ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Grier not playing in bowl game

oooohhhh.... you got me there. With Draftblaster too. The Thinking Man's Guide to the Draft. And to think that this discussion is a race to be won, with you ahead and me behind. Tsk Tsk.

See, I don't need anyone to do my THINKING for me or to GUIDE my thoughts. I didn't include Sills in my argument because he is playing in the game. It was you who took umbrage with the issue of those not playing in the game, not me. The way I see it David Sills is doing what he feels is best for him and his future. Good for him. I hope it works out for him. Same as I do Grier and Cajuste.

Maybe Sills goes in the first or second round. I really hope so. I hope he gets his millions, too. Your gold standard, Draftblaster, says Grier goes 9th overall. Cajuste goes in the second round as does Sills late in a trade from Seattle. Didn't go on past that to see if any other Mountaineer gets drafted.

So, I have to ask: Does Grier not playing in this game move him farther back in the draft? Cajuste too? Does Sills move up in the draft based on his play against Syracuse?

You may have to consult Draftblaster or some such resource but let me answer it for you - the answer is no. So, if it doesn't hurt you to play in the game or help you play in the game, why can't you let the man make the decision he feels is best for him, just live with it and wish him the best instead of whining about it on here?

Unlike you, I want what's best for Sills. And Grier. And Cajuste. And any other Mountaineer who decides pro football is for him. Even for those who don't or can't make it happen. I want it to be THEIR choice and for them to take whatever steps THEY feel is best for them and their families and futures.

I don't live vicariously through them so I can live with their decision either way.

Unfortunately, you do and can't.

oooohhhh.... you got me there. With Draftblaster too. The Thinking Man's Guide to the Draft. And to think that this discussion is a race to be won, with you ahead and me behind. Tsk Tsk.

See, I don't need anyone to do my THINKING for me or to GUIDE my thoughts. I didn't include Sills in my argument because he is playing in the game. It was you who took umbrage with the issue of those not playing in the game, not me. The way I see it David Sills is doing what he feels is best for him and his future. Good for him. I hope it works out for him. Same as I do Grier and Cajuste.

Maybe Sills goes in the first or second round. I really hope so. I hope he gets his millions, too. Your gold standard, Draftblaster, says Grier goes 9th overall. Cajuste goes in the second round as does Sills late in a trade from Seattle. Didn't go on past that to see if any other Mountaineer gets drafted.

So, I have to ask: Does Grier not playing in this game move him farther back in the draft? Cajuste too? Does Sills move up in the draft based on his play against Syracuse?

You may have to consult Draftblaster or some such resource but let me answer it for you - the answer is no. So, if it doesn't hurt you to play in the game or help you play in the game, why can't you let the man make the decision he feels is best for him, just live with it and wish him the best instead of whining about it on here?

Unlike you, I want what's best for Sills. And Grier. And Cajuste. And any other Mountaineer who decides pro football is for him. Even for those who don't or can't make it happen. I want it to be THEIR choice and for them to take whatever steps THEY feel is best for them and their families and futures.

I don't live vicariously through them so I can live with their decision either way.

Unfortunately, you do and can't.

Iā€™m not living vicariously through anyone. I believe in commitment to your university and your teammates. Obviously it is too difficult of a concept for you to understand since you have repeatedly displayed your idiocy. Thanks again.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I understand where you are coming from. I too believe in commitment. It just seems your definition and mine are a little different.

To me, you commit yourself to becoming the best player you can be. In the weight room, the film room, the classroom, in... well.. every way. That's the way you commit to your team - to be the best teammate you can be by doing your job the best you can.

But, at the same time, you also have to commit to your future. You must commit to making the best decisions for yourself. Quitting football due to injury, like that QB we had a couple of years ago did, or not playing in a bowl game to get an early start in preparation for your pro career, It doesn't make you a quitter or a quitter on your team. Real teammates understand - sometimes better things and bad things come along so you commit to making that your new reality.

This game against Syracuse - that's the present. Grier and Cajuste are committing to their futures one game early. A game that is meaningless for their future to play in with all risk and no reward.

That's my definition. It isn't difficult to understand.

Oh, and thank you. Good day.

Reactions: Phil
About 95 percent of the posters on here are homers to you.

The way you see things is totally irrelevant to me.

Not at all. Iā€™d say 1/3 are homers. You for sure canā€™t critique WVU or deal with the fact that WVU is just an ok program. Nothing great. Youā€™re a homer and thatā€™s that.

Not at all. Iā€™d say 1/3 are homers. You for sure canā€™t critique WVU or deal with the fact that WVU is just an ok program. Nothing great. Youā€™re a homer and thatā€™s that.
LMAO. Well, if you say so then....and unlike goofs like you and suckeye fan, my day isn't ruined by what WVU does or doesn't do a football field or court.

Sorry to disappoint you. But you probably tell your wife that every night don't you.

I understand where you are coming from. I too believe in commitment. It just seems your definition and mine are a little different.

To me, you commit yourself to becoming the best player you can be. In the weight room, the film room, the classroom, in... well.. every way. That's the way you commit to your team - to be the best teammate you can be by doing your job the best you can.

But, at the same time, you also have to commit to your future. You must commit to making the best decisions for yourself. Quitting football due to injury, like that QB we had a couple of years ago did, or not playing in a bowl game to get an early start in preparation for your pro career, It doesn't make you a quitter or a quitter on your team. Real teammates understand - sometimes better things and bad things come along so you commit to making that your new reality.

This game against Syracuse - that's the present. Grier and Cajuste are committing to their futures one game early. A game that is meaningless for their future to play in with all risk and no reward.

That's my definition. It isn't difficult to understand.

Oh, and thank you. Good day.

He's a quitter. There is a game to be played and he is letting his teammates down. Sills isn't. Grier is choosing to play in the Senior Bowl, where he risks injury and is not playing for his team or the university in the TEAM's bowl game. The university shelled out tens of thousands of dollars on him. If he's so scared of getting hurt, why didn't he take out an insurance policy?

He's not a team player and he's a quitter.

Reactions: Rootmaster
He's a quitter. There is a game to be played and he is letting his teammates down. Sills isn't. Grier is choosing to play in the Senior Bowl, where he risks injury and is not playing for his team or the university in the TEAM's bowl game. The university shelled out tens of thousands of dollars on him. If he's so scared of getting hurt, why didn't he take out an insurance policy?

Do you know for a fact he did not take out a policy?

Ok... I think I see the difference now. Just a few things to clear up.

To you, this bowl game holds extreme value against a strong opponent that we can win only if Will Grier plays. Correct?

To me, its a glorified scrimmage with no value either way other than getting some extra practices in for next years squad. Plus, we get a preview of what next year's team might look like with Allison at the helm. That could be a good thing, right?

You see Will and Yodney as quitters who are potentially causing their team to lose this game. I see them as doing what they think best for their futures. That would be a fair assessment, correct?

You alluded, in an earlier post, that Will was not the reason the team was 8-3 and that he was responsible for two of those losses. I believe he is the reason we are 8-3. So, if you believe he is the person responsible for 2 of those losses, why would you want him playing in a game that holds this much value in your eyes? Wouldn't you WANT him to "quit" and not play so we have a better chance of winning?

Would you be equally upset if Matt Bezjak, Dante Bonamico, or Lorenzo Door didn't play for some reason? I wouldn't, as long as they are doing what they feel is best for their future. According to the logic you've prescribed the answer is yes but I'll let you determine if that is true.

Just checked the roster of the Senior Bowl. Grier, Cajuste, Sills, and Wesco have all accepted an invite to play. The reason they are doing this, I assume, is to show pro scouts what they can do and possibly be a higher pick in the draft. You believe that preparing for this game early and not playing in the bowl game makes one a quitter. I see it as being sound financially and eliminating a possible risk to your financial future. Agreed?

You stated that the university has shelled out thousands for Grier (and I would assume the others also) so he has an obligation to play in this important bowl game to show his appreciation for that? Correct? I see it that while WVU has shelled out thousands for him and the rest, they have brought in MILLIONS to the university and have more than paid that debt back in full. Am I right on that?

Just seeking some clarification on some things.... we seem to be making progress.

Ok... I think I see the difference now. Just a few things to clear up.

To you, this bowl game holds extreme value against a strong opponent that we can win only if Will Grier plays. Correct?

To me, its a glorified scrimmage with no value either way other than getting some extra practices in for next years squad. Plus, we get a preview of what next year's team might look like with Allison at the helm. That could be a good thing, right?

You see Will and Yodney as quitters who are potentially causing their team to lose this game. I see them as doing what they think best for their futures. That would be a fair assessment, correct?

You alluded, in an earlier post, that Will was not the reason the team was 8-3 and that he was responsible for two of those losses. I believe he is the reason we are 8-3. So, if you believe he is the person responsible for 2 of those losses, why would you want him playing in a game that holds this much value in your eyes? Wouldn't you WANT him to "quit" and not play so we have a better chance of winning?

Would you be equally upset if Matt Bezjak, Dante Bonamico, or Lorenzo Door didn't play for some reason? I wouldn't, as long as they are doing what they feel is best for their future. According to the logic you've prescribed the answer is yes but I'll let you determine if that is true.

Just checked the roster of the Senior Bowl. Grier, Cajuste, Sills, and Wesco have all accepted an invite to play. The reason they are doing this, I assume, is to show pro scouts what they can do and possibly be a higher pick in the draft. You believe that preparing for this game early and not playing in the bowl game makes one a quitter. I see it as being sound financially and eliminating a possible risk to your financial future. Agreed?

You stated that the university has shelled out thousands for Grier (and I would assume the others also) so he has an obligation to play in this important bowl game to show his appreciation for that? Correct? I see it that while WVU has shelled out thousands for him and the rest, they have brought in MILLIONS to the university and have more than paid that debt back in full. Am I right on that?

Just seeking some clarification on some things.... we seem to be making progress.

Oh, I see. You are in the crowd of whiners that only certain games mean anything and if you don't make the playoffs, then you whine and say the game doesn't mean anything. I knew guys like you growing up. We beat them and knocked them out of the championship game so their excuse for losing the consolation game (for third place) was "it didn't mean anything."

I also knew guys who would give their best even if they were playing in a cow pasture at night by car headlights with only a handful of people watching. Those people are like David Sills.

I completely understand you taking up for Grier.

Just checked the roster of the Senior Bowl. Grier, Cajuste, Sills, and Wesco have all accepted an invite to play. The reason they are doing this, I assume, is to show pro scouts what they can do and possibly be a higher pick in the draft

Which is precisely why Grier and Cajuste are quitters by bailing on their team mates. I'm guessing that you have never been on a team past t-ball in your life. Bottom line...you show your character in the trenches by coming through when your team needs you. If character is a consideration in draft depth then these two losers are falling down regardless of their Senior Bowl showcase farce. F them.

Reactions: countryroads89
Which is precisely why Grier and Cajuste are quitters by bailing on their team mates. I'm guessing that you have never been on a team past t-ball in your life. Bottom line...you show your character in the trenches by coming through when your team needs you. If character is a consideration in draft depth then these two losers are falling down regardless of their Senior Bowl showcase farce. F them.

Not in a trench... Bowl game in nice location where the players mostly party. Many will get laid.

Oh, I see. You are in the crowd of whiners that only certain games mean anything and if you don't make the playoffs, then you whine and say the game doesn't mean anything. I knew guys like you growing up. We beat them and knocked them out of the championship game so their excuse for losing the consolation game (for third place) was "it didn't mean anything."

I also knew guys who would give their best even if they were playing in a cow pasture at night by car headlights with only a handful of people watching. Those people are like David Sills.

I completely understand you taking up for Grier.

Yep. I guess I am in that crowd. Yet, I'm not the one whining here. You see, my life didn't peak in high school. Therefore, a high school game didn't have any bearing in my future. I don't live in the past and see the world through the lens that a game played years ago was the highlight of my life. Ergo, when someone doesn't play that game, they are letting you down because, by proxy, you get to relive that win you had back in school one more time. Congrats on that win and oh yeah my condolences too.

Kudos to those of you who played in cow pastures at night. I find those people to be pretty dumb. I could always find the time to play during the daylight hours. I guess that's why we lost back then, huh.

Since you couldn't answer the questions asked of you, and this jibberish of high school games and cow pasture battles is all you have, this pretty much means the discussion is over, huh? If implied insults is all you have to give good luck with reconciling the fact Will Grier is doing what he thinks best for himself and his family. Maybe the principal will let you in the school to hold and polish the trophy to make yourself feel better.

Yep. I guess I am in that crowd. Yet, I'm not the one whining here. You see, my life didn't peak in high school. Therefore, a high school game didn't have any bearing in my future. I don't live in the past and see the world through the lens that a game played years ago was the highlight of my life. Ergo, when someone doesn't play that game, they are letting you down because, by proxy, you get to relive that win you had back in school one more time. Congrats on that win and oh yeah my condolences too.

Kudos to those of you who played in cow pastures at night. I find those people to be pretty dumb. I could always find the time to play during the daylight hours. I guess that's why we lost back then, huh.

Since you couldn't answer the questions asked of you, and this jibberish of high school games and cow pasture battles is all you have, this pretty much means the discussion is over, huh? If implied insults is all you have to give good luck with reconciling the fact Will Grier is doing what he thinks best for himself and his family. Maybe the principal will let you in the school to hold and polish the trophy to make yourself feel better.

LMAO! Make assumptions about a message board stranger's life, whom you know nothing about, to make yourself feel better about your own miserable life.

Congrats?

Is this really about their teammates or about you? Do you think the team is going to throw fits, trash the hotel or the stadium, hunt Will Grier down and beat him up or make death threats to his wife or anything else if they lose this game? Of course not. All will be forgotten by January 1 when they start preparing for September 1.

I've been on some teams. We won some and lost some. Apparently, the reason we lost was because we didn't practice in cow pastures at night under the headlights. Oh well... ce la vie.

Your character is better shown in what you do from January to December. It's those "trenches" that count more - not what you do or don't do on December 28th in the Camping World Bowl from Orlando Florida.

I suppose some teams may see this as a negative character trait. I doubt it though. They are professionals. I feel they would see it as collegians doing their level best to become even better professionals, i.e. being professional.

Is this really about their teammates or about you? Do you think the team is going to throw fits, trash the hotel or the stadium, hunt Will Grier down and beat him up or make death threats to his wife or anything else if they lose this game? Of course not. All will be forgotten by January 1 when they start preparing for September 1.

I've been on some teams. We won some and lost some. Apparently, the reason we lost was because we didn't practice in cow pastures at night under the headlights. Oh well... ce la vie.

Your character is better shown in what you do from January to December. It's those "trenches" that count more - not what you do or don't do on December 28th in the Camping World Bowl from Orlando Florida.

I suppose some teams may see this as a negative character trait. I doubt it though. They are professionals. I feel they would see it as collegians doing their level best to become even better professionals, i.e. being professional.

Wow! You should get back on the meds. You've went from assuming you know details about the life of others posters to assuming that people think the team is made up of a bunch of psychos.

Facetious adj: treating serious issues with deliberate, inappropriate humor.

Maybe you hit your head on a car bumper years ago and can't understand things.
Maybe you are just uneducated and ignorant that such things exist.
Maybe you think this is a "zinger".

Whichever one fits the result is the same - you failed.

You are taking this debate way too seriously. Why are you offended?

Facetious adj: treating serious issues with deliberate, inappropriate humor.

Maybe you hit your head on a car bumper years ago and can't understand things.
Maybe you are just uneducated and ignorant that such things exist.
Maybe you think this is a "zinger".

Whichever one fits the result is the same - you failed.

You are taking this debate way too seriously. Why are you offended?

Why do you make so many assumptions? First, you accused me of living vicariously through someone else. Second, you thought I was mad at Grier because I was selfish. Third, you assume I am not successful (don't know what that has to do with the debate that Grier is a selfish quitter, but whatever). Now you assume I'm offended.

LMAO! No offense, but you really do act like a 12-year old living in mommy's basement with the compelling need to defend Will Grier. Does it hurt your feelings that I have insulted him?

Why do you make so many assumptions? First, you accused me of living vicariously through someone else. Second, you thought I was mad at Grier because I was selfish. Third, you assume I am not successful (don't know what that has to do with the debate that Grier is a selfish quitter, but whatever). Now you assume I'm offended.

LMAO! No offense, but you really do act like a 12-year old living in mommy's basement with the compelling need to defend Will Grier. Does it hurt your feelings that I have insulted him?

You've been freaking out for days over something trivial and has no impact on your life.

That isn't something healthy, rational people do.

Last edited:

I am using the evidence you are presenting to me.

For the first two instances you chose, and as Darth has written, you have been freaking over Grier's decision for days now. In post after post. The evidence you have posted shows those two things to be fair and reasonable assumptions. Why else would you take it this far?

The third is entirely on you. I never posted you weren't successful. Maybe you are. Maybe you aren't. What is important is your view of it. I posted you live in the past based on the evidence you presented to me.

Finally, yes I believe you are offended. Why? Because you keep trying to change the terms of the debate to me versus you. You post silly ad hominem attacks with the hopes I will take the bait and give you a chance to save face when you know you've lost the debate on its merits.

I decided to defend Grier because 1) I accept his decision and 2) I wanted to. That's it, nothing personal to me. Never met the man, don't know his motivations and have no reason or evidence to support he's doing anything other than what is best for him and his family. If other evidence is presented I will change my mind. But, I've heard nothing from his teammates or coaches that they feel his decision is based entirely on selfish reasons. In the words of Johnny Cochran, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit".

I get it. What I've written is unlikely to change your mind. Allen and Darth have made the same argument as I and had the same results. You still consider us idiots and losers. I get that.

But, would you put Nick Saban in that same category? He has stated the exact same arguments as we have. Now, if you hold true to those same principles, Saban is an idiot and loser too and unworthy of wearing the Blue and Gold in the future?

Think about it.

Meanwhile at MU

"I owe so much to Marshall University for investing in me and my future," Brady said. "Because of Marshall, I will leave Huntington with a degree and be the first person in my family to be a college graduate. I couldn't imagine missing out on the bowl game with my coaches and teammates who have fought hard with me day after day. I'm a better person and player because of all of them.

"The bowl game is one more chance to suit up with my brothers and compete. It is one more opportunity to play for the greatest fans in the country. And I believe the best way to prepare for the NFL is to show scouts what I can do. I can't wait to return to Florida and go for another bowl win."

Meanwhile at MU

"I owe so much to Marshall University for investing in me and my future," Brady said. "Because of Marshall, I will leave Huntington with a degree and be the first person in my family to be a college graduate. I couldn't imagine missing out on the bowl game with my coaches and teammates who have fought hard with me day after day. I'm a better person and player because of all of them.

"The bowl game is one more chance to suit up with my brothers and compete. It is one more opportunity to play for the greatest fans in the country. And I believe the best way to prepare for the NFL is to show scouts what I can do. I can't wait to return to Florida and go for another bowl win."

Good for him. I wish him the best!

Iā€™m also on board for this because it sends a huge ā€œup yoursā€ to the bowls. We donā€™t need this as much as the bowls need us. Expand the playoffs, pay the players and make them commit to playing in said playoffs if they want to play on a college team and make the NFL.

The regular season would mean maybe 20% less but we would see a real playoff.

Iā€™d be down with 16 teams if we got rid of all the shitty bowls....otherwise 8 is fine.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised at all if Holgorsen suggested Grier sit out of the game. Itā€™s a great benefit for Allison, and therefore for WVUā€™s future, for Allison to get this game experienceā€”a meaningless game for Grier, but valuable for Allison.

Grier doesn't want his complimentary sleeping bag from Camping World I guess. He must be an REI guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT