ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Grier not playing in bowl game

Thumper "Since that time heā€™s been a great role model, a great teammate and has brought nothing but positive publicity, recognition and a lot of success/financial gain to the program."
Role models don't quit on their team mates, teammates don't run out on their teammates and fans, positive publicity (evidently you didn't hear the TV announcers analyze his performance [or lack thereof] in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State games, ditto for recognition.
You certainly have a right to your opinion. But I'm quoting your post and it was just not accurate.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Iā€™m starting to wish that Grier would dress for this game.

So he could go out for the first series, line up in the wishbone, hand off on a fullback dive, grab his hamstring, and walk off after one play.

Just to troll some of you.

Attn: Dana Holgorsen

Reactions: Darth_VadEER
Thumper "Since that time heā€™s been a great role model, a great teammate and has brought nothing but positive publicity, recognition and a lot of success/financial gain to the program."
Role models don't quit on their team mates, teammates don't run out on their teammates and fans, positive publicity (evidently you didn't hear the TV announcers analyze his performance [or lack thereof] in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State games, ditto for recognition.
You certainly have a right to your opinion. But I'm quoting your post and it was just not accurate.

You are a grown man, what the hell do you need a role model for?

Why are you so broken and needy? Who hurt you?

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Iā€™m starting to wish that Grier would dress for this game.

So he could go out for the first series, line up in the wishbone, hand off on a fullback dive, grab his hamstring, and walk off after one play.

Just to troll some of you.

Attn: Dana Holgorsen

Yeah, that would show us.

LMAO!

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't really blame Grier for taking an available option to avoid injuries, but n the other hand, we gave him a home even though he was damaged goods, so it's a draw. Truthfully, I think Grier underachieved in his time at WVU, and he often showed some questionable judgement on the field. It's all more a reflection of what the game has become: just another institution where everyone is chasing $$$$, with no real loyalty to anyone or anything.
Personally, I can't blame him either and I see his side of it. There's really no need to risk injury or a potential drop in his draft stock in what can be described as a pointless bowl game. However, to me it's a shame that players skipping bowl games is a trend. Growing up and playing sports, you're always taught about the values of playing with a team and how it outweighs the individual. Now, there seems to be a lack of team values and this trend doesn't help it. I see both sides of it though.

The truth is we owe it to Will to respect his decision but with that being said it doesnā€™t mean we have to like that decision. Also I was guilty of not always loving Skylar Howard and I know the team had a lot of different variables than the team this season but the kid gave us a 10-2 regular season and he left it all on the field. So to skyler much respect for giving WVu all you had you had some heart

How did the Heisman chase work out?
Grier was #4. How high was your school's QB?

Being a WVU fan and alumnus I got to watch a Heisman QB 5 years in a row. Love it!

The 59-56 matchup of Grier and the Heisman winner was a classic! One of the best games to watch in decades! And Mountaineer Field crowd was larger than the official capacity.

Pitt in Ketchup Field can't even fill up one section. That's why Panthers aren't in the big time and WVU is.

When Backyard Brawl resumes in football at Ketchup Field it will look like a WVU home game.

Grier was #4. How high was your school's QB?

Being a WVU fan and alumnus I got to watch a Heisman QB 5 years in a row. Love it!

The 59-56 matchup of Grier and the Heisman winner was a classic! One of the best games to watch in decades! And Mountaineer Field crowd was larger than the official capacity.

Pitt in Ketchup Field can't even fill up one section. That's why Panthers aren't in the big time and WVU is.

When Backyard Brawl resumes in football at Ketchup Field it will look like a WVU home game.

Old timer I was at the 25 for this yearā€™s WVU/OU match up. Youā€™re wrong because there were empty seats up top on OU side. Couldnā€™t tell above me but I was there. Your statement is wrong.

Old timer I was at the 25 for this yearā€™s WVU/OU match up. Youā€™re wrong because there were empty seats up top on OU side. Couldnā€™t tell above me but I was there. Your statement is wrong.

There werenā€™t any empty seats at the WVU-Oklahoma game. I was there.

Let's look at it like this.

Let's suppose your son is the starting QB on a 6-4 high school team. He's the reason the team is 6-4. He's good enough that the college of his dreams is going to offer him a scholarship but he has to come for a visit first. Another top-ranked QB is scheduled to come in also. He just wants a chance at that scholarship - no guarantees.

Let's suppose the team is #16 in the state and has to play the #1 team who hasn't lost in 3 years. The game is on Friday night. The visit is scheduled for Saturday morning. Everything is perfect - the game, the visit, the timing.

Then, on Thursday night, a sudden snowstorm hits. The game gets moved to Saturday.

So, as his father, how many of you would tell your son to possibly give up the chance for the college of his dreams, on full scholarship, for a high school game he is going to lose?

Would you tell him "Sorry son, you made a commitment to your teammates, coaches, and fans. You can still play QB somewhere, maybe not X University, but a lesser school like Marshall. You owe it to Joe the Barber to play this game."

Or would you tell him "Son, you've got to do what is best for you. Ya'll aren't winning this game tomorrow. You can't throw away your future for a trivial game today. Yeah, some people will be upset. But 10 years from now? No, they'll be saying 'Hey, I knew that guy when he was just..." to THEIR sons."

Put yourself in the son' shoes. Which choice would you make?

Let's suppose your son is the starting QB on a 6-4 high school team. He's the reason the team is 6-4. He's good enough that the college of his dreams is going to offer him a scholarship but he has to come for a visit first. Another top-ranked QB is scheduled to come in also. He just wants a chance at that scholarship - no guarantees.

Let's suppose the team is #16 in the state and has to play the #1 team who hasn't lost in 3 years. The game is on Friday night. The visit is scheduled for Saturday morning. Everything is perfect - the game, the visit, the timing.

Then, on Thursday night, a sudden snowstorm hits. The game gets moved to Saturday.

So, as his father, how many of you would tell your son to possibly give up the chance for the college of his dreams, on full scholarship, for a high school game he is going to lose?

Would you tell him "Sorry son, you made a commitment to your teammates, coaches, and fans. You can still play QB somewhere, maybe not X University, but a lesser school like Marshall. You owe it to Joe the Barber to play this game."

Or would you tell him "Son, you've got to do what is best for you. Ya'll aren't winning this game tomorrow. You can't throw away your future for a trivial game today. Yeah, some people will be upset. But 10 years from now? No, they'll be saying 'Hey, I knew that guy when he was just..." to THEIR sons."

You seriously think your example is anything close to our Bowl game? LOL!

There are 90-some WVU players who strongly disagree, one of whom is David Sills who will be a pro in the NFL and thinks his teammates, the university and the fans are worth the risk.

Youā€™re playing a zero sum game. All or nothing. Each player needs to make the best decision for themselves. One isnā€™t related to the other. LOL at you thinking the fans have anything to do with anything. I bet you believe the patronizing players and coaches when they talk about fan support haha. There was only two things that influenced Stills. His family and his teammates. If you think you had anything to do it, well, youā€™re a goofball. I respect his decision but by no means believe his decision is the standard for all.

Youā€™re playing a zero sum game. All or nothing. Each player needs to make the best decision for themselves. One isnā€™t related to the other. LOL at you thinking the fans have anything to do with anything. I bet you believe the patronizing players and coaches when they talk about fan support haha. There was only two things that influenced Stills. His family and his teammates. If you think you had anything to do it, well, youā€™re a goofball. I respect his decision but by no means believe his decision is the standard for all.

Itā€™s Sills, not Stills. We have two brothers named Stills on the defensive line. Sills is a WR.

Each player needs to make the best decision for themselves

So, based on your logic, each player should play the position they think is best for them...run a play they think will show them in the best light...block or tackle based upon risk of injury...and decide for themselves when and how long they should practice. Eleven individual decisions on every snap. Unique. Maybe the military could follow that example...or airline pilots...or...well the list is huge.

So, based on your logic, each player should play the position they think is best for them...run a play they think will show them in the best light...block or tackle based upon risk of injury...and decide for themselves when and how long they should practice. Eleven individual decisions on every snap. Unique. Maybe the military could follow that example...or airline pilots...or...well the list is huge.

Of course thatā€™s not what I believe Root just saying one players decision has virtually nothing to do with anotherā€™s decision. Weā€™re talking about an irrelevant Bowl game. Not in season OOC or Conference game. Iā€™m sure if WVU was going to Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl Grier may view that experience and risk differently than some joke Bowl in Orlando.

You seriously think your example is anything close to our Bowl game? LOL!

Actually, yes I do.

The point was to put yourself in Will Grier's shoes. You either missed that point or you know what the option you would choose is and don't want to admit you are wrong.

You go to college to prepare for your future. The college provides the avenue to reach those dreams. The college doesn't guarantee you you'll attain those dreams but it provides the services to help you get there. It doesn't "owe" you anything same as you don't owe them anything other than the price of admission.

You change your mind, you quit. You change majors and switch universities, that's fine too. You are doing what you feel is best for your future. Happens all the time.

Same with Grier. Something better has opened up. The job of his dreams is within reach. He's paid his debt to WVU. He doesn't owe them any more.

You say, "What about to the other 90 players on that team?" To that, I would say that if they were in Grier's shoes, they would do the same thing. Some wouldn't but most would. They see college football for what it is - a business.

Actually, yes I do.

The point was to put yourself in Will Grier's shoes. You either missed that point or you know what the option you would choose is and don't want to admit you are wrong.

You go to college to prepare for your future. The college provides the avenue to reach those dreams. The college doesn't guarantee you you'll attain those dreams but it provides the services to help you get there. It doesn't "owe" you anything same as you don't owe them anything other than the price of admission.

You change your mind, you quit. You change majors and switch universities, that's fine too. You are doing what you feel is best for your future. Happens all the time.

Same with Grier. Something better has opened up. The job of his dreams is within reach. He's paid his debt to WVU. He doesn't owe them any more.

You say, "What about to the other 90 players on that team?" To that, I would say that if they were in Grier's shoes, they would do the same thing. Some wouldn't but most would. They see college football for what it is - a business.

You think Grier is the only player on this team going pro?

LMAO!

Reactions: Rootmaster
Actually, yes I do.

No, your example sucks and it's nothing like Grier's current situation.

1) This isn't high school.

2) WVU is not 6-4.

3) We are a 7-point favorite over Syracuse, so NO, everyone doesn't expect us to lose the bowl game.

4) The pro team of his dreams isn't going to offer him a job.

5) Grier is not the reason WVU is 8-3...well he does need to shoulder a lot of the blame for the debacle in Ames and the 2 TDs he handed Oklahoma in Morgantown.

6) There is no scheduling conflict with our bowl game. In fact, Grier has chosen to play in another bowl game, so it's not like his main excuse of risk has any merit.

7) We aren't playing the #1 team in the country.

8) I would tell my son to not let his teammates down and do the right thing just like David Sills is. Don't be a selfish, childish, idiot and bring shame to the family.

9)You're an idiot!

No, your example sucks and it's nothing like Grier's current situation.

1) This isn't high school.
No. It's college. I simply used the scenario to get you to think. I see I would have to use high school level thinking when discussing things with you though. No worries, it won't happen again.
2) WVU is not 6-4.
No kidding. We are 8-3. No big difference, we still aren't playing a major bowl.
3) We are a 7-point favorite over Syracuse, so NO, everyone doesn't expect us to lose the bowl game.
Great! We win then what? What do we win besides a game? What happens if we lose? The way I see it the results are the same - we get nothing of importance either way except some more practice time for next year's group.
4) The pro team of his dreams isn't going to offer him a job.
Any pro team offering him a job is the job of his dreams. Maybe the Panthers are his favorite team and he gets picked by the Packers. Sucks to be him, huh?
5) Grier is not the reason WVU is 8-3...well he does need to shoulder a lot of the blame for the debacle in Ames and the 2 TDs he handed Oklahoma in Morgantown.
You think we do better with Jack Allison? Trey Lowe?
6) There is no scheduling conflict with our bowl game. In fact, Grier has chosen to play in another bowl game, so it's not like his main excuse of risk has any merit.
No scheduling conflict but the choice is still there. The risk of injury is still there no matter what game he plays. Why take the chance in a game that has no bearing on his future?
7) We aren't playing the #1 team in the country.
Nope. Just an example to show the futility of a bowl game. We win we get nothing of importance. We lose we lose nothing of importance either.
8) I would tell my son to not let his teammates down and do the right thing just like David Sills is. Don't be a selfish, childish, idiot and bring shame to the family.
David Sills, as far as I know, wasn't offered the opportunity to play in the Senior Bowl. This is his last game and chance to show scouts what he can do one more time. And please, apologize for me to your son. His dad cares more about a meaningless game than about his son's future.
9)You're an idiot!
Yes, I guess I am. I took the time to write out a response to your nonsense.

I apologize.

I mistook you for someone educated who could make connections between things, didn't take things literally, use higher level thinking skills to apply one situation to another, and have the good sense to disagree in a reasonable manner.

I will let you get back to your name calling and childish behavior and thinking now.

You think Grier is the only player on this team going pro?

LMAO!

Noooooo... there may be others. Grier is the only one that is likely a first round draft pick though. Cajuste may go in the second or third. The rest are late 3rd round or later. The difference between Grier and the rest = guaranteed millions.

Noooooo... there may be others. Grier is the only one that is likely a first round draft pick though. Cajuste may go in the second or third. The rest are late 3rd round or later. The difference between Grier and the rest = guaranteed millions.

Sills will go in the first or second round. Source: http://www.draftblaster.com/2019-nfl-draft/david-sills-v-wr-west-virginia/

Second rounders get a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $3 million. Maybe you should just shut up while you are behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT