ADVERTISEMENT

Handmade Kitchen Knives?

Sapphireer

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Wow! It looks like activity on this board has slowed to a crawl. I haven't been here in a while and it looks like I'm not the only one who has cut back their visits.

Anyway, I came to find out who has purchased a high quality handmade kitchen knife for hundreds of dollars. I saw a guy on the Cooking Channel the other day that makes about five knives a week and sells them for $350 to $650 depending on size. So I started Googling and he and other knife makers have quite a niche, or so it seems because there are many happy customers providing great reviews.

Who here can recommend a high quality handmade kitchen knife?

Wow! It looks like activity on this board has slowed to a crawl. I haven't been here in a while and it looks like I'm not the only one who has cut back their visits.

Anyway, I came to find out who has purchased a high quality handmade kitchen knife for hundreds of dollars. I saw a guy on the Cooking Channel the other day that makes about five knives a week and sells them for $350 to $650 depending on size. So I started Googling and he and other knife makers have quite a niche, or so it seems because there are many happy customers providing great reviews.

Who here can recommend a high quality handmade kitchen knife?
Just curious why you want a "handmade kitchen knife"? I'm not sure what qualifies as hand made. I can recommend "two non hand made": the Victorinox 40520 which a very good high quality chefs knife at a great price. If you are also in the market for a great slicing knife at a good price you might be interested in the Victorinox 40645. I've used Forschner / Victorinox knives for years.

Just curious why you want a "handmade kitchen knife"? I'm not sure what qualifies as hand made. I can recommend "two non hand made": the Victorinox 40520 which a very good high quality chefs knife at a great price. If you are also in the market for a great slicing knife at a good price you might be interested in the Victorinox 40645. I've used Forschner / Victorinox knives for years.
I'm not sure I want a hand made knife, that's why I posted, to see if anyone has plunked down some big bucks on one. This guy in Brooklyn got a bit of a promo on a TV show I was watching, so I looked him up out of curiosity. He's not alone, I've found numerous others who take a piece of steel and turn it into a high priced knife.

I'm not looking to break the bank on a knife, but I'm intrigued. I'll definitely check out your recommendations.

I know of a guy who is living in Morgantown that is talking about re-opening his forge there. He did make knives for the re-enactor and primitive hunting folks. I've got one of his skinning knives, antler handled, crafted from an old truck spring. I got it as a Father's Day gift last year as he's interested in my oldest daughter and sold it to her at cost.

I want to say he's originally from Shepardstown, but I'm not 100 % on that. None of these guys work are cheap, it's a handcrafted product that takes a ton of work. Art's and crafts fests with a heritage theme are a good place to locate these guys, they show their basic wares there, sell a few that are ready and concentrate on getting orders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT