ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia parent reading sexual content from library at school board meeting is cut off

30CAT

Heisman Winner
May 29, 2001
Williamstown, WV
Is your head exploding yet? Leftists are destroying our country!

LINK: A Georgia school board member cut off a mother reading sexually explicit content from a book available to high school students in the district, saying the passage was "inappropriate" for any children to potentially hear.

"Excuse me, we have children at home," Cherokee County school board member identified as Patsy Jordan told the angry mother after she read a sexually-charged passage from the book "Homegoing." The school board member pointed out that the meeting was being livestreamed and said reading the passage was "inappropriate."

"Don’t you find the irony in that?" the parent responded. "You’re exactly saying exactly what I’m telling you! You’re giving it to our children! I would never give this to my children!"

Video of the exchange has since received hundreds of thousands of views on social media.

The parent at the meeting recounted to the board that the process of removing books from school libraries is lengthy. She said the current wait time for a review of a book reaches to November of this year, and books under review remain available to students until the review is complete.

"All this happened under your watch," the parent told the board. "Maybe if you spent more time reading these books instead of calculating the statistical demographics of those submitting the books, you wouldn't grooming our children. You're saying that we're embarrassing you? Well, you're embarrassing us and our kids. It's not OK! You are supposed to be giving them a safe space in school. These books? If I can't email them to you, if I can't say them, they shouldn't be in the school!"

The board then told the mother her time was up.

A spokesperson for the Cherokee County School District told Fox News Digital Thursday morning that school board members stopped the parent "because she was reading a high school-level book, and children younger than high school age have access to watch the meeting livestream and access to watch the video when it was posted the next day on the CCSD website."

The spokesperson added that the concerned parent does not have students at the high school level within the school district and "had been repeatedly advised" she could file a challenge to remove the book, but has not done so. The book is only available to high school-aged students in the district, and parents "have the right to restrict their child from checking out books from media centers."

The book "Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi is described as an "extraordinary novel" that "illuminates slavery’s troubled legacy both for those who were taken and those who stayed—and shows how the memory of captivity has been inscribed on the soul of our nation," according to Barnes & Noble.

The unidentified mother at the meeting told PJ Media that parents have been bringing explicit books to the attention of the school board since about November of last year. The mother circled back with other concerned parents in January, only to find the books in question were still available to students. Now, parents are reviewing a list of books available to students that they find inappropriate, including "The Glass Castle," PJ Media reported.

Two things after reading that story. That school board is either supremely arrogant or grossly incompetent to not understand what that concerned Mom was graphically pointing out to them.

Then I'm asking myself, why does she have her kids in Government schools anyway? No way a Private school would tolerate this nonsense, or ignore Parent's concerns like this tone deaf school board does.

Two things after reading that story. That school board is either supremely arrogant or grossly incompetent to not understand what that concerned Mom was graphically pointing out to them.

Then I'm asking myself, why does she have her kids in Government schools anyway? No way a Private school would tolerate this nonsense, or ignore Parent's concerns like this tone deaf school board does.
It may be a simple matter that she/ her family is not in possession pf the necessary funds and other necessities such as private transportation to allow enrollment in a private school. Many (maybd most) Private schools are inherently expensive with escalation each year as the student progresses through thd “grades”/year, making it an ever increasing burden.

Reactions: bigmac0924
It may be a simple matter that she/ her family is not in possession pf the necessary funds and other necessities such as private transportation to allow enrollment in a private school. Many (maybd most) Private schools are inherently expensive with escalation each year as the student progresses through thd “grades”/year, making it an ever increasing burden.
You know I can appreciate that, plus the fact so many parents are struggling now with just putting decent meals on the table because of creepy Joe's misguided policies which have wrecked this economy & given us runaway inflation. I am not unsympathetic to that dilemma many parents face who'd probably rather have their kids in private schools, I do understand your point.

However I see a child's education as critical to their well being as food, clothing or shelter. Parents who love their kids and want what's best for them never compromise on providing decent meals, clothing or a roof over their heads. Though they may indeed struggle at times to provide those basic necessities, they'd still do all in their power to make sure those basics are never compromised including (if they have to) denying themselves food, clothing or even shelter in order to make sure their kids have it! To me education is equally as critical as those things are to a child's ultimate welfare and survival.

Quick story....I didn't grow up rich....my Dad was a butcher by trade, and my Mom was an office administrator who later went to College part time evenings to get her Master's in Education. However while they didn't have much money, they both sacrificed to send my older Brother, me, and my two younger Sisters to private schools. Mom worked extra jobs, we didn't go on fancy vacations, my Dad did odd jobs which included repairing neighbor's cars...and they scraped together the extra funds needed to make sure we all received the best education they could afford by sending us to Catholic schools. That's not to brag, but merely to suggest they did all that during a time when the Government schools weren't nearly as bad as most are now! They still wanted the best they could afford for us, and we're all thankful for their sacrifice. I'm eternally grateful to the Nuns and Jesuit Priests who educated all of us...we all benefitted greatly from the sacrifice our Parents made for all of us.

While many Private schools today are horribly expensive, there are now thankfully many lower cost alternatives available for Parents who wish to get their kids out of government indoctrination centers like the one referenced in the OP. Make no mistake about it, government schools DO NOT educate...they indoctrinate! Today there are many promising alternatives to the mindless social brainwashing being done on our kids by Leftist ideologues who are more driven by Teacher's Unions and bureaucrats interested only in protecting their jobs or political influence.

For instance there are many fine low cost home schooling online materials now available, charter schools, virtual schools...the list grows exponentially each day. These are in addition to schools run by non denominational Churches, Religious groups, and other private organizations. Some are quite affordable, some even offer scholarships for parents needing financial assistance. The push for school choice vouchers is also more popular now than ever before and in fact a winning issue for the GOP particularly among minority parents who favor them by overwhelming margins against unexplainable Democrat/Teacher Union opposition.

My point is for Parents who view offering their child the best education they can afford as critical as providing them food, clothing or shelter...there should be no room for compromise or any sacrifice necessary to make sure their most precious gifts from Almighty God have at least a chance to ascend to the limitless potential their Creator Blessed the Parents to provide for them.

• Love
Reactions: 30CAT
You know I can appreciate that, plus the fact so many parents are struggling now with just putting decent meals on the table because of creepy Joe's misguided policies which have wrecked this economy & given us runaway inflation. I am not unsympathetic to that dilemma many parents face who'd probably rather have their kids in private schools, I do understand your point.

However I see a child's education as critical to their well being as food, clothing or shelter. Parents who love their kids and want what's best for them never compromise on providing decent meals, clothing or a roof over their heads. Though they may indeed struggle at times to provide those basic necessities, they'd still do all in their power to make sure those basics are never compromised including (if they have to) denying themselves food, clothing or even shelter in order to make sure their kids have it! To me education is equally as critical as those things are to a child's ultimate welfare and survival.

Quick story....I didn't grow up rich....my Dad was a butcher by trade, and my Mom was an office administrator who later went to College part time evenings to get her Master's in Education. However while they didn't have much money, they both sacrificed to send my older Brother, me, and my two younger Sisters to private schools. Mom worked extra jobs, we didn't go on fancy vacations, my Dad did odd jobs which included repairing neighbor's cars...and they scraped together the extra funds needed to make sure we all received the best education they could afford by sending us to Catholic schools. That's not to brag, but merely to suggest they did all that during a time when the Government schools weren't nearly as bad as most are now! They still wanted the best they could afford for us, and we're all thankful for their sacrifice. I'm eternally grateful to the Nuns and Jesuit Priests who educated all of us...we all benefitted greatly from the sacrifice our Parents made for all of us.

While many Private schools today are horribly expensive, there are now thankfully many lower cost alternatives available for Parents who wish to get their kids out of government indoctrination centers like the one referenced in the OP. Make no mistake about it, government schools DO NOT educate...they indoctrinate! Today there are many promising alternatives to the mindless social brainwashing being done on our kids by Leftist ideologues who are more driven by Teacher's Unions and bureaucrats interested only in protecting their jobs or political influence.

For instance there are many fine low cost home schooling online materials now available, charter schools, virtual schools...the list grows exponentially each day. These are in addition to schools run by non denominational Churches, Religious groups, and other private organizations. Some are quite affordable, some even offer scholarships for parents needing financial assistance. The push for school choice vouchers is also more popular now than ever before and in fact a winning issue for the GOP particularly among minority parents who favor them by overwhelming margins against unexplainable Democrat/Teacher Union opposition.

My point is for Parents who view offering their child the best education they can afford as critical as providing them food, clothing or shelter...there should be no room for compromise or any sacrifice necessary to make sure their most precious gifts from Almighty God have at least a chance to ascend to the limitless potential their Creator Blessed the Parents to provide for them.
And after all that you became a used car salesman. Shewwwwwwww

No you uninformed myrmidon. I graduated from WVU with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and I spent over two decades as a successful news reporter/anchor. I got into the car business after the Olympics here in Atlanta as a spokesperson for the metro area Ford Dealer's assoc. and that relationship led to my rewarding career as a sales associate for brand new Ford automobiles and light trucks.

Myrmadon @Bucktown Brown displaying his admiration for atl
giphy.gif

@Bucktown Brown trying to explain why he mindlessly casts his ill informed vote for Democrats like creepy Joe Biden
giphy.gif

Hey he hated Trump atl, he didn't need any other reason to vote for a dweeb like me... Leave him alone!
iu

Last edited:
  • Haha
Hey 'ol @Bucktown Brown 'ol buddy 'ol pal...can you give this forum three of your best reasons for casting that mindless "record" vote for creepy Joe, and as a bonus tie that priceless vote you cast to three of his best results so far based on your well informed decision?

Maybe that's too hard for someone educated in government schools, but you did join "record numbers" of equally ill informed voters casting your ballot correct? So while there is certianly strength in raw numbers you're really tellin' us here on the OT forum ALL of you Biden clapping seals were nothing but brainwashed, mind numbed, useful idiots voting for this guy?

Hey watch it atl....I got more votes than YOU 'ya know?
iu

Yeah that's true creepy Joe but I wasn't running and besides I didn't vote for your absent minded creepy old ass! @Bucktown Brown DID though so I simply want to know why? How 'bout it bucknut brown? What 'cha got?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I don't think @Bucktown Brown will ever answer the question in post #10 of this thread. Wonder why not?

Say Bro...imagine voting for someone and you can't even explain why?
giphy.gif

Yeah well that's @Bucktown Brown for 'ya! 👌 😆

Last edited:
If your parents sacrificed their hard earned money to send you to College, why haven't you Thanked them or at the least apologized to them for wasting their investment on you only to watch you graduate and wind up voting Democrat? :oops:

Hey @Bucktown Brown .....
giphy.gif

Hey @Bucktown Brown last couple of questions for you then I'll leave you alone (even though you came after me first calling me a "used car salesman") :rolleyes:

1) Assuming you went to government schools, why aren't you bragging on the education you got from them? I'm proud of my private school education and often speak of it...I've never heard you compliment the education you got in the government indoctrination center. Why not?

2) If you voted for Biden and are proud of that, why don't you ever applaud or point out his successes? You were part of an historic record 80 million voters who cast a ballot for our oldest ever Presidential candidate, yet I've never once read on here your strong support for him or promoting his successes. Why not?

Very well written and provides good, logical discourse.
I seem to fall in the one category
you seemed to infer didn’t exist—I attended and proclaim to have received a decent education in the ‘government’ system. (I hasten to add that I began my journey just slightly after WWII, graduating HS in the late 50’s. In those days there were not numerous options—a small Catholic school and we were not Catholic! Even had thee been additional private options O doint we would/could have afforded ot. We had one car and Dad worked from afternoon till
Midnight. Bus travel wsd used by dome we knew, but it was not prompt snd not sure we could have afforded the fares.
Sorry gotta go —Grand kids pick up at their school NOW .

Very well written and provides good, logical discourse.
I seem to fall in the one category
you seemed to infer didn’t exist—I attended and proclaim to have received a decent education in the ‘government’ system. (I hasten to add that I began my journey just slightly after WWII, graduating HS in the late 50’s. In those days there were not numerous options—a small Catholic school and we were not Catholic! Even had thee been additional private options O doint we would/could have afforded ot. We had one car and Dad worked from afternoon till
Midnight. Bus travel wsd used by dome we knew, but it was not prompt snd not sure we could have afforded the fares.
Sorry gotta go —Grand kids pick up at their school NOW .

I can pretty much gather where you were going with your thoughts and as I said, I can certainly appreciate the struggle many parents face considering private schooling for their kids.

I also didn't mean to imply all government schools are poor. Some do perform well, even comparably to many private schools although those are usually exceptions. I find where government schools do well, parental involvement as well as their feedback is not only accepted but appreciated by administrators. That to me is the key to quality education, parental input.

Where school boards allow parents' concerns and accept their input, kids tend to perform better. It's one reason private schools on the whole perform better and another reason why I favor school choice vouchers. Allowing parents to decide where to spend those education dollars assures they have a vested interest in the quality of their kid's education. The money is being spent anyway, why not put parents in charge of how it is spent instead of faceless bureaucrats?

The OP demonstrated how tone deaf most administrators can be and usually are once they have unchecked power over how our kids are educated.

Last edited:
Get every Democrat out of local school boards. They are creepy and odd.
I just think that the school board referenced in the OP is part of the problem with top heavy government run education. The closer you can bring parents into that equation, the better off students and the schools end up. School choice vouchers efficiently answers that demand for more parental involvement IMO, and accordingly de-centralizes the bureaucratic albatross placed around most teacher's necks. Parental involvement and school choice is fundamental to how Private schools operate and I see no reason why their models can't be duplicated in government funded schools.

I just think that the school board referenced in the OP is part of the problem with top heavy government run education. The closer you can bring parents into that equation, the better off students and the schools end up. School choice vouchers efficiently answers that demand for more parental involvement IMO, and accordingly de-centralizes the bureaucratic albatross placed around most teacher's necks. Parental involvement and school choice is fundamental to how Private schools operate and I see no reason why their models can't be duplicated in government funded schools.
Nope. The parents are every bit as stupid as the school boards. Go watch a youth soccer game or baseball game to see how parents behave and think.

Nope. The parents are every bit as stupid as the school boards. Go watch a youth soccer game or baseball game to see how parents behave and think.
While I can't argue that's true for some parents, I still believe the vast majority of caring Parents care what their kids are learning and want to be involved in it.

Reactions: 30CAT and mtn1neer
While I can't argue that's true for some parents, I still believe the vast majority of caring Parents care what their kids are learning and want to be involved in it.
I don't. I think the vast majority of parents say they care but when it is time to be involved, are not.

For example, a local city in Hampton Roads keeps records of the attendance at the annual Parents Night at the schools in the city. The attendance is below 25%. Parent-teacher conferences aren't much better.

Parents are more interested in shoving an Ipad in their kid's face so they can be left alone and not bothered when watching television

Reactions: roadtrasheer
I don't. I think the vast majority of parents say they care but when it is time to be involved, are not.

For example, a local city in Hampton Roads keeps records of the attendance at the annual Parents Night at the schools in the city. The attendance is below 25%. Parent-teacher conferences aren't much better.

Parents are more interested in shoving an Ipad in their kid's face so they can be left alone and not bothered when watching television
Again that's certainly true for some parents, however I still think most parents care very much what their kids are learning in school but the system (ie: government schools) is designed to block their input. In private schools it's the exact opposite. Parental involvement is critical for the academic programs to function and deliver results parents are paying for.

Just another reason why I favor school choice vouchers, which by definition creates competition among schools for those education dollars. Government monopoly control of schools is the issue to me, not lack of parental involvement.

The government school parent in the OP wanted to be involved and was speaking for many other parents yet the school board was tone deaf or unconcerned.

Again that's certainly true for some parents, however I still think most parents care very much what their kids are learning in school but the system (ie: government schools) is designed to block their input. In private schools it's the exact opposite. Parental involvement is critical for the academic programs to function and deliver results parents are paying for.

Just another reason why I favor school choice vouchers, which by definition creates competition among schools for those education dollars. Government monopoly control of schools is the issue to me, not lack of parental involvement.

The government school parent in the OP wanted to be involved and was speaking for many other parents yet the school board was tone deaf or unconcerned.
There is just as much bullshit in private schools as public.

And the liberal nonsense goes largely unchecked at private institutions. My oldest is only in grade school and I have already had to tell him to state what the teacher thinks on his exams rather than what he thinks is correct.

No you uninformed myrmidon. I graduated from WVU with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and I spent over two decades as a successful news reporter/anchor. I got into the car business after the Olympics here in Atlanta as a spokesperson for the metro area Ford Dealer's assoc. and that relationship led to my rewarding career as a sales associate for brand new Ford automobiles and light trucks.

Myrmadon @Bucktown Brown displaying his admiration for atl
giphy.gif
BS. If you were successful you'd still be doing it. And as I've pointed out before, used car salesmen...albeit cheasier...make more money than new car salesmen. So, I would be too proud of that fact.

Reactions: Bucktown Brown
BS. If you were successful you'd still be doing it. And as I've pointed out before, used car salesmen...albeit cheasier...make more money than new car salesmen. So, I would be too proud of that fact.
Hey is that guy @NYC_Eer as ignorant as he is "bored" posting on the OT forum?
giphy.gif

• Haha
as I've pointed out before, used car salesmen...albeit cheasier...make more money than new car salesmen
OK...fair enough... so then compare for me your statistics proving your point. I can easily post what the average sales associate at a metro dealership the size of the one I deliver new units in makes. (the average mind you)

OK now...Back up what you're saying.

Look at @NYC_Eer rushing off to find the stats he won't post to prove his worthless point
giphy.gif

* I'll 100% guarantee you can't back up what you've said and I'll further stipulate the vechicle you're driving currently is USED. So if there is some sort of stigma on the Left attached to owning or purchasing USED vehicles, you 100% qualify!

@NYC_Eer learning he drives a "used" vechicle
giphy.gif

• Haha
OK...fair enough... so then compare for me your statistics proving your point. I can easily post what the average sales associate at a metro dealership the size of the one I deliver new units in makes. (the average mind you)

OK now...Back up what you're saying.

Look at @NYC_Eer rushing off to find the stats he won't post to prove his worthless point
giphy.gif

* I'll 100% guarantee you can't back up what you've said and I'll further stipulate the vechicle you're driving currently is USED. So if there is some sort of stigma on the Left attached to owning or purchasing USED vehicles, you 100% qualify!

@NYC_Eer learning he drives a "used" vechicle
giphy.gif

The running away gif... :joy:

laughing-zlatan.gif

• Haha
Reactions: atlkvb
There is just as much bullshit in private schools as public.

And the liberal nonsense goes largely unchecked at private institutions. My oldest is only in grade school and I have already had to tell him to state what the teacher thinks on his exams rather than what he thinks is correct.
While that may be true, parents and their input are at least always heard and often times considered at Private schools. It's the only way they can survive is by hearing and meeting parent's concerns. In government run schools, most of those administrators couldn't care less about the kids or their parents...all they care about is preserving their cushy union protected jobs.

Last edited:
While that may be true, parents and their input are at least always heard and often times considered at Private schools. It's the only way they can survive is by hearing and meeting parent's concerns. In government run schools, most of those administrators couldn't care less about the kids or their parents...all they care about is protecting their cushy jobs.
The board members of private schools aren't much different than the elected school boards. They push the shit they want to. And you are wrong about parent's concerns. Safety issues? Sure, but private schools will not change their curriculum because some parents want it. Well, good private schools won't.

There is a school here, Bishop Sullivan, that received an enormous Under Armor contract and it went full blown athletic-oriented. They recruited football players from all over Hampton Roads and had, at one point, 23 players with division 1 scholarship offers on a single football team. Many parents pulled their kids out because they were now going to school with thugs who really didn't give a shit about education, which is exactly what many parents want to avoid.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
The board members of private schools aren't much different than the elected school boards. They push the shit they want to. And you are wrong about parent's concerns. Safety issues? Sure, but private schools will not change their curriculum because some parents want it. Well, good private schools won't.

There is a school here, Bishop Sullivan, that received an enormous Under Armor contract and it went full blown athletic-oriented. They recruited football players from all over Hampton Roads and had, at one point, 23 players with division 1 scholarship offers on a single football team. Many parents pulled their kids out because they were now going to school with thugs who really didn't give a shit about education, which is exactly what many parents want to avoid.
Which proves my point. Concerned Parents tend to go where the educational goals & concerns for their kids are met, not pushed aside for athletics or any other "agenda". In government schools, it's typically socialization...allegiance to collectivization and victimology. I don't doubt your story about Bishop Sullivan, but I guarantee they won't keep their student population growing among parents who care more about academics than sports. Then again, for the parents who are more concerned that their kids get prepped for Major DIV 1A intercollegiate athletics, that may be the perfect school for them too.

I favor school choice. Different parents will choose schools that emphasize certain aspects of the educational experience over others. For some parents, that may be a sports orientation. or the arts for others, and still for others it's academics. Some others however prefer a nice balance. Let them decide. You defeat your argument if you claim those Bishop Sullivan parents who were more concerned about academics over athletics & pulled their kids out of that school didn't care about their kid's education. That's the way it's supposed to work where Parents are paying for their kid's education as is the case in most Private schools, and should be for government schools too.

Which proves my point. Concerned Parents tend to go where the educational goals & concerns for their kids are met, not pushed aside for athletics or any other "agenda". In government schools, it's typically socialization...allegiance to collectivization and victimology. I don't doubt your story about Bishop Sullivan, but I guarantee they won't keep their student population growing among parents who care more about academics than sports. Then again, for the parents who are more concerned that their kids get prepped for Major DIV 1A intercollegiate athletics, that may be the perfect school for them too.

I favor school choice. Different parents will choose schools that emphasize certain aspects of the educational experience over others. For some parents, that may be a sports orientation. or the arts for others, and still for others it's academics. Some others however prefer a nice balance. Let them decide. You defeat your argument if you claim those Bishop Sullivan parents who were more concerned about academics over athletics & pulled their kids out of that school didn't care about their kid's education. That's the way it's supposed to work where Parents are paying for their kid's education as is the case in most Private schools, and should be for government schools too.
Right. And the school didn't cater to those parents' wishes. The school's Board didn't care about those concerns. If I had argued that all parents don't give a shit about their kids' educations, the point would be defeated. Obviously those who pay for private school do care but they are a tiny fraction of families.

You might remember Tyler DeSue, who dana recruited. He was in the first group of players brought in to that school. Went to Maryland as a QB and never really saw any action.

Right. And the school didn't cater to those parents' wishes. The school's Board didn't care about those concerns. If I had argued that all parents don't give a shit about their kids' educations, the point would be defeated. Obviously those who pay for private school do care but they are a tiny fraction of families.

You might remember Tyler DeSue, who dana recruited. He was in the first group of players brought in to that school. Went to Maryland as a QB and never really saw any action.
My point is where school boards don't care about Parent's concerns, the kids suffer. Where Parent's wishes are heard and considered, kids do better. That applies to BOTH government and privately run schools. My central argument is government schools tend to be less concerned about parental input because they are heavily bureaucratized and more driven by Union concerns than education IMO. Whereas in Private schools, they depend on parental involvement which drives their results which feeds steady enrollments from more demanding parents.

I'm suggesting we duplicate that private school model for the government schools by placing parents in charge of where those dollars are spent. That will create competition and breed better educational choices for them. I do not accept your argument most parents wouldn't care about at least having the ability to make the choices that best suit their educational preferences for their own kids. Some won't care, you are 100% correct about that.

Most do and will care IMO. That's where we disagree.

In my area the teachers union and a local dem state level politician control the school boards. They pick their nominees and can drive the votes...but that's changing as local voters are participating in these elections and upsetting the applecart.

"We" took 2 seats in our last round which is significant.

Reactions: atlkvb
In my area the teachers union and a local dem state level politician control the school boards. They pick their nominees and can drive the votes...but that's changing as local voters are participating in these elections and upsetting the applecart.

"We" took 2 seats in our last round which is significant.
Need more of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT