ADVERTISEMENT

Friend from EP was discussing Tyrson Bagent...

The funny thing is a Jr Tyson went to there prospect camp and won the QB completion out right...they had 25 QB's attending

and still left without an offer................... performance in a one-day camp is not always indicative of ability nor potential.

Chugs does not show has having a full ride from OSU's site

Ohio State Scholarship Distribution: 2018-19
Pos. Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior
QB

Matthew Baldwin

Tate Martell

Dwayne Haskins

"Chugunov will be on scholarship for the Buckeyes, according to Taylor's report. "

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...chugunov-to-transfer-to-ohio-state-per-report

Chugunov was added as a scholarship QB due to transfers out and their 3rd string QB being injured.

He already played in one game this season.

Im not saying a P5 school is smelling around and to give Chugs a full ride is just stupid. The only thing Im saying is go see him play for yourself.
I agree, go see him play because what he did to every state football team last year he has now doing that and more in D2

I agree, go see him play because what he did to every state football team last year he has now doing that and more in D2

what does this have to do with WVU? Why is this even a topic if you're not saying that WVU either "missed" on him or should get involved in his transfer recruitment?

the kid camped at MANY D1 schools............ and walked away with zero offers in FBS.

What he did in HS or what he's doing now in Division 2 does not matter towards that.

must be a favor to some high school coach because you and I both know that is not deserved.
I agree because he is terrible. matter of fact Dana's history of recruiting high school QB's is poor...send Tyson to prep school for a year and then recruit him again

so you'd have taken him over Trey Lowe? lol
As someone said above, Trey needs to decide between football and baseball....and with Dana's track record of poor high school QB recruiting then bring in more then one per year

please provide an example of football recruits going to prep school after HS in order to go to P5 schools.

this isn't basketball.
Why does there need to be an example its just a way to develop talent.

As someone said above, Trey needs to decide between football and baseball....and with Dana's track record of poor high school QB recruiting then bring in more then one per year

shew, so now we're at the point where we start condemning current players to prop up WV boys who weren't good enough. I thought it'd take at least 3 pages to get here.

shew, so now we're at the point where we start condemning current players to prop up WV boys who weren't good enough. I thought it'd take at least 3 pages to get here.
Im not condemning anyone, the poster above said maybe Lowe need to pick a sport and considering Dana's history we don't know if he works out

Im not condemning anyone, the poster above said maybe Lowe need to pick a sport and considering Dana's history we don't know if he works out

doesn't that also apply to Bagent in your hypothetical "if we had him" too?

Our QB depth at signing day last Feb:

RS Sr Grier
RS Jr Chugunov
RS So Allison
RS So Israel
signee - Trey Lowe

Now, we have for next season Allison and Lowe and are looking into the JUCO market or a grad transfer to add competition for the starting spot this spring.

Look, I see your point and going to prep school makes a lot of sense. There has been several people in this thread agree with you Tyson should have gotten an offer from WVU or Marshall but he didn't. He is only 17 years, he has grown, and matured in just 12 months. Lots of people will be hearing his name in the future. Again, Keaton, go watch him play

btw, The best example of a kid going to prep school as a QB was Rasheed Marshall

doesn't that also apply to Bagent in your hypothetical "if we had him" too?

Our QB depth at signing day last Feb:

RS Sr Grier
RS Jr Chugunov
RS So Allison
RS So Israel
signee - Trey Lowe

Now, we have for next season Allison and Lowe and are looking into the JUCO market or a grad transfer to add competition for the starting spot this spring.
Keaton, Lets hope Lowe works out but Dana has not produced a high school QB yet as a starter.

Keaton, Lets hope Lowe works out but Dana has not produced a high school QB yet as a starter.

Has he needed to? He's knocked it out of the park with transfers, has he not?

Trickett was a top 10 QB before his concussion
Howard won 10 games
Grier is Grier.

Brief history would say Dana is set up with Jack Allison to succeed next season

As I type this, one of our grad transfer targets just announced he's leaving Clemson

Has he needed to? He's knocked it out of the park with transfers, has he not?

Trickett was a top 10 QB before his concussion
Howard won 10 games
Grier is Grier.

Brief history would say Dana is set up with Jack Allison to succeed next season

As I type this, one of our grad transfer targets just announced he's leaving Clemson
Great!

If Tyson Bagent was from North Carolina............... was still 17 years old........... and was still putting up the same stats at Shepherd right now.

Would this thread exist? If not, then that is the subjectivity I'm talking about here.

If Tyson Bagent was from North Carolina............... was still 17 years old........... and was still putting up the same stats at Shepherd right now.

Would this thread exist? If not, then that is the subjectivity I'm talking about here.
I don't care about North Carolina.....I know he can still get to the NFL from Shepherd so we will just have to wait and see.

I don't care about North Carolina.....I know he can still get to the NFL from Shepherd so we will just have to wait and see.

ok, so you only made this thread because he's a WV boy............... not because there's a player out there that you thought could help WVU

just wanted you to admit that.

ok, so you only made this thread because he's a WV boy............... not because there's a player out there that you thought could help WVU

just wanted you to admit that.
Im talking about a WV kid that could have helped WVU...imo

Im talking about a WV kid that could have helped WVU...imo

are you though? Or do you just WANT a WV kid to be part of WVU's roster?

You said the same stuff about Gage Shaeffer a few seasons ago too. And I'm not playing a "gotcha" card here, I'm just noting that you have at times been pretty biased in what or who you think would help WVU

Bagent is where he belongs........... Division 2. He held no FBS offers out of HS. It is far better to be a good or great D2 QB than it is to be a D1 benchwarmer

are you though? Or do you just WANT a WV kid to be part of WVU's roster?

You said the same stuff about Gage Shaeffer a few seasons ago too. And I'm not playing a "gotcha" card here, I'm just noting that you have at times been pretty biased in what or who you think would help WVU

The only thing I said about Gage Shaffer is at the time WVU did not even vet the kid......vetting a kid and saying no is one thing but not even taking the time is total BS and Dana and company did a better of job of knowing who was out there and at least taking a look after Gage....this issue ended up on Ollie's desk.

The only thing I said about Gage Shaffer is at the time WVU did not even vet the kid......vetting a kid and saying no is one thing but not even taking the time is total BS and Dana and company did a better of job of knowing who was out there and at least taking a look after Gage....this issue ended up on Ollie's desk.

but you were proven wrong about Schaeffer not being vetted, which I personally pointed out........ WVU evaluated him, and he stated in interviews he was in communication with WVU.

And considering Schaeffer lasted about 3 seconds at Maryland for a coach who was fired..... I'd say Dana was on point with that one too.

June 22, 2014 - Gage Schaeffer attends WVU Elite Camp

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Several-Players-Leaving-Maryland-Football-Program-51058310

"Heading into yesterday's camp, Shaffer had picked up interest from West Virginia, James Madison and Delaware. Once he picked up the offer - which admittedly came as a surprise to him as well - he talked things over with his father. Before they could even get to their next destination, both realized this was too good of an opportunity to pass up."

https://maryland.rivals.com/news/wv-qb-commits

but you were proven wrong about Schaeffer not being vetted, which I personally pointed out........ WVU evaluated him, and he stated in interviews he was in communication with WVU.

And considering Schaeffer lasted about 3 seconds at Maryland for a coach who was fired..... I'd say Dana was on point with that one too.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Several-Players-Leaving-Maryland-Football-Program-51058310
well, it was after Maryland offered because I spoke with someone from the High school.

well, it was after Maryland offered because I spoke with someone from the High school.

nope. WVU was recruiting him, by his own words, before he went to Maryland and verballed. The WVU camp was after this, but WVU was already in contact.

See, this is the subjectivity I was referring to.................. you are rewriting actual events to make WV kids look better

Keaton,

Dana has not recruited a high school QB that has developed into a starter yet at WVU, so pounding you chest over this does little good. You can say it does not matter because of our transfers but Dana will not get a big time job until he learns how to evaluate and develop QB's. Talk about wasting schalorships then why is William Crest still on our team? I would take a WV kid any day of week and try to develop him over leaving kids like Crest on the team

"Dana has not recruited a high school QB that has developed into a starter yet at WVU"

Because he's done such a good job at recruiting transfers who came in and beat them out....

Dana's HS QBs:

Paul Millard - signed solely for depth. When Dana got here, we had 1 qb - Geno
Ford Childress - got injured after 1 game, drank himself out of school (not Dana's fault)
Rawlins - transferred out when he knocked up his HS gf (not Dana's fault)
Crest - bust/ beat out by transfers Trickett and Howard
Chugunov - beat out by transfers Howard and Grier
Sills - moved to WR, NFL-bound
Saunders - 4 star ESPN rated QB, career-ending injury. Was beating our Chugs for 2nd behind Grier
Trey Lowe - we will see

Dana has rolled with a LOT of punches when it comes to his HS QB recruits, and pulled it off with the help of JUCO and transfer additions.

the argument of "yea but why not?" has no purpose here........ because WVU has been fielding great QBs regardless of whether they were HS recruits, JUCOs or transfers....

the goal isn't to JUST sign good HS recruits, it's to sign the best QBs you can

Last edited:
nope. WVU was recruiting him, by his own words, before he went to Maryland and verballed. The WVU camp was after this, but WVU was already in contact.

Is this what Dana will say when he goes in to interview for a new job! Big-time alums at other schools don't want excuses. You can talk all you want about Gage Shaffer but again don't be bragging on Dana for not recruiting a kid that went to MD because that coach could also say something like, "Gage Shaffer was a great kid with a ton of up side but he got into some off the field issues and decided to transfer and focus on his degree."

Did some West Virginia kid steal your girl friend? I have never seen a WVU fan who is so down on all things West Virginia. At least you are consistent.

Did some West Virginia kid steal your girl friend? I have never seen a WVU fan who is so down on all things West Virginia. At least you are consistent.

where have I been "down" about anyone or anything WVU-related in this thread?

the player in question was thoroughly vetted by many P5 schools including WVU......... as well as many G5 schools.......... and no one offered.

that's not "down," that is just a fact.

Stop building up defenses around everything WV-related. It comes off as desperate.

"Dana has not recruited a high school QB that has developed into a starter yet at WVU"

Because he's done such a good job at recruiting transfers who came in and beat them out....

Dana's HS QBs:

Paul Millard - signed solely for depth. When Dana got here, we had 1 qb - Geno
Ford Childress - got injured after 1 game, drank himself out of school (not Dana's fault)
Rawlins - transferred out when he knocked up his HS gf (not Dana's fault)
Crest - bust/ beat out by transfers Trickett and Howard
Chugunov - beat out by transfers Howard and Grier
Sills - moved to WR, NFL-bound
Saunders - 4 star ESPN rated QB, career-ending injury. Was beating our Chugs for 2nd behind Grier
Trey Lowe - we will see

Dana has rolled with a LOT of punches when it comes to his HS QB recruits, and pulled it off with the help of JUCO and transfer additions.

the argument of "yea but why not?" has no purpose here........ because WVU has been fielding great QBs regardless of whether they were HS recruits, JUCOs or transfers....

the goal isn't to JUST sign good HS recruits, it's to sign the best QBs you can
So is this what Dana use's when interviewing for a new job when ask why he has never developed a QB. Its also the same the old MD coach can say, "Gage Shaffer was a big tall kid with a rocket for an arm, He had tons of up side but he had some off field issues and gave up football for getting a degree."

where have I been "down" about anyone or anything WVU-related in this thread?

the player in question was thoroughly vetted by many P5 schools including WVU......... as well as many G5 schools.......... and no one offered.

that's not "down," that is just a fact.

Stop building up defenses around everything WV-related. It comes off as desperate.
Its hard to defend not taking Shaffer or Bagent when you take Saunders, Isreal, and Chugs.

Its hard to defend not taking Shaffer or Bagent when you take Saunders, Isreal, and Chugs.

no it isn't.............. at all.

Number of division 1 offers between Schafer and Bagent combined = 1

Saunders was a 4-star ESPN QB recruit with many D1 offers........ Chugs had D1 offers all over the place........ Israel the same.

you're using hindsight to say "Yea, but........ they didn't turn out, so why not our boys?"

"So is this what Dana use's when interviewing for a new job when ask why he has never developed a QB"

No, Dana would say (in this BS hypothetical):

"Hey, look at the developments I made in my QBs between year 1 and year 2 in my system. Geno. Clint. Skyler. Grier........ all big time improvement."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT