ADVERTISEMENT

Geno Smith was the last WVU star QB

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
Recruited from High School to become the starter for WVU.

Previous Staff and current staff were unable and have been unable to recruit a solid High School QB that became the starter either in his first year or 2nd year. It's been 12 years now since Geno Smith was recruited to WVU in 2009 by Bill Stewart.

Until that changes we're not going to win 9 or more games a year.

The key today is recruiting someone just like that, someone who can become the starter in year 1 or year 2. Otherwise, they won't stick around, and will enter the portal.

Current portal is now worse than ever before. I don't like it. But one thing it might be doing is cleaning out dead weight that is taking up a scholarship.

Got to wonder why someone wants to transfer when only 14% find another team.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Current portal is now worse than ever before. I don't like it. But one thing it might be doing is cleaning out dead weight that is taking up a scholarship.

Got to wonder why someone wants to transfer when only 14% find another team.
Most leave due to either being impatient or unwilling to fight for a job, or simply aren't any good. Others are leaving because other teams are doing things behind closed doors to poach them. Either way, it's turning into a fiasco. Never know what kind of a team you're going to have year to year now days, unless you're named Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, or Oklahoma. I'm just tired of seeing the same teams play for a championship every year, but that's what college football has turned into the last decade. Probably need to expand playoffs or people will begin to turn them off.

WVU should just start going after disgruntled backups at top programs.
Disgruntled back ups at top programs are usually 3rd string 3 star players. Unless it's a QB that lost their starting job to another 4 or 5 star player after 2 years. Then those kind transfer to other top programs.

If you're thinking WIll Grier type. He already was suspended, lost his starting position and probably set to never play again for Florida so he was pretty much forced to transfer. WVU was lucky to get him and it still didn't help.

Wvu tries to play everybody else's style...except under RichRod.
Agree with this.... We need to find a unique edge again. Its difficult for WVU to recruit at the same level, for traditional concepts. Personally, I think there is a path we can leverage to give us a dominant edge, but it would require some scheme changes, at least the introduction of more diverse concepts.

SPEED..... Speed & shiftiness can beat 4-5 star players. Speed is very difficult to scheme against too, and opens up so many options from a O & D concept perspective. Focusing on improving overall team & skill position speed would give us an edge to leverage against programs that can recruit at a higher level deploying traditional concepts.

Speed combined with two TE sets, are a dangerous combo, extremely versatile too. I just back and rewatched the WVU vs VT 2003 game last night and the 2005 Sugar bowl. Rich Rod still didnt have all the players he needed in 2003, but you could see it building. 2005 is when is all came together. The combination of hardnosed & shifty players...

Brown would have to be more creative now from a scheme perspective, combining traditional & Spread run & Two TE sets, but when you have Speed at every position, even OL, it really creates a blank page for whatever you want to deploy or how you choose to attack opposition. I think it would be far easier for us to recruit that way too...

Styles are made by what the coach sees he has. You just don't set up any offense and expect to win with what you have. It is failing for previous staff at their new job and it failed for Rod when he left.

You put your team to what you can do best with what you got. Then try building with recruits or transfers to what you want.

Reactions: SeronimusPratt
The portal made it so easy to walk out at any point because someone gets in a vulnerable kids ear.

I always think of Dan Conley at Syracuse who was there for 6 years from medical redshirts. He stuck it out and didn't bounce at the first sign of setback...

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Styles are made by what the coach sees he has. You just don't set up any offense and expect to win with what you have. It is failing for previous staff at their new job and it failed for Rod when he left.

You put your team to what you can do best with what you got. Then try building with recruits or transfers to what you want.

LOL remember when RichRod tried running HIS offense with Brad Lewis....OOF

No one remembers how Geno melted down and quit on the team after the Texas Tech game? No one remembers all the divisiveness he caused in the locker room by having fights with Stedman over females ?

No one remembers how Geno melted down and quit on the team after the Texas Tech game? No one remembers all the divisiveness he caused in the locker room by having fights with Stedman over females ?
This has what to do with his talent? All this did was drop his draft status to 2nd round.

I wouldnt say he failed at coaching in Arizona, just had scandal. His team was looking good.

Winning big at Michigan doesnt seem to be very easy.
He had a losing record in the conference and was slightly above .500.

43-35 (24-30) Doesn't scream good. Brown is being raked across the coals for being .500 and coaching in a tougher conference. Holgs even slapped for his final 3 years 25-13 (18-9) and probably should have done better with the talent he had.

Rod's final 3 years with his recruits 7-6, 3-9, 7-6 oh yeah Looking good.

His first 3 season under previous staff recruits

26-14 (15-12)

Those last 3 seasons yuck 17-21 (9-18)

Of course numbers mean nothing so maybe he had a good relationship with his players.

What was his record at wvu again? How did his last year at wvu go? How has his pro career developed? Can you say overrated.
Still in NFL. Still making more money in a year than you'll make in a life time. More wins than any of the past QB's including Will Grier. Thought wins and losses were on the coach. I guess you change it when needed.

Still in NFL. Still making more money in a year than you'll make in a life time. More wins than any of the past QB's including Will Grier. Thought wins and losses were on the coach. I guess you change it when needed.
....but not a "star."

....but not a "star."

Outside of his senior season collapse, Geno was the last QB recruited out of high school that you felt good things were likely to happen each time he dropped back. From his freshman year he had skills and grew from there. I'd kill for a QB out of high school that while needing to develop during his underclassmen years could be a competent starter as an upperclassmen. So a QB that could play as a freshman or redshirt freshman would be star for WVU.

Tavon & Stedman were both amazing collegiate WR's, 5'8 & 5'10, imagine if Geno also had a couple 6'5 WR or TE... Some of the throws he made, esp with such narrow target area due to the small size of his main WR's, the accuracy he displayed is amazing. Its why I understand hes been able to remain in the NFL. His performance as a JET, is not on him. He had zero talent around him, and a seriously inept OC.. His senior year, was also not really on him... We had the worst defense in WVU history, due to DH hiring his ole buddy Joe Deforest, ranks as one of the worst hires of all time. Imagine if that team had our current defense/staff...

Geno has made a great career as a backup, maybe one day he gets his shot, with a good team & staff, but until then im sure hes happy to rake in $5mill per year to be a backup to one of the best QBs in the modern era..

Will Greer, also a "superstar" QB at WVU. Of course after Geno, Luck, Hostetler, Major Harris, etc.

Outside of his senior season collapse, Geno was the last QB recruited out of high school that you felt good things were likely to happen each time he dropped back. From his freshman year he had skills and grew from there. I'd kill for a QB out of high school that while needing to develop during his underclassmen years could be a competent starter as an upperclassmen. So a QB that could play as a freshman or redshirt freshman would be star for WVU.
Agreed.

Well I would agree with smith being the last hs grad that became a wvu qb starter...and that has been a real problem. Your...statement was however was that Geno Smith was the last star qb at wvu. He wasn't a star qb...at wvu.

WVU sucks at everything. Fire everyone. Sky is falling. Get off my lawn. = sums up the freeboard

yet they come to a WVU sports forum to talk every day…

Some jackass troll on this board doesn't get to decide what QBs at WVU were elite. Will Grier is in the NFL. Same as Geno Smith. He built his resume at WVU.

WVU fans are thrilled with that. An idiot with an agenda isn't taking that away.

Some jackass troll on this board doesn't get to decide what QBs at WVU were elite. Will Grier is in the NFL. Same as Geno Smith. He built his resume at WVU.

WVU fans are thrilled with that. An idiot with an agenda isn't taking that away.
Will Grier wasn't recruited to WVU out of High School.

A dumbass that can't read shouldn't try to change a thread.

Well I would agree with smith being the last hs grad that became a wvu qb starter...and that has been a real problem. Your...statement was however was that Geno Smith was the last star qb at wvu. He wasn't a star qb...at wvu.
26-13 as a starter. Better than what has been there from 2013 until now.
11,662 yds passing
988 comp. 1465 att. 21 INT 98 TD

Just a horrible QB and not star. Yeah right.

26-13 as a starter. Better than what has been there from 2013 until now.
11,662 yds passing
988 comp. 1465 att. 21 INT 98 TD

Just a horrible QB and not star. Yeah right.
Stop making shit up. Never said he was horrible. Not a star.

ADVERTISEMENT