in, there is a realistic chance RR comes back.
I totally agree. I’m not saying I know people in the know, hearing a lot of rumors that essentially sums up exactly what you just said. Of course RR is always the rumor anytime we need a coach, however this appears to be the perfect dumpster fire scenario for him to have a chance to come back.

This entire situation is 100% due to a panic decision to give a guy a buyout that was undeserving because his name was floated around for a few openings. We have to hold ourself to a better standard.

I totally agree. I’m not saying I know people in the know, hearing a lot of rumors that essentially sums up exactly what you just said. Of course RR is always the rumor anytime we need a coach, however this appears to be the perfect dumpster fire scenario for him to have a chance to come back.

This entire situation is 100% due to a panic decision to give a guy a buyout that was undeserving because his name was floated around for a few openings. We have to hold ourself to a better standard.

In the current landscape we should be welcoming if an SEC school wants to give us buyout money to take a coach off our hands, especially one that is unproven. Thats less money our school needs from boosters, and more money boosters can use for NIL collectives. Be like how a European soccer club like AJAX is where they sell off budding stars to boost their ability to find and develop new stars.

Last edited:
I heard that Rich Rod was in town for turkey day and said he wouldn't come back to WVU for any amount of money. Lets move on....

I heard that Rich Rod was in town for turkey day and said he wouldn't come back to WVU for any amount of money. Lets move on....
Wouldn’t be shocked. He’s almost 60, past his coaching prime and he’s settled into a low pressure gig and is seeing success. Not sure why he would welcome back the insanity that was his departure from here back into his life when he is teetering on retirement.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
The University does not want another drunk ego driven dolt who insisted on coaching his son quarterback at University High and showed up drunk on the sidelines during games. I wonder if Will Grier’s dad showed up and tried the same thing how that would of went?

Like him or not, Brown has upped the recruiting, brought in a better system (off the field) which is what he was hired to do. Last year he was tasked with delegating the OC to a new hire, which worked. With the players that were bought off the defense, the need will now switch to hiring a defensive staff and coordinator.

With the buyout being so high and Brown (other than winning ) has delivered what he was tasked with when hired: clean up the program, bring in better players build the program up the right way, he will have at least one more year to get it going.

That is what I think is going to happen when you hear the things being said by the people in charge.
Any more questions?

IT'S SAFE TO PUT THAT RUMOR TO REST NOW, HUH? WE'RE STUCK WITH NEAL BROWN FOR A 5TH UGLY SEASON.
5358805_web1_gtr-WVUfb15-042521.jpg

IT'S SAFE TO PUT THAT RUMOR TO REST NOW, HUH? WE'RE STUCK WITH NEAL BROWN FOR A 5TH UGLY SEASON.
Yes it appears so. No one that I know of rumored Wren and I did not see his name anywhere until it was announced and he was probably the most googled person yesterday morning.

We got ourselves a AD with a search committee that produced an guy with a resume that his biggest highlights is that he is a great fund raiser and securing money at small G5 schools.

His biggest fund raising challenge will be butts in the stands next year as the home attendance was brutal from Baylor to KSU. Safe play by Wren who can’t lose by keeping Brown around. He has too many excuses (which some are valid) not making a coaching change and I’m not 100% sure if he is ready to take on a coaching search at a power 5 school. Also he’ll buy some time with the same old cliché of wait until he gets his guy in there.

I personally hope the guy is the athletic director for 30 years and becomes a cornerstone of the University and has a tremendous career, but I can’t help to look at what has happened in the last 24 hours, especially with the immediate announcement keeping Brown for another year. This stinks of a yes man hire. Coming off the heels of Shane opening the curtain to the mess that is WVU, this is a perfect hire for Mr. A and Mr. G., their unwavering support totally of brown is commendable but it does translate that we cannot afford to fire him. And Shane is not the only person to blame for that mess.

We will probably never know if this was their first choice or even their second choice and the new members will give us better chances for wins next year so… yeah…

Reactions: deedoubleyou
So who on here has access to inside the football program and can identify the “woke” practice going on?
The only thing that anyone can blame Brown for doing is he walked with his players in a George Floyd March and allowed the team to have a BLM sticker on their helmet. There were no federal buildings damaged in Morgantown, no police cars turned over and set on fire or cops assaulted. For the players at WVU, it was a peaceful March that allowed them to exercise their rights. When the. actual agenda came out from the BLM movement, the stickers went away.

The firing of VC was out of Browns hands. That is the only thing that comes close to the “woke” treatment and Brown and his program were not at fault for it. If I were Brown, I would insist on bringing him back.

So continuing to label Brown as woke is a big stretch as well as it would be to label Holgersen as a choirboy.
Crying woke is just more shadow chasing and I laugh every time I see a post on here blaming it for the shitty situation in WVU football. Our problems began long before woke was a buzz word and any kind of movement on the far left. And if the university and athletic department were culturally woke, explain Huggy still being around, lol. Just because someone sucks (Gee, Neal, Lyons) doesn't mean they are far left (or far right), it just means they suck.

The Mountaineer Maga Board raises the universal Woke rallying cry once again to simplify the situation. I appreciate the posters who have added other reasons, arguments and topics to the list of possibilities why the program has sunk to the level it has. Not everything is a political conspiracy, and these same tired excuses are typical of what the maga bots have been trained to do.
Wow. If you don't feel that the culture change in this program has not made this team soft then I'll just let you tend to your garden.

Yes it appears so. No one that I know of rumored Wren and I did not see his name anywhere until it was announced and he was probably the most googled person yesterday morning.

We got ourselves a AD with a search committee that produced an guy with a resume that his biggest highlights is that he is a great fund raiser and securing money at small G5 schools.

His biggest fund raising challenge will be butts in the stands next year as the home attendance was brutal from Baylor to KSU. Safe play by Wren who can’t lose by keeping Brown around. He has too many excuses (which some are valid) not making a coaching change and I’m not 100% sure if he is ready to take on a coaching search at a power 5 school. Also he’ll buy some time with the same old cliché of wait until he gets his guy in there.

I personally hope the guy is the athletic director for 30 years and becomes a cornerstone of the University and has a tremendous career, but I can’t help to look at what has happened in the last 24 hours, especially with the immediate announcement keeping Brown for another year. This stinks of a yes man hire. Coming off the heels of Shane opening the curtain to the mess that is WVU, this is a perfect hire for Mr. A and Mr. G., their unwavering support totally of brown is commendable but it does translate that we cannot afford to fire him. And Shane is not the only person to blame for that mess.

We will probably never know if this was their first choice or even their second choice and the new members will give us better chances for wins next year so… yeah…
Agree. On the fundraising, how does one get people to give more money, get people to buy season tickets etc. when there is no real reason for any optimism about the program.

As you mentioned look at the dismal attendance end of last year. When PSU beats WVU in the first game next year under Brown how much worse does that get?

Can't believe this AD was first or even second choice but we won't ever know. Do know that he did not review the situation of the coach before that announcement from the interim that all's good now, keep spending time and money on WVU (with no change to any of the problem areas outside incompetent Lyons).

Crying woke is just more shadow chasing and I laugh every time I see a post on here blaming it for the shitty situation in WVU football. Our problems began long before woke was a buzz word and any kind of movement on the far left. And if the university and athletic department were culturally woke, explain Huggy still being around, lol. Just because someone sucks (Gee, Neal, Lyons) doesn't mean they are far left (or far right), it just means they suck.
Crying woke is just some racists trying to inject radical right wing propaganda into every discussion on anything and everything when it has no place anywhere.

WVU isn't "woke" by their actions or hirings, far closer to radical right. There hasn't been any "culture change" and "woke" has nothing to do with Brown being a terrible hire and worse extension, or the crisis in the AD that looks like will exist for years to come now.

Agree. On the fundraising, how does one get people to give more money, get people to buy season tickets etc. when there is no real reason for any optimism about the program.

As you mentioned look at the dismal attendance end of last year. When PSU beats WVU in the first game next year under Brown how much worse does that get?

Can't believe this AD was first or even second choice but we won't ever know. Do know that he did not review the situation of the coach before that announcement from the interim that all's good now, keep spending time and money on WVU (with no change to any of the problem areas outside incompetent Lyons).
You idiot lol. Do you realize he won’t be starting as WVU AD until 12/19? He’s probably working out his notice at North Texas.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Crying woke is just some racists trying to inject radical right wing propaganda into every discussion on anything and everything when it has no place anywhere.

WVU isn't "woke" by their actions or hirings, far closer to radical right. There hasn't been any "culture change" and "woke" has nothing to do with Brown being a terrible hire and worse extension, or the crisis in the AD that looks like will exist for years to come now.
I don't know how you crammed that much wrong into one post. Congrats.

We ended up with this guy because every person they called before him said "What would be my second course of action after I send this dipshit off to pack up his office?"

We ended up with this guy because every person they called before him said "What would be my second course of action after I send this dipshit off to pack up his office?"
Do you people have a governing board or something that sits around making up storylines or does it just come natural?

Wow. If you don't feel that the culture change in this program has not made this team soft then I'll just let you tend to your garden.
Cute. I believe culture change is one of several factors in our current dilemma, however it is a smaller factor than a few others I would consider. My point was the simplification of the reasons toward wokeness or culture climate alone is typical of a few posters with their hard on for politics. I stated I appreciated the other viewpoints on here that expand on this naïveté. Your response has educated me about your position, and tending my garden is not the putdown you may cleverly think it is. Bless.

Cute. I believe culture change is one of several factors in our current dilemma, however it is a smaller factor than a few others I would consider. My point was the simplification of the reasons toward wokeness or culture climate alone is typical of a few posters with their hard on for politics. I stated I appreciated the other viewpoints on here that expand on this naïveté. Your response has educated me about your position, and tending my garden is not the putdown you may cleverly think it is. Bless.
It wasn't meant as a put down. If you are that disconnected from the state of this program then the "ignorance is bliss" plan might be your best call. Cheers.

Here is my two cents on Rich Rod. I truly believe he did a hell of a job while he was here and I would personally like to see him back for nostalgia and obviously that old success that we used to have.
The main question is does his way of coaching exist anymore. NIL and The Portal allows players who get their feelings hurt leave w/o consequence. RR teams were well disciplined and he was a great coach teaching discipline to the players.

You can be a hard ass “my way or the highway” Coach at Jacksonville St. because their is now where to go from there. Here, you can get upset and go down to a Jacksonville St or somewhere else when you get pushed.

Not sure the RR style will work…..but it really does appear this could be an extreme reality in a few weeks now that the smoke is thicker today than it has ever been. I just don’t think we will give this “Home run Hire the University needed to close with our candidate and it appears the deal is closed” a head coach of his choosing unless RR was his guy?
Haven’t you heard??? WVU is not that f-ing special.

ADVERTISEMENT