ADVERTISEMENT

Guys I think if WVU

sammyk

All-Conference
Oct 26, 2001
Were in the ACC the backyard brawl would be the best rivalry game in the ACC. If PITT were in the Big 12 the brawl would be the biggest rivalry game in the conference in the future . If both were in thebBIG it would be top4. I know the game is over but it was awesome to watch and was one hell of a game.

Were in the ACC the backyard brawl would be the best rivalry game in the ACC. If PITT were in the Big 12 the brawl would be the biggest rivalry game in the conference in the future . If both were in thebBIG it would be top4. I know the game is over but it was awesome to watch and was one hell of a game.
Really. No one knew that lol.

Really. No one knew that lol.
No a lot of people here in North Carolina had no clue it was like that. In fact the UNC message board was questioning the impact the real would have if WVU were in the ACC. I was like look it would be the premiere game annually if both were in the ACC. Was at the Duke VS Temple game and was taking to a Duke fan and he was like that PITT vs WVU game was awesome. I said yea I have seen several and yea it’s special

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I think WVU vs Syracuse, VT, Louisville, well hell, just about any team in the ACC would be more interesting than a lot of ACC conference games. WVU very under rated as to what they bring to the table. That being said, the ACC can eat S*&t and die.

Reactions: Pitt5593
I would bet that Pitt will eventually be
In the B12. The CFP may have paused more consolidation, but I believe the networks want less entities to deal with so realignment will continue eventually

The Big Ten should sit up and take notice. If Pitt and WVU were in the Big Ten there would be big games every year. WVU - Pitt, Pitt - Penn State, WVU - Penn State, WVU - Ohio State, Pitt-Ohio State. Regional rivals. They could also take out the only feasible option for the ACC to expand, other than ND, to create regional rivals and I don't really see ND to be a rival with any ACC teams.

Reactions: Pitt5593
The Big Ten should sit up and take notice. If Pitt and WVU were in the Big Ten there would be big games every year. WVU - Pitt, Pitt - Penn State, WVU - Penn State, WVU - Ohio State, Pitt-Ohio State. Regional rivals. They could also take out the only feasible option for the ACC to expand, other than ND, to create regional rivals and I don't really see ND to be a rival with any ACC teams.
Listen, they don’t care. It’s like politics, they’re disconnected from what the people want.

The ACC has not ever shown an interest in adding WVU and that isn’t changing. With the ACC in the sights of the SEC and probably B10 for future expansion, the stability that league has is based on a GOR that schools are seeking a means to exit now. FSUs President stated they will be aggressive in realignment and he didn’t mean adding anyone to the ACC he meant getting FSU somewhere else.

WVU should continue to try to schedule old rivals such as Pitt and VT because they are great games for fans and viewers. But WVU is in the BIG 12- has been for A decade. This isn’t likely to change through the early 2030s after which time WVU will have been a member for two decades- as long as they have been affiliated with anyone ever pretty much.

WVU fans need to embrace this instead of listening to those who want to steer WVU fans to root for someplace WVU isn’t going Rather than supporting their conference and conference mates- the BIG 12.

Best thing for WVU —need to work harder at improving the program back to having winning seasons and winning some big national TV games including against old rivals, not trying to worry about joining a league they aren’t going to be in while destabilizing where they are and will be.

Last edited:
The ACC has not ever shown an interest in adding WVU and that isn’t changing. With the ACC in the sights of the SEC and probably B10 for future expansion, the stability that league has is based on a GOR that schools are seeking a means to exit now. FSUs President stated they will be aggressive in realignment and he didn’t mean adding anyone to the ACC he meant getting FSU somewhere else.

WVU should continue to try to schedule old rivals such as Pitt and VT because they are great games for fans and viewers. But WVU is in the BIG 12- has been for A decade. This isn’t likely to change through the early 2030s after which time WVU will have been a member for two decades- as long as they have been affiliated with anyone ever pretty much.

WVU fans need to embrace this instead of listening to those who want to steer WVU fans to root for someplace WVU isn’t going Rather than supporting their conference and conference mates- the BIG 12.

Best thing for WVU —need to work harder at improving the program back to having winning seasons and winning some big national TV games including against old rivals, not trying to worry about joining a league they aren’t going to be in while destabilizing where they are and will be.
I agree with you. WVU should always play pitt and somehow rotate VT. Penn St Maryland Syracuse into the mix

Reactions: Volatility
I agree with you. WVU should always play pitt and somehow rotate VT. Penn St Maryland Syracuse into the mix
Yep....

Play 11 P5 (More revenues for the program compared to if they just played 10, which helps us mitigate the income gap from what we receive from the BIG12-- Which is 1-2 more P5 games then many in the SEC & BigTen play)

Pitt every year Or every other year with rotating Home/Away

Then Rotate:

OSU
PSU
VT
Tenn
Maryland
Michigan

I know Tennessee hasnt been a rival historically, but they are close proximity, and they also have a wired fanbase which makes for a great game environment. Or.... Kentucky OR Louisville... But out of those three, I think Id rather play Tennessee...

Maryland, PSU, Pitt, Kentucky, VT, Louisville, OSU, Michigan are who I would like to see in our OOC schedule... Honestly I really dont care for WVU to play Syracuse... I just dont see that as a value add.. Being we are so close to OSU, Im not sure why or how we never got into playing them much... I think EVERYONE would love to play OSU/Michigan/PSU, all fanbases from both programs would like those matchups. I think if we played Pitt at least every other year( Odd or Even years), if you did it that way, for both P5 OOC spots we could keep 4 programs in the 2 year rotation.

YEAR1
= Pitt Away
= D2 Opponent Home
= PSU Home

Year2
= VTech Home
= D2 Opponent Home
= Tenn Away

Year3
= Pitt Home
= D2 Oppo Home
= PSU Away

Year4
= VTech Away
= D2 Oppo Home
= Tenn Home

Year5
= Pitt Away
= D2 Home
= Michigan Home

Year6
Maryland Home
D2 Home
Kentucky Away

You always keep Pitt in the 2 year rotation, but rotate the other 3 slots. While I know playing 11 P5 is tough on a team, esp when its in "Build mode", though after this year I think we'll be in a spot where we have much higher talent+experience consistency from year to year, now that Brown has had time to recruit and correct the deviation he inherited. So we should see a program on the verge of raising up a level. In which case, if we are winning the majority of our OOC games, that would further help recruiting, esp vs programs we recruit against..

The PITT vs WVU game has a National TV Audience as verified by the recent Nielsen TV broadcast rating of 3.152 million viewers.

Since its been about 11 years, for the WVU fans who attended the game (not game results) what did you think about Pittsburgh (city) and the development on the North Shore (positive or negative game day experience).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I have lived in Cincinnati for 30+ years and I was very impressed with the city of Pittsburgh. Game experience was great but wouldn't expect anything else considering it was the Back Yard Brawl, and except for the outcome of course.

Every game of every BIg 12 school falls under the conference TV contract except for 1 game each school retains for their third tier outlet, unless the conference and school(s) involved agree to a deal to give up another game ( UT has to compensate the conference if they want a second game on the LHN until they are gone as an example). But that doesn’t provide additional revenues for BIg 12 schools in OOC games.

In those games— like WVU at Pitt, basically you exchange a home game for a home game. You compensate lower level schools for playing only on your home field. WVU will get a home game from Pitt for that visit to Pitt.

I think the conference/ schools may get a bit more money for those big kickoff classic type events but thats probably just travel money for the schools involved. There really are few of those for the BIG 12 to date since WVU has been in it— WVU played in most of those I think— I.e. against TN in Charlotte or Alabama in ATL.

If you want to make the playoffs, playing 11 P5 schools out of 12 is probably not the way to get there. Conferences with the most success getting there have been SEC and ACC, both of which play an 8 game conference schedule and ( sometimes some schools) play one OOC game of 4 against a major opponent. They play 2 or 3 lower level schools at home to start each year before only 8 conference games ( SEc schools play an fcs or G5 in November also at home) and only missed playoff 1 time- the ACC didn’t get in last year.

Rumors have been the SEC going to a 9 game conference schedule once UT and Ou are in For ESPN to pay them more money. With the playoff expanding they won’t be hurt for long if at all.

Last edited:
If you want to make the playoffs, playing 11 P5 schools out of 12 is probably not the way to get there. Conferences with the most success getting there have been SEC and ACC, both of which play an 8 game conference schedule and ( sometimes some schools) play one OOC game of 4 against a major opponent. They play 2 or 3 lower level schools at home to start each year before only 8 conference games ( SEc schools play an fcs or G5 in November also at home) and only missed playoff 1 time- the ACC didn’t get in last year.

Rumors have been the SEC going to a 9 game conference schedule once UT and Ou are in For ESPN to pay them more money. With the playoff expanding they won’t be hurt for long if at all.
The biggest advantage of a bigger conference is that you don't have to play everyone and don't have to get beaten to death by other conference foes as the Big12 will do. I did love the 10 team format but those days are gone. I'd like the Big12 go to 16 or 18 teams, have two divisions and play old rivals spread out over the years and a lower division win every year.

VT and UVA gets a bit intense

Oklahoma State Grad here and wanted you all to know that IMO it would be sad if WVU was in any other conference than the Big 12.

WVU has fit in the Big 12 like an old shoe. I know geography has been difficult but culturally on our end, it has been great.

I watched your game with Pit and was rooting hard for you all and OSU played at the same time.

I know in this day and age, everyone has to do whats best for each other but wanted to let you know that there are others in the Big 12 that would be sad to see you leave.

BTW with OU leaving, we dont really have a rivalry. You guys looking for one?

Good luck the rest of the year and looks forward to our game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT