ADVERTISEMENT

Graduate transfer quarterback D'Eriq King announces transfer from Miami, WVU on short list?

steveo41967

Freshman
Sep 16, 2006
Graduate transfer quarterback D'Eriq King announces transfer from Miami

King announced his plans to transfer from Miami on Twitter late Tuesday confirming rumors he was unhappy with his role on the team.

The Athletic's Manny Navarro was first to report that King was had left the program and Miami Coach Manny Diaz’s only comments were, “D’Eriq had a great spring practice prior to our standing down and we wish him best in his future endeavors.”

King is expected to re-enter the transfer portal this week. He sat out most of the 2019 season after started Houston's first four games. In late September 2019, Coach Dana Holgorsen took broad criticism for redshirting him to preserve his final year of eligibility.

King passed for 663 yards and six touchdowns in those four games before Holgorsen took advantage of a new NCAA rule that allows a player to appear in a maximum four games and still retain a year of eligibility.

247 Sports reported King has allegedly been in contact with offensive coordinators and coaches from LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Maryland and West Virginia since he re-entered the transfer portal as potential landing spots.

Coach Neal Brown refused to speculate on King joining the team. The Big 12 announced that due to the ongoing developments related to COVID-19 the suspension of all activities has been extended until May 31.

That suspension includes all team or individual practices, meetings or gatherings.

That May 31 date is a two-month extension over the original March 29 date but is expected to be re-evaluated regularly and could be adjusted as circumstances dictate.

If the Mountaineers are able to land King, it is widely believed he will be a challenge to Jarret Doege for the starting role.

Last edited:
Interesting. Do not know if I would actually want him but would be hard to turn him down. How many years would he have?

I'd pass. He'd expect to play in his last year and if he did get beat out, would likely be a locker room distraction. WVU is still building and I'd prefer a guy who is likely to be around in year 3 to get meaningful game experience in year 2.

Hard to imagine him at WVU where he would have to fight two QBs who have starting experience.

Interesting. Do not know if I would actually want him but would be hard to turn him down. How many years would he have?

Should have never left Houston.
His father who was a high school coach recently passed away. His father was pretty much the one guiding him.

If King wants to play in the NFL he needs to play WR
If he was smart he would go somewhere to play WR.

Last edited:
So Kendall's already out of the equation, apparently.
I wouldn't jump at that conclusion too quickly. Both Kendall and Doege are in a competition for the starting job. Although Doege finished strongly and appears to be in the lead, Kendall had to deal early on with a rebuilt o-line, inexperienced wide receivers and a wrath of injuries including his own. Their overall stats are pretty close. I think Kendall will show better this upcoming season and we should have an entertaining qb battle on our hands. Now that assumes we have a 2020 season.

I'd much prefer Doege over him anyday. And he clearly is expecting to inherit a starting job

Graduate transfer quarterback D'Eriq King announces transfer from Miami

King announced his plans to transfer from Miami on Twitter late Tuesday confirming rumors he was unhappy with his role on the team.

The Athletic's Manny Navarro was first to report that King was had left the program and Miami Coach Manny Diaz’s only comments were, “D’Eriq had a great spring practice prior to our standing down and we wish him best in his future endeavors.”

King is expected to re-enter the transfer portal this week. He sat out most of the 2019 season after started Houston's first four games. In late September 2019, Coach Dana Holgorsen took broad criticism for redshirting him to preserve his final year of eligibility.

King passed for 663 yards and six touchdowns in those four games before Holgorsen took advantage of a new NCAA rule that allows a player to appear in a maximum four games and still retain a year of eligibility.

247 Sports reported King has allegedly been in contact with offensive coordinators and coaches from LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Maryland and West Virginia since he re-entered the transfer portal as potential landing spots.

Coach Neal Brown refused to speculate on King joining the team. The Big 12 announced that due to the ongoing developments related to COVID-19 the suspension of all activities has been extended until May 31.

That suspension includes all team or individual practices, meetings or gatherings.

That May 31 date is a two-month extension over the original March 29 date but is expected to be re-evaluated regularly and could be adjusted as circumstances dictate.

If the Mountaineers are able to land King, it is widely believed he will be a challenge to Jarret Doege for the starting role.
How does a guy play 4 games for Houston, then sit out the rest of the year, transfer to Miami and participate in a shortened spring practice, decide the U is not for him, enter the transfer portal a second time, and then expect to be eligible to play for another team this fall? I call BS on this transfer portal crap.

Reactions: Rootmaster
How does a guy play 4 games for Houston, then sit out the rest of the year, transfer to Miami and participate in a shortened spring practice, decide the U is not for him, enter the transfer portal a second time, and then expect to be eligible to play for another team this fall? I call BS on this transfer portal crap.

Look and idiot herd fan.

Lmao. A day of reckoning for college sports?? From who??? The government will be too busy to care and the NCAA will do nothing about the "blue bloods" aka the espn promoted money makers, if anything they will do less, if that's possible, because they need their money back. Maybe Cleveland state gets hit again, but arizona, Duke, okie st. Hoops, UNC, the ENTIRE SEC, will role on as usual, say of reckoning my arse. Heck LSU coaches go on HBO and discuss their money offers to recruits and nothing happens, they do it because they know nothing will, but keep dreaming

Idiot? If you don't think something is wrong with this scenario, YOU are the idiot. When this pandemic is over there will be a day of reckoning for college sports. Count on it.

And this has what to do with a transfer QB? Like I said idiot herd fan.

Because it is Fake News

dang ironic,

how Holgerson benefits from Will Grier and Trickett transfers to West Virginia,
and get's shafted on King's transfer to Miami .

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT