ADVERTISEMENT

Glad to be done with Big XII officiating for the year

doctom4

All-American
Aug 4, 2006
-- you'd think the players could adjust to the officiating in the Big XII, but they let them play so little, it's hard to know what a foul is any more. I watch games in these other leagues, particularly in the Big East and the ACC and the officials seem to have a better grasp of what to let go and what not to let go. There was one sequence where Philip was called for a offensive foul when making a basketball move and the Baylor kid, while hit moderately with a shoulder on a pivot because he was guarding closely, jerked his head and flopped to the floor like it was the Kennedy assassination. That was immediately followed by the "inadvertent" foul when the Baylor kid smacked Holton to the floor. I said that we should immediately begin inadvertently fouling all of Baylor's players that way if that's how they're going to call it. But contact is contact, right? Holton was called for a completely phantom foul on a 3-point basket; then Paige made a 3-pointer not a minute later where he was flattened to the floor...no whistle.

I don't like to complain about refs because there were some strange calls against Baylor too; but last night looked almost blatantly biased to me. Worse than the KU game in Lawrence, even.

When you go back and look at the way the Big East games were played, it's really basketball played by young men as opposed to 7th grade rec league, which is how they call it out there. One more reason to lament the destruction of Eastern athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT