ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Thanksgiving to my Mountaineer and Pens friends!

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
From your friend(s) north of the border....a Pens win over the Blues starts things off well...hopefully the Mountaineers can keep the streak going this Saturday!....have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend!

Thanks t....and I don't recall if we were good enough to offer Thanksgiving good wishes to you last month. It was obviously well acknowledged on NHLN Radio and TV, but it's easy to NOT pay all that much attention to it as, frankly, Americans.

Anyway, I decided to recheck timing on Canadian Thanksgiving, and found it falls officially on the second Monday of October......much like "ours" which obviously falls on the last Thursday in November. But the site said the Canadian Maritime provinces apparently do NOT officially observe Thanksgiving, while "Federally-regulated institutions" apparently DO observe it.

Is the fact the Maritimes don't observe the Holiday commonly recognized in the remainder of Canada......maybe they're just not all THAT thankful in Sid's hometown.....and do you happen to know the reason WHY they don't observe it there ???

Maybe the rest of Canada is thankful THEY'RE separated from the Maritimes.....

Hmmm....I honestly had no idea of the idea they didn't celebrate Thanksgiving out east?!? Gonna have to do some investigation on that one...seems real strange doesn't it?...I'm 100% convinced however that the rest of Canada love those maritime folk it's the Quebecois element of the country that quite a few have issue (s) with really...I can't fully entrench myself in that camp however...I do find them complaining an awful lot in La Belle Provence, but I also view them as a distinct and important member of our federation...oh and I just love both Quebec City and Montreal...plus we need their hockey players badly when competing international!:wink:

One thing I've always been curious of myself is why are the Thanksgiving dates different and more than a month apart? I always assumed it was because the harvest time is a bit later in the US , but in thinking it's certainly not a month and half different in comparing your neck of the woods in Ohio to mine in Ontario...is it?
Another thing happening up here over the last few years is Black Friday sales all over the place (something we really NEVER had before)...something tells me this started when our dollar's were essentially at par, and retailers here realized they had to compete more effectively in stemming the tide of cross border shopping , keeping more $ in Canada...

I think tonight is a VERY important November game......if there really IS such a thing.....for the Pens. Coming off arguably their best performance of the season against a St Louis team built physically just like the Blue Jackets, they should enter the game with some confidence. They lose the last change which they had on Wednesday, but I hope it's not a huge deal.

They need to make a statement SOMETIME against Columbus; a team which knows exactly how to consistently beat them. MAF obviously needs to dramatically sharpen up his game, and Sid and Geno need to keep up their recent good play. And as always, they need to get one past Bob relatively early to keep him from gaining too much confidence.

I think tonight is a VERY important November game......if there really IS such a thing.....for the Pens. Coming off arguably their best performance of the season against a St Louis team built physically just like the Blue Jackets, they should enter the game with some confidence. They lose the last change which they had on Wednesday, but I hope it's not a huge deal.

They need to make a statement SOMETIME against Columbus; a team which knows exactly how to consistently beat them. MAF obviously needs to dramatically sharpen up his game, and Sid and Geno need to keep up their recent good play. And as always, they need to get one past Bob relatively early to keep him from gaining too much confidence.
Agree 100%...proved they can compete with these bigger squads the other night...and actually looked bigger in doing so if that makes any sense? Looking forward to tuning in to this one!....although I may flip over to the Baylor/TCU once or twice to see if these backup qb's can keep up the offensive pace...

Pens outshot 13-4 in the first 7 minutes of play......missed those minutes, as my cable is screwed up tonight.

Anytime the Blue Jackets are playing, the Center Ice broadcast is blacked out in Fox Sports markets (forcing me to watch the Columbus broadcast). However, Fox is also carrying the Cleveland Cavaliers tonight; so the Jackets were moved to a Fox alternate channel (which the channel guide wasn't showing).

Happily, I figured it out (and missed seeing the Pens get dominated early)..

I was just going to message the same lol...man alive!....if by some miracle the BJ's make the playoffs let's hope we don't get that draw!......then again I am suppositioning that our lads will make it....not if they play like this they won't!

Good grief...wake up!!!

Significantly more push back in this 2nd...I don't know if it was the camera angles we were seeing or not but they were physically beating the Pens all over the boards in the first...Flower deserves a ton of credit for allowing us to possibly steal one here....AND...although I DO NOT want to see him injured it was imo nice to see Geno drop the gloves, and go at Johnson...he's been engaged tonight quite a bit...love it.

Last edited:
Things getting charged up......

Dubinsky proves, as is his normal routine versus the Pens, that he's the dirtiest player in the building. Malkin proves, as is his normal routine against Columbus, that he can be continuously goaded into penalties. Pens PP continues to be largely a joke; can't move the puck with any kind of authority, still getting passes picked off, and can't hit an open man in front with a decent pass.

Blue Jackets know every way to leverage their superior size and emotion when these two teams get together. But MAF standing tall; maybe he steals one.....first, the Pens need to actually get a few decent scoring chances and actually let loose a couple decent shots. I'm worried that Dubinsky may have concussed Sid with those cross checks to the head; especially the one when he was down on the ice.

Somebody needs to spear his dirty ass......

Significantly more push back in this 2nd...I don't know if it was the camera angles we were seeing or not but they were physically beating the Pens all over the boards in the first...Flower deserves a ton of credit for allowing us to possibly steal one here....AND...although I DO NOT want to see him injured it was imo nice to see Geno drop the gloves, and go at Johnson...he's been engaged tonight quite a bit...love it.

I have no problem with what Johnson did on that exchange, nor with Geno giving it back to JJ.

Well....there goes that...at least the point I suppose...
Prior to my previous statement...Dubinsky is an asshat, but then I forgot...the 100% dirtiest damned player I have ever seen. In the entire OHL who played for the dirtbag Generals also happens to play for Columbus....Jenner! He by my estimate has maimed through various stickwork, hits from behind, and general clown behaviour at least a half dozen Peterborough Petes...He is my most hated player in the entire league...thank goodness we didn't hear from him tonight, cause it would have been for all the wrong reasons...damn do I hate that F*CK£R!!!
Regroup and take care of the Oil....

Game really ended as it should have; as usual, the Blue Jackets had more energy and aggressiveness the entire game, and the Pens were actually lucky they got a point. They were dominated in the 3 on 3. Meanwhile, I thought MAF looked slow coming back post to post before being beaten on the Jackets first goal......did you see that ???

Finally, the funniest moment of the entire game was when lard ass Hartnell tried to beat dead add Scuderi on a rush down the near wing......been awhile since I saw two slower skaters against one another in a pretty long while.

It's never been any kind of coincidence that Jenner and Dubinsky play on the same line......and for ALL the shit those two and Johnson and Hartnell and Foligno dished out, the ONLY thing the Columbus announcers could do is cry about Hornqvist and Kunitz.

Columbus homer broadcasters blatantly root as much as anyone in the League with the possible exception of that asshole Jack Edwards on Bruins broadcasts. That's what makes their broadcasts so hard to watch; and I'm stuck with them due to the Center Ice blackouts.

I sure did (I regards to the first Columbus goal)...As we know MAF can be magnificent and then at times have a brain cramp. I can only put it down to that? He's one of the quicker goaltenders in the league...injury perhaps otherwise?

And yes...after about 20 mins the broadcast was causing me to be nauseous....you obviously know a heck of a lot more than me but based on the makeup of the team in Columbus, and the attitude of the broadcast crew, It sure as heck seems to this guy that they have successfully modeled themselves after the Bruins and Cryers...with about the same success rate as those poor Philly folk If they're lucky...

Being that Columbus is somewhat close to your backyard CM...have you been to any games there and what did you think if so? Any of the games I have watched broadcast from there the crowd seems involved...hopefully not in a Cryers dirtbag sort of way....honestly just curious...

Haven't seen a game in Columbus since their inaugural season; my Company had four Club seats about 7 rows up from the glass (they lost that night to Colorado). Still probably THE best seat I've ever had for a hockey game; and Nationwide is a terrific building in a really neat section of town called the Arena District.

Jackets are not a good home team......and they don't draw well at all (they might be dead last in the League in attendance). But ever since the Pens put them on the map in the playoffs two years ago, nobody charges up the Blue Jackets fan base quite lIke Pittsburgh (and the franchise desperately needed the Pens as a rival).

Pens fans always bought a TON of seats in Columbus, too; but I don't have any good idea if that's still true. But, NONE of that really matters anymore since the Pens can't beat them these days.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT