ADVERTISEMENT

Gibson needs to be fired after Gundy's comments

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
Gundy on how they "adjusted" in the second half.

"We scrapped the gameplan and went to 4wr sets, ran 6 basic plays out of that in hurry up. Every run we used a cut back"

That's what 750,000 gets you

Texas Tech held them to 17
Kansas State KANSAS STATE lmao held them to 12
Baylor did give up 31 to them but all three managed to beat them.

Gibson single handedly ruined a memorable season.

The defense has not one time this season been the reason WVU has won any game.

Next season there is a TON of talent returning on both sides of the ball. If Spav can develop either Allison or Lowe (which history says he absolutely will) and Dana spends some major money to bring in a top notch defensive coordinator (that runs a similar scheme but not exactly as 3-3-5) it could be another great run.

I say try and get Chad Glascow from TCU to run 4-2-5.

If not try John Heacock.

Then I say Bo Pelini. He only makes about 250,000 as Head Coach at YSU. He would leap at the chance for a Big12 gig as coordinator going up against Texas and Oklahoma.

Bottom line get someone in here with a PROVEN friggin defensive resume. Not some DB coach who's DB were never that good.

Spav has never developed his own QB. Everywhere he has been has had an experienced QB already.

DC coaches list?

Todd Graham - Unemployed
Jeff Casteel - Unemployed
Ralph Street - PVAMU
Matt Entz - NDSU
Justin Deason - UIW
Tony Pecoraro - FAU

The Golden Eagles recruited the Florida panhandle often during Pecoraro time in Hattiesburg so his ties to that region of Florida is a bonus on the recruiting trail.

But make no mistake, this hire was made because of what Pecoraro produced on the field. Given how well Pecoraro adapted his schemes to the talent he inherited at USM, it isn’t hard to envision the Owls having a very successful defensive unit during Pecoraro’s first year in Boca Raton.

Clint Trickett also at FAU coaching TE position.

HC up and coming

Travis Trickett - Travis Trickett, formerly the offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic and Samford, is the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on head coach Shawn Elliott's Georgia State staff.

Trickett’s coaching experience also includes graduate assistantship with two of college football’s most storied programs at Alabama and Florida State.

He spent one year (2007-08) as offensive graduate assistant on Nick Saban’s staff at Alabama, and then three seasons (2008-10) with the Seminoles, working under both Bobby Bowden and Jimbo Fisher.

Trickett began his coaching career as a student assistant at West Virginia from 2003-07, where he served under head coach Rich Rodriguez and had the opportunity to work with quarterback Pat White.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in administration and marketing from West Virginia in 2007 and a master’s degree sports administration from Florida State in 2009.

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=211393885

Sometimes head coaches are just to loyal to their coaches and others are just to stupid to make changes that 99.9% of fans see as being needed. Remember an OC that we had here a few years ago...Jeff Mullin...he was a terrible play caller while he was here. Bill Stewart was told to get rid of him, but out of loyalty refused. I think it was one of the reason Bill was canned.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

"We scrapped the gameplan and went to 4wr sets, ran 6 basic plays out of that in hurry up. Every run we used a cut back"

Next season there is a TON of talent returning on both sides of the ball. If Spav can develop either Allison or Lowe (which history says he absolutely will) and Dana spends some major money to bring in a top notch defensive coordinator (that runs a similar scheme but not exactly as 3-3-5) it could be another great run.

If not try John Heacock.

Then I say Bo Pelini. He only makes about 250,000 as Head Coach at YSU. He would leap at the chance for a Big12 gig as coordinator going up against Texas and Oklahoma.

Bottom line get someone in here with a PROVEN friggin defensive resume. Not some DB coach who's DB were never that good.

And what about our offensive problems in second half? Only 10 points. No adjustments there, yet you single out only the DC? Why is that? Dana's **** in your mouth, perhaps?

Reactions: Rootmaster
And what about our offensive problems in second half? Only 10 points. No adjustments there, yet you single out only the DC? Why is that? Dana's **** in your mouth, perhaps?

you mean the fumble and multiple drive-killing dropped passes by our otherwise NFL-caliber WRs?

because I think that's what you mean....

WVU scored 41 points......... our season average is 41 points/game. That means WVU offense AT LEAST played average. And at the end of the game, we had the ball right where it needed to be to make a game-winning play..... and they failed to execute.

Now, Gibson's defense has been giving up 23 points a game............... their average.

They gave up 45. It was the defense's fault WVU lost. Plain and simple. Fire Tony Gibson.

you mean the fumble and multiple drive-killing dropped passes by our otherwise NFL-caliber WRs?

because I think that's what you mean....

WVU scored 41 points......... our season average is 41 points/game. That means WVU offense AT LEAST played average. And at the end of the game, we had the ball right where it needed to be to make a game-winning play..... and they failed to execute.

Now, Gibson's defense has been giving up 23 points a game............... their average.

They gave up 45. It was the defense's fault WVU lost. Plain and simple. Fire Tony Gibson.

Scored 10 points in 2nd half......playcalling was different. No adjustments on that side of the ball either.

Scored 10 points in 2nd half......playcalling was different. No adjustments on that side of the ball either.

no it wasn't.

And it doesn't matter what half the points come in....................... they totaled to 41. If you score 41 points........ with any defense at all................. you should win.

Fire Tony Gibson. These stupid T-shirt fans don't even watch the games it seems.....

If Will Grier throws the ball out of bounds instead of holding onto to it (YET AGAIN) far too long and fumbling it................ we have 4th down in the redzone and kick another FG........ that means at the end of the game, when we have the ball on the 14 yard line and the clock stopped for one more play.................. a simple chip shot FG wins the game.

But idiots want to blame Jake Spavital for something, right? The guy who coached the offense to 41 points and 550 yards of offense.

no it wasn't.

And it doesn't matter what half the points come in....................... they totaled to 41. If you score 41 points........ with any defense at all................. you should win.

Fire Tony Gibson. These stupid T-shirt fans don't even watch the games it seems.....

If Will Grier throws the ball out of bounds instead of holding onto to it (YET AGAIN) far too long and fumbling it................ we have 4th down in the redzone and kick another FG........ that means at the end of the game, when we have the ball on the 14 yard line and the clock stopped for one more play.................. a simple chip shot FG wins the game.

But idiots want to blame Jake Spavital for something, right? The guy who coached the offense to 41 points and 550 yards of offense.

Dana and Spavital do no wrong in your eyes. Blame the players for everything. T-shirt fans? I guess you are a knee-pad fan........better stock up.

Reactions: GoWVU
Dana and Spavital do no wrong in your eyes. Blame the players for everything. T-shirt fans? I guess you are a knee-pad fan........better stock up.

The players are the ones on the field making or not making the plays...................... stop coddling, Nancy.

If Dana kicks a FG in the 1st half instead of going for it on 4th............. same final FG situation applies. Lay it on Dana if you want, but pointing a finger at our OC is outright stupid. That same OC got our offense from the 25 yard line to the 14 yard line via his calls is 26 seconds.

"Yea but we didn't score 50....... Offense sucked" - T shirt fan

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
The players are the ones on the field making or not making the plays...................... stop coddling, Nancy.

If Dana kicks a FG in the 1st half instead of going for it on 4th............. same final FG situation applies. Lay it on Dana if you want, but pointing a finger at our OC is outright stupid. That same OC got our offense from the 25 yard line to the 14 yard line via his calls is 26 seconds.

"Yea but we didn't score 50....... Offense sucked" - T shirt fan

So, he got us from the 25 to the 14 in the final 26 seconds......yet for the 3rd and 4th quarter up until that point, he couldn't get us more than 10 points? Guess the players were just more focused the final few seconds.

So, he got us from the 25 to the 14 in the final 26 seconds......yet for the 3rd and 4th quarter up until that point, he couldn't get us more than 10 points? Guess the players were just more focused the final few seconds.

Our possessions in the 2nd half:

Grier fumble kills red zone drive

FG off OSU fumble on punt..... which followed Marcus Simms on 3rd down snapping his route off too short on 3rd down and only getting 5 yards when we needed 8.

3 and out on 3 straight incompletes including a drop by David Sills

TD

Punt due to David Sills false start on 4th down..... earlier in the drive Simms drops a 1st down pass.

End of game incomplete pass....

Our possessions in the 2nd half:

Grier fumble kills red zone drive

FG off OSU fumble on punt..... which followed Marcus Simms on 3rd down snapping his route off too short on 3rd down and only getting 5 yards when we needed 8.

3 and out on 3 straight incompletes including a drop by David Sills

TD

Punt due to David Sills false start on 4th down..... earlier in the drive Simms drops a 1st down pass.

End of game incomplete pass....

Keaton nailed it. Offense got a lot of points, did a lot of good, but had a major role in the game coming down to the final minute with WVU behind.
Defense made its mistakes. But an offense that squanders FOUR turnovers it not blameless.

Spavital and Gibby did good things. And WVU screwed the pooch a lot, too. That's college football.

"Firing" coaches posts are so ignorant. WVU is 8-2 with such a "terrible" offense and "terrible" defense? Give me a break.

But I'm not worried. If WVU beats Oklahoma and Texas and is Big 12 champ EVERYBODY will be back on the bandwagon. It's the nature of the beast.

For me, I'm thrilled that I'll be in Section 105 in Mountaineer Field for the 8pm Friday kickoff and my heart will be thumping if I get to sing "Country Roads" after a victory over the Sooners. I'm not Pollyanna, but I am an optimist. And I love my alma mater.

If you don't, get off my lawn!!!!

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R etching collapse at Oklahoma State, 41-45

S hootout success over Oklahoma & play for Big 12 title vs. Texas

Keaton nailed it. Offense got a lot of points, did a lot of good, but had a major role in the game coming down to the final minute with WVU behind.
Defense made its mistakes. But an offense that squanders FOUR turnovers it not blameless.

Spavital and Gibby did good things. And WVU screwed the pooch a lot, too. That's college football.

"Firing" coaches posts are so ignorant. WVU is 8-2 with such a "terrible" offense and "terrible" defense? Give me a break.

But I'm not worried. If WVU beats Oklahoma and Texas and is Big 12 champ EVERYBODY will be back on the bandwagon. It's the nature of the beast.

For me, I'm thrilled that I'll be in Section 105 in Mountaineer Field for the 8pm Friday kickoff and my heart will be thumping if I get to sing "Country Roads" after a victory over the Sooners. I'm not Pollyanna, but I am an optimist. And I love my alma mater.

If you don't, get off my lawn!!!!

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

We turned four turnovers into a TD and 2 FGs with only one TO leading to no points....

Except that possession is the one where we went for 4th and goal.... pinning the opponent back into its end zone and forcing a quick 3-n-out that AGAIN led to another field goal.

Do better, supposed “sports expert”

Tony Gibson has failed to produce a top FIFTY defense since arriving to WVU. Our defense has been our weakness all season. He needs replaced

Notice how when it comes to “good ole WV boy” Tony Gibson costing WVU another victory..... this old bag’s gimmick changes to “well I’m just happy to be here Rah Rah Rah!” ?

13 to 3.....

WVU easily won the points off of Turnovers battle

Should have been 16 to 3 as Dana should have taken the points in the first half instead of going for it on 4th down

But to blame anything other than the defense is monumentally stupid

It was 31-14 at halftime

good ole WV boy

You obviously have a grudge against the state...so why follow WVU sports and why post? I, for one, appreciate what WV folks bring to the table...and am proud to be one. Might be an ex-pat but my heart never left there. You, on the other hand, are a carpet bagging blowhard with a misplaced sense of superiority.

It’s weird to see these anti WV syndrome clowns that think they look big cause they left the state. Bunch of no pride losers.

You obviously have a grudge against the state...so why follow WVU sports and why post? I, for one, appreciate what WV folks bring to the table...and am proud to be one. Might be an ex-pat but my heart never left there. You, on the other hand, are a carpet bagging blowhard with a misplaced sense of superiority.

He forgets that 2 years ago, Gibson bailed Holgerson's a$$ out by having a very good defense.

He forgets that 2 years ago, Gibson bailed Holgerson's a$$ out by having a very good defense.

No he didnt

2016:

Total Yards Allowed - 77th
Yards per Game allowed - 79th
Points allowed - 33rd
Points per Game allowed -36th
Passing yards allowed - 98th
Rushing yards allowed - 66th

Gibson only gets love because of how bad DeForest was at DCing. Gibson was an improvement, just not a good enough one. DeForest set the bar extremely low. We can do better than Gibby. I like the dude, but imo we need to go a different direction.

We turned four turnovers into a TD and 2 FGs with only one TO leading to no points....

Except that possession is the one where we went for 4th and goal.... pinning the opponent back into its end zone and forcing a quick 3-n-out that AGAIN led to another field goal.

Do better, supposed “sports expert”

Tony Gibson has failed to produce a top FIFTY defense since arriving to WVU. Our defense has been our weakness all season. He needs replaced

Notice how when it comes to “good ole WV boy” Tony Gibson costing WVU another victory..... this old bag’s gimmick changes to “well I’m just happy to be here Rah Rah Rah!” ?

d
WVU recovers fumble at Oklahoma State 27.

WVU drives to a TD.

WVU interception returned to Oklahoma State 35.

WVU offense fails to score.

WVU intercepts, gives offense ball at WVU 35.

WVU offense has to settle for 43-yard FG.

WVU’s Grier fumbles ball away at Oklahoma State 17.

Oklahoma State gets 20-yard FG.

WVU kicking team recovers fumbled punt at Oklahoma State 18.

WVU has to settle for 34-yard FG.

Twist it any way you want but the offense failed to take advantage of the turnovers.
And fumbled one away, too.
And NO touchdowns by the WVU offense on the last 3 turnovers gifted to the offense.

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

13-3 Turnover margin in WVU’s favor

3 times out of 4, WVU scores off OSU turnovers..... and it could have easily been all 4 times but Dana rolled the dice

If not try John Heacock.

Im not really sure how this conversation gets changed. We were fully aware our offense would have to our score other teams to win because our defense had some many question marks. We lucked into two grad transfer lineman and we had very little depth at linebacker. Gibby was smart when a backup safety worked out at linebacker then you have a walkon at MLB.

Settled for 2 FGs. 1 TD out of 4 turnovers.

“Settled” for points off of turnovers...

Just admit when you made that idiotic statement that you had no idea the points accumulated

“Offense should have scored more! Ain’t the WV boy’s fault his defense gave up 31 in a half of football!”

ITT,

Someone lowers the bar to “hometown boy” standards and says a defense far outside the top 25 is a “very good” defense
No one was saying this early in the season when gibby was turning what looked like chicken shit into chicken salad....an unknown safety that he turns into a linebacker....a walkon that starts most of the season at MLB...and two transfer dlineman that he had to coach up fast....no bad from where we started...and where we were last year

No one was saying this early in the season when gibby was turning what looked like chicken shit into chicken salad....an unknown safety that he turns into a linebacker....a walkon that starts most of the season at MLB...and two transfer dlineman that he had to coach up fast....no bad from where we started...and where we were last year

ITT,

“Our DC is great because even though he can’t bring in quality recruits, he can form a patch-job defense that still ranks outside the top 50..... but gosh, he’s one of us! He deserves it!”

As well as...

“Hey, at least he isn’t as awful as last season when his defense was almost outside the top 100!”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT