ADVERTISEMENT

Gibson needs to be fired after Gundy's comments

ITT,

Someone lowers the bar to “hometown boy” standards and says a defense far outside the top 25 is a “very good” defense

But our top 10 offense is never good enough because the OC is from Tulsa

Our "top 10 offense" scored 10 2nd half points against the worst defense in the Big 12..........

Our "top 10 offense" scored 10 2nd half points against the worst defense in the Big 12..........

If points allowed is the only thing that matters

Then points scored per game is all that matters too

Your own logic.

Good job. Good effort

Just be honest..... all you care about is that Gibson is from WV and that means you will defend him to death....... t-shirt fans, man

Last edited:
Keaton is right. Maybe not about people's motivations for defending him, but about Gibson's weakness as a defensive coordinator really isn't under much dispute.

I too have taken a "wait and see" approach to Gibson this year. I've called for his replacement for 2 years. But, with these factors in mind,
1) nearly every team in the B12 replaced their QB this year
2) a boat load of offensive talent left the B12 last year to NFL and/or graduation
3) We returned potentially the best assortment of offensive talent in the league - the only real question marks were on the interior line and TE - so we should be able to score well enough to win nearly every game.
4. Our defense should be able to hold most teams, outside of Texass who returned their QB to go along with talented receivers and Oklahoma who always just rebuilds, to 24 points or less.

With this in mind, I felt we should lose at most 2 games and definitely be in the B12 championship game. Not necessarily win it, but at the least be there. This possibility still exists...

But, the defense is being exposed.
1) The defensive line play is better but that came from better quality players who are one and dones. However, there was only room for improvement from the past several years. Their effectiveness has waned as the season has progressed.
2) Outside of David Long, who has been a beast this year, the linebacker corp is horrendous. I know that some folks think that injury has played a part in this but I don't think so. They aren't really good to start with. Lots of recruiting misses here. Some like Campbell and Tonkery play OK going downhill but get totally lost moving sideline to sideline. Won't mention anyone who is supposed to be great but hasn't played more than a quarter in 3 years.
3) The secondary is clueless. We can't jam receivers so that blitzes can get home. We give up inside releases too easily, especially against teams that try to throw slants on short yardage situations. Our cushions make no sense - backing off 7 yards on 3rd and short opportunities and 15 yards on 3rd and 8.

If these were one year abnormalities, oh well. But, these are yearly problems that have been yearly problems for YEARS now.

Now, we will have to try to backdoor our way into the B12CG. In that game, we will have to score approximately 50 points to have a chance of winning. Think about that, we will have to score the equivalent of 8 touchdowns in order to have a chance to win. Even then, it may not be enough. Yet, people will gripe that we only scored 45 or 42.

We all want a championship level team here. Defense wins championships. We aren't going to get that with Gibson at the helm, that much has been proven so far. We don't get the recruits, we don't get the talent, with him in charge. We need a proven "brand name", either as DC or HC, to bring enough of those people in if we are going to ever get there.

If points allowed is the only thing that matters

Then points scored per game is all that matters too

Your own logic.

Good job. Good effort

Just be honest..... all you care about is that Gibson is from WV and that means you will defend him to death....... t-shirt fans, man

10 points in 2nd half.......that's against the worst defense in the Big 12 and one that was ranked in the 90's in the nation. Twist all you want, but that's a fact. Oh, and Gibson's birth place has nothing to do with it.

Actual facts:

WVU’s offense (top 10 in America) averages 41 points a game

They got their average

WVU’s defense averages 23 points allowed....

They gave up 45.

The “Yea we scored 41, but I am only acknowledging the 2nd half” pity-**** of an argument is just sad.....

That’s how little ammo Gibson-supporters have now, since his performance as a coach hasn’t produced any

I can't wait til the Mountaineers take the field agin dem Sooners. Here's hoping we put a whupping on dem boys. They deserve it! Warez

ITT,

Someone lowers the bar to “hometown boy” standards and says a defense far outside the top 25 is a “very good” defense

But our top 10 offense is never good enough because the OC is from Tulsa

Whoa! This is one of the best offenses at WVU in my memory. But they have disappointed by performing below their talent levels at Iowa State and at Oklahoma State. That's indisputable.

Gibby has done a masterful job at defense, not because he is from West Virginia, but because he has had to overcome severe losses from the 2017 team, a potful of injuries, particularly at linebacker. Yes, they have had bad streaks, just as the offense has had bad streaks. But when the offense is handed 4 turnovers and gets ONE touchdown that's nothing to brag about.

It's just assessing the pros and cons. It's not a pissing match between you and other posters. No one cares about that. All we care about is WVU being as successful as possible.

And I will love my alma mater's football team -- offense AND defense -- no matter what the score is in the Oklahoma game. I'll be in Section 105 hoping I get to sing my heart out with "Country Roads" after another WVU victory.

I think Dana, Gibby and play-calling coach have done well, on balance.

Now, work your brain hard so you can come up with ways to dispute all this. Or just enjoy a remarkable season, as I am.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R etching collapse at Oklahoma State, 41-45

S hootout success over Oklahoma & play for Big 12 title vs. Texas

Keaton,

They really don't have much of an argument.

If Dana kicks field goals we may have won. May not have, hard to say.
If Grier is ever taught, after 3 years here by the way, how to tuck the damn football and not carry it like its a hot potato, we may win that game anyway. I knew it would come back to bite us at some point. It did...

However, this is the main point here: the defense still can't keep even a decent offense out of the 40's. It won't tomorrow either. That average is against teams bringing/breaking in new offensive personnel. Against the best B12 teams, scores in the 40's. One we were lucky enough to win (more like gutsy) the other we weren't.

Think about next year. Ehlinger is back. So is Purdy. So is the kid from TTU. OU will have a solid one even though we don't know who that will be yet. Basically, the entire B12 returns their starting QB's. Not to mention the other skill players returning.

Points per game will go up next year across the league. Will we have the defense to be the outlier on that average?

I think we all know the answer.

Giving up 31 points in a half

“Masterful”

CFE hasn’t been this blatantly biased since he tried to convince the board a few seasons ago that Dana Holgorsen actually had a sub-500 winning percentage.....

Last edited:
Actual facts:

WVU’s offense (top 10 in America) averages 41 points a game

They got their average

WVU’s defense averages 23 points allowed....

They gave up 45.

The “Yea we scored 41, but I am only acknowledging the 2nd half” pity-**** of an argument is just sad.....

That’s how little ammo Gibson-supporters have now, since his performance as a coach hasn’t produced any

Wasn't aware that there was a rule that stated once you got to your season average, you didn't have to score any more points. I apologize.

“Masterful”

CFE hasn’t been this blatantly biased since he tried to convince the board a few seasons ago that Dana Holgorsen actually had a sub-500 winning percentage.....

Iowa State........offensive "genius" that game, huh? Must have been just the player's fault that day.....

Iowa State........offensive "genius" that game, huh? Must have been just the player's fault that day.....

100%

Will Grier took how many sacks that night due to holding the ball

Our short routes and RBs in the flat were open all night but like always, once Grier gets hit, he gets David Sills tunnel vision

But even then, our terrible defense gave up 30 to a team and a true freshman QB who was averaging less than 24

Last edited:
100%

Our short routes and RBs in the flat were open all night but like always, once Grier gets hit, he gets David Sills tunnel vision

But even then, our terrible defense gave up 30 to a team and a true freshman QB who was averaging less than 24
Well, Dana does not have the best track record for hiring coaches on that side of the ball and if we want to be honest he ran Casteel, with Kirliv and grew the best we have had out the door....and the DeForest mess would have cost anyone else there job

Well, Dana does not have the best track record for hiring coaches on that side of the ball and if we want to be honest he ran Casteel, with Kirliv and grew the best we have had out the door....and the DeForest mess would have cost anyone else there job

Tony Gibson put up “deforest-like” rankings last season

He is still employed

2017:

Total Yards Allowed - 104th
Yards per Game allowed - 111th
Points allowed - 92nd
Points per Game allowed -92nd
Passing yards allowed - 97th
Rushing yards allowed - 104th

Average - 100th

100%

So, it's not the defensive players fault for the yards given up or missed tackles? It's Gibson's? You are a tool.

So, it's not the defensive players fault for the yards given up or missed tackles? It's Gibson's? You are a tool.

Systemic and continuous over many seasons

Tony Gibson has never had a defense finish a season ranked in the top 50 in college football

Tony Gibson put up “deforest-like” rankings last season

He is still employed

2017:

Total Yards Allowed - 104th
Yards per Game allowed - 111th
Points allowed - 92nd
Points per Game allowed -92nd
Passing yards allowed - 97th
Rushing yards allowed - 104th

Average - 100th
Nothing was as disorganized and bad as DeForest..that was a joke....it was a bad year agreed but they seemed to have cleaned that mess up and rebounded with picking up kids from all over the place...again chicken shit to chicken salad

ITT,

“We can’t fire him..... yes he’s awful. But that other guy we fired.... he may have been worse.”

Systemic and continuous over many seasons

Tony Gibson has never had a defense finish a season ranked in the top 50 in college football

When Gibson was at Pitt, we wanted to fire his asssss as well, plain terrible, he needs to go for WVU to get to the top of the conference

To pay this guy +$800k is a f’en joke! People seem to forget he was
kept on Frauds staff for coffee-donut recruiting gopher and “assistant’ DB coach, terrible one at that! The only D scheme he learned was odd stack from Casteel. Dumazz doesn’t know what an even front is.

The repeated injured LB excuses is bullshat his defense wasn’t worth a shat with healthy ones in past years. This year’s D held lifeless offenses in check but as mentioned, +40 versus ones with a pulse. He is simply in over his head and OU will once again expose his schematics or lack of. OU, 3rd and 20, Murray runs or passes for 25 for a 1st, rinse, repeat.

Next year, this clowns salary goes to $950k, BS, use that money for a real DC!

“So what our rankings weren’t any better.... I don’t like Deforest more”
Then don't run Casteel and his guys off....that was a good staff
Spav has never developed his own QB. Everywhere he has been has had an experienced QB already.

DC coaches list?

Todd Graham - Unemployed
Jeff Casteel - Unemployed
Ralph Street - PVAMU
Matt Entz - NDSU
Justin Deason - UIW
Tony Pecoraro - FAU

The Golden Eagles recruited the Florida panhandle often during Pecoraro time in Hattiesburg so his ties to that region of Florida is a bonus on the recruiting trail.

But make no mistake, this hire was made because of what Pecoraro produced on the field. Given how well Pecoraro adapted his schemes to the talent he inherited at USM, it isn’t hard to envision the Owls having a very successful defensive unit during Pecoraro’s first year in Boca Raton.

Clint Trickett also at FAU coaching TE position.

HC up and coming

Travis Trickett - Travis Trickett, formerly the offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic and Samford, is the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on head coach Shawn Elliott's Georgia State staff.

Trickett’s coaching experience also includes graduate assistantship with two of college football’s most storied programs at Alabama and Florida State.

He spent one year (2007-08) as offensive graduate assistant on Nick Saban’s staff at Alabama, and then three seasons (2008-10) with the Seminoles, working under both Bobby Bowden and Jimbo Fisher.

Trickett began his coaching career as a student assistant at West Virginia from 2003-07, where he served under head coach Rich Rodriguez and had the opportunity to work with quarterback Pat White.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in administration and marketing from West Virginia in 2007 and a master’s degree sports administration from Florida State in 2009.

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=211393885
Casteel is the DC at Nevada.....helping a friend turn around a terrible program...and doing a pretty good job in year two...I hear Casteel wants to come back east...Gibby is a better recruiter...Casteel better at X's and O's

Like how Nevada was “a terrible program” in this Casteel defense

When in reality they were a .500 program under the previous coach with 2 winnings seasons out of 4.

Ole Saint Casteel luckily was available to swoop in and save a .500 team by making them a .500 team

Like how Nevada was “a terrible program” in this Casteel defense

When in reality they were a .500 program under the previous coach with 2 winnings seasons out of 4.

Ole Saint Casteel luckily was available to swoop in and save a .500 team by making them a .500 team
With a win this weekend and a bowl victory it would tie for the second most wins in program history....I wonder if Gibby and Casteel would work together again?

“Masterful”

No one gives a crap about you or me. It's irrelevant whether you or me "wins" a debate.

True WVU fans only want our beloved Mountaineers to beat Oklahoma tonight and Texas next week. Can we agree on that at least?

I'll be in Section 105 in Mountaineer Field hoping to sing "Country Roads" after a victory. Will you be there? Or just taking potshots from afar?

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

S lap Oklahoma around & play for Big 12 title vs. Texas

“The facts you’ve presented don’t matter because you don’t attend games”

lol, I have no desire to stand in the cold to watch Tony Gibson give up 60 points to OK

“The facts you’ve presented don’t matter because you don’t attend games”

lol, I have no desire to stand in the cold to watch Tony Gibson give up 60 points to OK
Then your opinion is meaningless.

I will gladly sit and stand in the 36-degree cold at Mountaineer Field tonight to watch my beloved Mountaineers beat Oklahoma.

If WVU takes down the Sooners the bandwagon again will be so full that it will be extra-strong struts to keep from collapsing.

Missing out on a chance to sing "Country Roads" after a WVU victory is so pathetic. At least we know where your loyalties are. And it's not to WVU.

I'll pray for your misguided soul.

And don't think of a nasty response involving age discrimination. It makes you akin to a teen punk with a tire iron taking on a 90-year-old in a wheelchair. That's not courage; that's despicable classness.

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

Reactions: Rootmaster

I will gladly sit and stand in the 36-degree cold at Mountaineer Field tonight to watch my beloved Mountaineers beat Oklahoma.

If WVU takes down the Sooners the bandwagon again will be so full that it will be extra-strong struts to keep from collapsing.

Missing out on a chance to sing "Country Roads" after a WVU victory is so pathetic. At least we know where your loyalties are. And it's not to WVU.

And don't think of a nasty response involving age discrimination. It makes you akin to a teen punk with a tire iron taking on a 90-year-old in a wheelchair. That's not courage; that's despicable classness.

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

Just to be fair, making a wise crack about someones age is NOT AKIN to bludgeoning them with a tire iron while they're in a wheel chair.

Last edited:
Keaton,

They really don't have much of an argument.

If Dana kicks field goals we may have won. May not have, hard to say.
If Grier is ever taught, after 3 years here by the way, how to tuck the damn football and not carry it like its a hot potato, we may win that game anyway. I knew it would come back to bite us at some point. It did...

However, this is the main point here: the defense still can't keep even a decent offense out of the 40's. It won't tomorrow either. That average is against teams bringing/breaking in new offensive personnel. Against the best B12 teams, scores in the 40's. One we were lucky enough to win (more like gutsy) the other we weren't.

Think about next year. Ehlinger is back. So is Purdy. So is the kid from TTU. OU will have a solid one even though we don't know who that will be yet. Basically, the entire B12 returns their starting QB's. Not to mention the other skill players returning. Points per game will go up next year across the league. Will we have the defense to be the outlier on that average?

How in the heck is Will still carrying the ball like a loaf of bread (or hot potato) when he heads down field? He has played football for quite a few years and I am sure he has been coached to not carry the ball in this fashion by every coach he has been in contact with! What gives? Warez

I think we all know the answer.

Gundy on how they "adjusted" in the second half.

"We scrapped the gameplan and went to 4wr sets, ran 6 basic plays out of that in hurry up. Every run we used a cut back"

That's what 750,000 gets you

Texas Tech held them to 17
Kansas State KANSAS STATE lmao held them to 12
Baylor did give up 31 to them but all three managed to beat them.

Gibson single handedly ruined a memorable season.

The defense has not one time this season been the reason WVU has won any game.

Next season there is a TON of talent returning on both sides of the ball. If Spav can develop either Allison or Lowe (which history says he absolutely will) and Dana spends some major money to bring in a top notch defensive coordinator (that runs a similar scheme but not exactly as 3-3-5) it could be another great run.

I say try and get Chad Glascow from TCU to run 4-2-5.

If not try John Heacock.

Then I say Bo Pelini. He only makes about 250,000 as Head Coach at YSU. He would leap at the chance for a Big12 gig as coordinator going up against Texas and Oklahoma.

Bottom line get someone in here with a PROVEN friggin defensive resume. Not some DB coach who's DB were never that good.

I’ve been saying the same thing for a while. Gibson is way below the line.

Sunday, 11/25/18, Gibson still employed as WV DC, wtf!
Terminate him immediately, schedul DC interviews ASAP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT