ADVERTISEMENT

Given the new media deal announcement

skygusty

All-Conference
May 14, 2003
Are other WVU fans actually looking forward to adding 4 corners schools? I understand how it might cement the future of the conference, but I am not really excited about it. WVU has to travel too much already. I keep hoping for another 1 or 2 teams in the East.

There are no teams in the East. The airplane has been around for 120 years. Fans acting like WVU will be traveling west for every game.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Why would the conference add from G5 schools for pro rata shares if they can add higher value P5 schools from the PAC 12 area and gain a fourth tv window which will likely lead to higher revenues?

So, what I am hearing is that it might be good business, but nobody is really excited about adding schools from Arizona, Colorado and Utah. I can't say that I would be excited about Memphis and USF either, although they could both probably outperform Colorado in most sports.

Depends...

For football, adding those schools is a meh at best
For basketball adding those schools is snaps up
For stablizing the conference.......i'm going to give it the infamous Zoro snap.

I am also still betting the BIG and the SEC are not done. I think it might be a good time to keep your powder dry. Neither Colorado nor Utah or the Arizona schools bring a new time zone, and two schools from Arizona seems redundant. Invite SDSU while the PAC is dithering. Then see what falls out of the tree.

Even if you don’t get an increase, just pro rata for adding Utah, CU, Arizona, ASU- you add stability. You add opportunities to improve your media deals. You add eyeballs and fanbases. The next contract will be in 2031 so adding those schools likely improves that contract.

will have to see what the PAC comes up with first. If Amazon matches payout then probably no more realignment til the 2030s short of the B10 making a move.

Are other WVU fans actually looking forward to adding 4 corners schools? I understand how it might cement the future of the conference, but I am not really excited about it. WVU has to travel too much already. I keep hoping for another 1 or 2 teams in the East.
There are plenty of Mountaineer fans in the west who would go to games at Colorado, Utah, AZ, and AZ State. Lots of WV coal miners in CO and UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofGraves
For eastern teams I don’t think anyone is “ excited” unless you pull in acc schools and even then only certain ones. That will have to wait for the SEC and B10 to pick them apart.

VT
NC State
Pitt
GT
Louisville
Syracuse

If these become available you probably grab 4

not so much -
Duke
Wake
BC

Reactions: mountaineermaniac34
I am also still betting the BIG and the SEC are not done. I think it might be a good time to keep your powder dry. Neither Colorado nor Utah or the Arizona schools bring a new time zone, and two schools from Arizona seems redundant. Invite SDSU while the PAC is dithering. Then see what falls out of the tree.
Am I missing something? The 4 schools you mentioned are in the mountain time zone, although AZ doesn’t observe DST, so it’s a hybrid. No other Big 12 schools are presently in the Mountain Time Zone.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Am I missing something? The 4 schools you mentioned are in the mountain time zone, although AZ doesn’t observe DST, so it’s a hybrid. No other Big 12 schools are presently in the Mountain Time Zone.
BYU appears to be in the Mountain Time zone. Unless I am also missing something.

BYU appears to be in the Mountain Time zone. Unless I am also missing something.
You are not. What a lot of people are missing is how BYU became the absolute imperative team to have during this last round of realignment. That time zone has become extremely valuable for the conference. For argument sake, let’s say Pac12 decides to take less money and stick together and let ORWA call the shots. SDSU gives you So Cal and then your left adding just one more. At that point You can crunch the numbers to see if it’s worth it or not.

There are plenty of Mountaineer fans in the west who would go to games at Colorado, Utah, AZ, and AZ State. Lots of WV coal miners in CO and UT.
Plenty of WVU fans in Wyoming as well...biggest coal state in the USA by a huge margin, and I've met many from W.Va. while working in Wyo.

I wonder if the pro-rata clause names names? Will Fox and ESPN give new teams the same amount of money, as long as those new teams are w,x,y or z but not m, n, o or p? Can't believe that the WHO part of this wasn't discussed

You are not. What a lot of people are missing is how BYU became the absolute imperative team to have during this last round of realignment. That time zone has become extremely valuable for the conference. For argument sake, let’s say Pac12 decides to take less money and stick together and let ORWA call the shots. SDSU gives you So Cal and then your left adding just one more. At that point You can crunch the numbers to see if it’s worth it or not.
Also, BYU has rated higher this season on average than any other BIG 12 school that will remain. Very important to future tv deals.

Reactions: mountaineermaniac34
I wonder if the pro-rata clause names names? Will Fox and ESPN give new teams the same amount of money, as long as those new teams are w,x,y or z but not m, n, o or p? Can't believe that the WHO part of this wasn't discussed
Edit: some are saying for P5 schools only but its not completely clear:

@Jeff_Sharon
·
Follow

If I’m hearing @AndrewMarchand correctly, that pro-rata clause would kick in if the #Big12 brought in *only* other P5 schools. If that’s the case, the Big 12’s door just slammed on Boise, SDSU, Memphis, USF, ECU, SMU, etc. #UCF may have just gotten the last ticket to the party.

f717c76237f80d188a1876a2028c73f5_normal.jpeg

Andrew Marchand

@AndrewMarchand
CLIP: We have the fine print of the Big 12 ESPN and Fox Sports' deals and explain how the Big 12-Pac 12 expansion battle will be fought. MORE IN POD: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...nd-the-future-of/id1587364692?i=1000584771872

Embedded video

11:34 AM · Nov 2, 2022

Read the full conversation on Twitter

Copy link

Last edited:
If two Arizona schools are redundant then so is 2 Florida Schools.
To say nothing of 4 Texas schools and 2 from Kansas but Florida population is what it is. Florida State, I could get amped for. USF, not so much. Depends on who it is.

ADVERTISEMENT