ADVERTISEMENT

From Another...

Rat poison! Just kidding.

He's right on devaluing bowl games and emphasis on the playoffs. He did leave out most of the bowl games are totally an overpriced ripoff and have also turned off fans from going.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Uh oh. Some people are not going to be happy about that post.

You've said it. I've said it. Darth and other have said it. Yet, we are "idiots", "losers", and all kinds of vile trash from the bottom rings of hell.

But St. Nick has now said it. Our savior. Our knight in red and white clothing just waiting for the opportunity to come home and lead us to the promised land.

How will they reconcile this?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Rat poison! Just kidding.

He's right on devaluing bowl games and emphasis on the playoffs. He did leave out most of the bowl games are totally an overpriced ripoff and have also turned off fans from going.

Bowl games have changed.
In the 70's and 80's that mindset would have killed WV because bowls invited teams based on fanbase.

But the Alamo Bowl went with Iowa St because they sold out their allotment plus asked for more.

Bowl games have changed.
In the 70's and 80's that mindset would have killed WV because bowls invited teams based on fanbase.

But the Alamo Bowl went with Iowa St because they sold out their allotment plus asked for more.

Its more just basic economics. Supply and demand.

The higher the supply of bowl games the lower the demand for tickets will be. If you are a team that constantly makes bowl games, like WVU for instance, the value of the bowl will depend upon its prestige. To the team and to the fans and will be treated as such.

To increase the value of the bowls, you could do away with the requirement of 6 games won and make it 8 or more. This would, by proxy, lower the number of bowls available and make them more prestigious. Like the old days before college football was ruined.

Its more just basic economics. Supply and demand.

The higher the supply of bowl games the lower the demand for tickets will be. If you are a team that constantly makes bowl games, like WVU for instance, the value of the bowl will depend upon its prestige. To the team and to the fans and will be treated as such.

To increase the value of the bowls, you could do away with the requirement of 6 games won and make it 8 or more. This would, by proxy, lower the number of bowls available and make them more prestigious. Like the old days before college football was ruined.

Bowl games for the most part turn a profit.
Before the 2000's this wasn't the case. When naming rights started smaller bowls were able to stick around.
There is a better chance of more bowl games than less.

Your sense of entitlement would be true if WV had over 50 bowl appearances.
They do not. They have only been to 36. Playing in a bowl game every year should be celebrated instead of being attacked.

Bowl games for the most part turn a profit.
Before the 2000's this wasn't the case. When naming rights started smaller bowls were able to stick around.
There is a better chance of more bowl games than less.

Your sense of entitlement would be true if WV had over 50 bowl appearances.
They do not. They have only been to 36. Playing in a bowl game every year should be celebrated instead of being attacked.

First, I have to ask: Did you even watch the video?

Next, they turn a profit for the companies that sponsor them. That is why there are so many of them. It gives some money to the school too which is good. But the question at hand is the "value" of the bowl - to the players and to the fans.

Third, why 50? Why not 75 or 90 or 100? Just because you set an arbitrary number doesn't make a hill of beans. Again, if you watched the video, the discussion was about the value of the bowl to the players and fans, not about money.

Please do the work (watch the video) before responding next time. Thanks.

Reactions: wvufootball1976
First, I have to ask: Did you even watch the video?

Next, they turn a profit for the companies that sponsor them. That is why there are so many of them. It gives some money to the school too which is good. But the question at hand is the "value" of the bowl - to the players and to the fans.

Third, why 50? Why not 75 or 90 or 100? Just because you set an arbitrary number doesn't make a hill of beans. Again, if you watched the video, the discussion was about the value of the bowl to the players and fans, not about money.

Please do the work (watch the video) before responding next time. Thanks.

I have explained already on here about the extra practices.
This helps with the development of young players especially ones who are being redshirted.
Those freshmen become sophomores.

Nick Saban whined about ESD last year because he said it took away from his preparation.

The true reason why....was Bama did not have their usual recruiting class last year.
Saban and Bama fixed that this year and will be one of the schools that will take advantage of ESD.
He will lock up a lot of great players next week.

So....Saban's opinion to me doesn't change anything.
He voices his concerns because he is ultimately looking out for himself and Bama.

Keep to the topic at hand.

It is simple. Watch video. Discuss video. Don't try to change subject with irrelevant remarks.

Thank you.

Nick Saban whined about ESD last year because he said it took away from his preparation.

The true reason why....was Bama did not have their usual recruiting class last year.
Saban and Bama fixed that this year and will be one of the schools that will take advantage of ESD.
He will lock up a lot of great players next week.

So....Saban's opinion to me doesn't change anything.
He voices his concerns because he is ultimately looking out for himself and Bama.

Thank you. Finally a cogent reply.

Keep to the topic at hand.

It is simple. Watch video. Discuss video. Don't try to change subject with irrelevant remarks.

Thank you.

It is what is best for WV....

What is best for WV is the current setup.

If you go to a setup with 8 playoff teams and 4 other big bowls.
WV may never get there and they will be in an endless cycle.

It is what is best for WV....

What is best for WV is the current setup.

If you go to a setup with 8 playoff teams and 4 other big bowls.
WV may never get there and they will be in an endless cycle.

We once had a Top Ten of CFB, then it was expanded to 20 and then 25. In 1980 there were 15 bowl games, 25 by 2000, 35 by 2010 and 39 this year (down from 41 in 2017). Where 30 teams once played in a bowl game - 5 more than the rankings indicated - there are now 78 teams that participate in a bowl game.

Of course Division 1 in 1980 had 138 teams. Now FBS has 128 and FCS has 124 teams. Power 5 has 64 teams as does G5. Today almost any team that can go 6-6 ends up in a bowl game. There's nothing special or exclusive about being in a bowl game any longer.

That shouldn't keep fans from going to the bowl game, IMO. If you are a fan of the team, can attend the game then you should go to support the team; whatever it looks like on the field.

I have explained already on here about the extra practices.
This helps with the development of young players especially ones who are being redshirted.
Those freshmen become sophomores.

Extra practices don't help jack shit. If extra practices actually help then the seniors should not be allowed on the field or play in the game.

They have practiced all year. Red shirt or not they practice.

Extra practices don't help jack shit. If extra practices actually help then the seniors should not be allowed on the field or play in the game.

They have practiced all year. Red shirt or not they practice.

During the season you are more worried about installing a game plan and using your scout team to get your offense and defense ready.

There is improvement but....

Bowl games means a winter camp.
You only have two weeks of practice but you have two weeks to hit the weight room as well.

For underclass players it is huge.
If no bowl game the program is pretty much shut down until February when spring conditioning starts

Keep living the dream.

16 teams no bowls.

You want extra practice. Give all the teams an extra 3 weeks. Need for bowls out the window. Case closed.

Keep living the dream.

16 teams no bowls.

You want extra practice. Give all the teams an extra 3 weeks. Need for bowls out the window. Case closed.

Why would a WV fan promote that.

No extra practices for teams who do not make a bowl.

WV fans shouldn't promote a system that helps the big schools.

Why would a WV fan promote that.

No extra practices for teams who do not make a bowl.

WV fans shouldn't promote a system that helps the big schools.

Why does a pretend Texas fan post on a WV board? What happened to your other profiles?

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
You refuse to accept the fact that your idea of a 16 team playoff with Group of 5 teams will not work.

I guess if you are a fan of Middle Tennessee or whoever was the CUSA champion you would like your conference receiving the same payday as the PAC....

But the P5 controls the CFP.
The CFP is pretty much the BCS on steroids.
The Power 5 conference determines the rules.
Even if we went to 8 schools UCF would most likely not be included.

Simple economics

Why does a pretend Texas fan post on a WV board? What happened to your other profiles?

I like yall's board.
It is a little weird because you have a lot of negative people who I suspect aren't fans.
I have moved around from board to board. Was on Iowa St's independent message board before this for about a year.

You refuse to accept the fact that your idea of a 16 team playoff with Group of 5 teams will not work.

I guess if you are a fan of Middle Tennessee or whoever was the CUSA champion you would like your conference receiving the same payday as the PAC....

But the P5 controls the CFP.
The CFP is pretty much the BCS on steroids.
The Power 5 conference determines the rules.
Even if we went to 8 schools UCF would most likely not be included.

Simple economics

Works better than the wuss bowls.

That is subjective.
Baylor is feeling pretty good right now under Yankee Matt
What about Minnesota?
Ask them if they are pumped for their bowl game

I actually heard today there is plans for a true CFP
5 P5 Champions
1 G5
2 At Large

But to your dismay there will be bowl games still
Way too profitable and their lobbying in CFB is way too powerful

That is subjective.
Baylor is feeling pretty good right now under Yankee Matt
What about Minnesota?
Ask them if they are pumped for their bowl game

I actually heard today there is plans for a true CFP
5 P5 Champions
1 G5
2 At Large

But to your dismay there will be bowl games still
Way too profitable and their lobbying in CFB is way too powerful

Profitable for who? The marketing and advertisement guys that's who. Teams lose money on these little bowl trips. If it's a major NY 6 bowl they make money these minor bowls are scrap metal.

All bowl payouts are around one million or higher.

This money may be small for Big time programs but one million is huge for teams in the Sunbelt and CUSA

I think the Big XII is getting 3 mil for WV in the Camping World Bowl.

The one million for teams does not = 2.5 million they have to return for unsold tickets.

Is that on the fanbase...

The problem is a lot of people buy these tickets on secondary markets for better tickets.
The allotments aren't always great tickets.

WV made a tremendous amount of money last year.
I doubt that 5,500 tickets cost 2 million for WV.

Reactions: countryroads89
The bowl money goes directly to the conferences, which decide how to divide up the loot.

Bowl participants get extra money for travel expenses beyond the conference's payouts.

The Big 12 had $60 million to divide up among its members for the 2017 bowls and national playoff that included Oklahoma.

In all, including the bowl money, the Big 12 handed out $35 million per school. So no Big 12 bowl participant lost money going to a bowl game.

None.

WVU will not lose money by going to Orlando. Even without Grier.

Profitable for who? The marketing and advertisement guys that's who. Teams lose money on these little bowl trips. If it's a major NY 6 bowl they make money these minor bowls are scrap metal.

I wouldnt worry about a school losing money on a bowl. If they do, its just an expense like anything else they do.

WVU is NOT losing money on bowl games. Get that out of your heads. Even for a “shitty bowl” (according to some of our idiot fans) like the Camping World bowl, the payout is $3.7 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT