ADVERTISEMENT

Great story on New Mexico State...

I know a few people who attended NMSU in Las Cruces, NM.

A decent town halfway between El Paso and Tucson on I-10.

I think they are going Independent after this year because the SunBelt is moving East and South on them.
Had decent rivalries with UNT in all of sports.

Maybe the MWC will pick them up but UNM has always looked down on them as little brother so I do not think UNM wants them to cut into their exposure.
Some of these basketball rivalries in the MWC are vicious. UNM even for its size and lack of exposure sells out their basketball arena every game as like NMSU takes pride in their basketball.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
It was great to see them win a bowl game.

Problem is a lot of their students are into everything besides sports.
The ones who follow sports usually are UT fans. Especially the students from Clovis, Hobbs and El Paso. The University of Texas and Dallas Cowboys/Denver Broncos are a big thing in New Mexico with the LA Dodgers a far third.
There is not enough population in that area outside of El Paso to have a large T Shirt/Sidewalk fanbase.
UNM is different because of Albuquerque. Albuquerque is a Minor league city that follows UNM like they are a professional team.
The reason why the SunBelt is kicking NMSU out.
The WAC doesn't play football anymore so right when their football program is getting good they may have to drop down to FCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBurntReynolds
NMSU if s farm/ ranch school. Good to see them have success.
Like what was mentioned most of their student body and the people in that region are UT fans.
A lot of that has to do with the fact that there are no state lines to the Hispanic population. There is Califas which is California and there is Tejas. So most of the people in that region of New Mexico consider themselves Tejano.
UT never discriminated against the Hispanic population in state like some other universities.
Hispanics have made up every graduating class.
Plus there is the image of Bevo the steer.
They much rather walk around with a Steer than the other logos.

Great Story. They will be an independent next season. I think they could have viable in the Sun Belt - the being tied to Idaho was such a geography problem. They had a great following at the bowl.

The SunBelt decided to bring in Appalachian St for football.
Boone, NC is a great college town and ASU has great support in football in the local community and within the student body because of past success.
Once the SunBelt moved in the Carolinas and Georgia it was over for the Western schools in the conference.
Now the conference is made up of exclusively Southern schools from Texas to Carolina.
A lot of these schools want to move up to CUSA.
The stepping ladder is SunBelt, CUSA, AAC and branches off to the ACC, SEC and Big XII.

New Mexico St wished to be in the MWC.
Maybe the conference will take UTEP and NMSU.
UTEP belongs with Western schools and not Southern schools because of its location in Texas.
As UTEP is out of place in CUSA.

ADVERTISEMENT