ADVERTISEMENT

Friend from EP was discussing Tyrson Bagent...

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2002
...and he has been named MEC player of the week two of the three games he has played and the other game he passed for over 500 yards. He also is in the Top 10 in the country in several areas. This person also thinks he will be playing at a D1 school before it finishes at Shepherd. Any word from our coaches about this kid? I think we missed on this one.

36/56 for 518 with 3 TDs, 3 INTs and 3 sacks............... against Notre Dame College (in a loss)

his 3-game season stats to date: 91/137 (66%) for 1,214 yards. 9 yards per attempts average. 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 2 Fumbles. 1 rushing TD with a 2.6 yard/run average

he's attempting 46 passes a game..........

36/56 for 518 with 3 TDs, 3 INTs and 3 sacks............... against Notre Dame College (in a loss)

his 3-game season stats to date: 91/137 (66%) for 1,214 yards. 9 yards per attempts average. 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 2 Fumbles. 1 rushing TD with a 2.6 yard/run average

he's attempting 46 passes a game..........
I understand he has had many dropped passes by his wideouts....I understand a P5 school has already used the grapevine to get word back to Bagent to see if he wants to transfer...being only 17 years old seems to be the big draw because he is still just so young.

He's doing good at the D2 level but that doesn't translate to D1 success. People don't understand how good you have to be in order to be a standout at D1. I can tell you that I've played against several D1 athletes in MD and none of them went on to be standouts. Schools like UVA, UNC and Clemson took them and you never heard anything from them again....

this info coming from that "lawyer friend in Charleston" again? His track record isn't too hot.

in all seriousness, this kid was vetted at length by our coaches for 2018............. we chose Trey Lowe.

Last edited:
this info coming from that "lawyer friend in Charleston" again? His track record isn't too hot.

in all seriousness, this kid was vetted at length by our coaches for 2018............. we chose Trey Lowe.
Go watch him play when he is at UC and tell me what you think...at 17 years old he should have gone to prep school. These teams he is playing is no better then some of the prep school competition....what do you think if these were prep school numbers?

Go watch him play when he is at UC and tell me what you think...at 17 years old he should have gone to prep school. These teams he is playing is no better then some of the prep school competition....what do you think if these were prep school numbers?

why are you trying to sell this kid? Just because he's a WV kid?

We made our call in 2018 and got a fantastic QB prospect (with actual D1 offers including many P5) and we have our targets for 2019. Who knows? This kid may end up being one of them as a transfer......... We are going to take 2 QBs likely, one being a transfer.

But WVU needs to aim much higher than a D2 transfer. And this kid needs to realize that the grass isn't greener for 99% of players in his position

We made our call in 2018 and got a fantastic QB prospect (with actual D1 offers including many P5) and we have our targets for 2019. Who knows? This kid may end up being one of them as a transfer......... We are going to take 2 QBs likely, one being a transfer.

But WVU needs to aim much higher than a D2 transfer. And this kid needs to realize that the grass isn't greener for 99% of players in his position
I spoke to someone in Shepherds athletic program last week about this kid, and they are shocked Bagent fell between the cracks to them. He said with a redshirt year, another develop year, and in the right offense he is a two or three starter at the MAC, AAC, CUSA level. He thought the jury was still out on if he could play at the P5 level at this point but as was mentioned the X factor is he is only 17 years old. So, Im not saying he was a WVU miss, but there is no doubt this kid has everyone at Shepherd buzzing about the future.

Only time will tell if it really was a WVU miss, but as one person mentioned to me at last weeks game is he would not trade Bagent for Chugs. I kind of agree

I want to comment, but would be a fool doing so, without first gaining some additional insight from WVPride304.

I want to comment, but would be a fool doing so, without first gaining some additional insight from WVPride304.
The thing about this kid is NO ONE and I mean NO ONE will out work this guy. He is in the weight room, film room, field throwing, and class room 24/7(I think he does take some time to get some booty). He is a 4.0 student and I understand the pre-season speech he gave to the entire team was something from Remember The Titans from a motivational stand point(which proved his leadership skills).

Im just a little surprised we didn't take a chance on him considering we took no QB's in last years class, or sent him to prep school for a year to mature(which would have been the smart way to go).

WVU or Marshall should have offered. He’s good enough. I look for him to transfer up. He’s D1. He’s better than some power 5 QBs right now. He should have done a prep year to get better offers cause the talent is there. He’s good. He’s too good for D2.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllEers6
WVU or Marshall should have offered. He’s good enough. I look for him to transfer up. He’s D1. He’s better than some power 5 QBs right now. He should have done a prep year to get better offers cause the talent is there. He’s good. He’s too good for D2.
Tyson was a 100% miss by Doc. Im not sure what he is looking at or even if he knows how to evaluate talent. I think Doc bases his decisions on if another team has offered. Im just glad Doc is not at WVU because if you paying attention he is not really recruiting WV

Last edited:
Doc got Spring Valley star Owen Porter, Mookie Collier, Grant Wells and several others and found success with walkon Chase Hancock but he too needs to step it up recruiting good WV kids. Doc should be giving every WVU leftover a shot. Or any kid that WVU overlooked or didn’t recruit well.

Marshall needs to get back to recruiting and evaluating good WV kids. Elijah Bell would have jumped to Huntington if Marshall offered full ride. Bell should have been evaluated better by both WVU and Marshall. Kid was a freak at Wheeling Park. He now is a legit NFL prospect at N.C. A&T. Imagine him and Tyree Brady at Marshall together or him added to WVU. He could have also been a top safety. Kid is a baller. Poor evaluation on Marshall and WVU part.

Wheeling Park should produce more than what they do considering Wheeling is a bigger town and Wheeling Park is a big school. Now that they recently got better youth sports programs I expect Wheeling to start producing more in next few years.

Last edited:
Isaiah Green is current Marshall starting QB and is only a redshirt freshmen. He looks pretty darn good so far and should get a lot better by next year. By the time anybody would transfer to Marshall and be eligible Green will be a veteran star QB it appears.

Doc should recruit QB Connor Neal of Fairmont Senior. He is going to be a steal. Kid can go through progressions like a experienced D1 passer already. After the playoffs and state title vs Bluefield I think Neal will get lots of late D1 offers.

Grant Wells is coming at QB from GW in Charleston, WV. He will need redshirted which will be good for him and provide separation from Green. Wells could end up being a steal down the road.

Also how tall do you thing Tyson Bagent really is? I though more 6-1 to 6-2. They list him at 6-3. ????? Is he still growing. At 17 he has upside being younger like that. He will transfer up no doubt. High ceiling kid with a incredible work ethic. Super smart as well.

It was two years ago we just took a juco that didn't pan out. your right!

Trey Lowe was a 2018 QB recruit

Just like Bagent

And two years ago, we got Jack Allison and took that JUCO QB as insurance after Cody Saunders had a career ending injury

Trey Lowe seems like he could have potential but Dana has struggled with high school QB recruits. Lowe needs to drop baseball if he wants to start at QB at WVU.

Trey Lowe was a 2018 QB recruit

Just like Bagent

And two years ago, we got Jack Allison and took that JUCO QB as insurance after Cody Saunders had a career ending injury
Its like someone told me last week......if we could offer Saunders, Chugs, and Isreal then there is no reason not to at least place Bagent at a prep school or juco and then offer. The kid is only 17! Bagent has what is called the "Human Factor" which is what made Justin Arndt, Casey Vance, Jovanni Stewart, Darwin Cook, and others great players because they just will themselves to be good players.

Doc got Spring Valley star Owen Porter, Mookie Collier, Grant Wells and several others and found success with walkon Chase Hancock but he too needs to step it up recruiting good WV kids. Doc should be giving every WVU leftover a shot. Or any kid that WVU overlooked or didn’t recruit well.

Marshall needs to get back to recruiting and evaluating good WV kids. Elijah Bell would have jumped to Huntington if Marshall offered full ride. Bell should have been evaluated better by both WVU and Marshall. Kid was a freak at Wheeling Park. He now is a legit NFL prospect at N.C. A&T. Imagine him and Tyree Brady at Marshall together or him added to WVU. He could have also been a top safety. Kid is a baller. Poor evaluation on Marshall and WVU part.

Wheeling Park should produce more than what they do considering Wheeling is a bigger town and Wheeling Park is a big school. Now that they recently got better youth sports programs I expect Wheeling to start producing more in next few years.
WV is an after thought for Doc and almost seems like a chore to look at WV kids. How big is the Bell kid? btw, it seems the Mitchell kid left the team at Marshall.

That's what we need is another bench warmer taking a scholarship away..There were no interests from anyone. Doesn't look that impressive. Kid is a D-2 and probably should drop to D3. Kid from GW, Grant Wells is a little better. WVU has looked at Wells, possibly a walk on. Two offers for Wells Charlotte and Marshmallow.

Isaiah Green is current Marshall starting QB and is only a redshirt freshmen. He looks pretty darn good so far and should get a lot better by next year. By the time anybody would transfer to Marshall and be eligible Green will be a veteran star QB it appears.

Doc should recruit QB Connor Neal of Fairmont Senior. He is going to be a steal. Kid can go through progressions like a experienced D1 passer already. After the playoffs and state title vs Bluefield I think Neal will get lots of late D1 offers.

Grant Wells is coming at QB from GW in Charleston, WV. He will need redshirted which will be good for him and provide separation from Green. Wells could end up being a steal down the road.

Also how tall do you thing Tyson Bagent really is? I though more 6-1 to 6-2. They list him at 6-3. ????? Is he still growing. At 17 he has upside being younger like that. He will transfer up no doubt. High ceiling kid with a incredible work ethic. Super smart as well.
He is 6-2 and a half and weighs 215

That's what we need is another bench warmer taking a scholarship away..There were no interests from anyone. Doesn't look that impressive. Kid is a D-2 and probably should drop to D3. Kid from GW, Grant Wells is a little better. WVU has looked at Wells, possibly a walk on. Two offers for Wells Charlotte and Marshmallow.
Im not saying Bagent is a miss for WVU yet but if he keeps getting better this fast then its possible.

Another P5 conference school has already starting smelling around.....the kid is completing 66% of his passes with about 15 drops in his first three games....the competition at prep school is not that much better so if he was putting up these numbers at prep school then what kind of offers would he be getting?

Another P5 conference school has already starting smelling around.....the kid is completing 66% of his passes with about 15 drops in his first three games....the competition at prep school is not that much better so if he was putting up these numbers at prep school then what kind of offers would he be getting?

We will have to agree to disagree.

Why no interest from a Pitt team that sucks, or Ohio U, Youngstown, Akron or any FBS and FCS school? There is a reason.
He fell between the cracks, he has grown, and gotten bigger and stronger.....I don't know why but if you go to a game you can tell he is better then anyone on the field and he is only 17.

True story, after his first game several Shepherd fans were at rest area on the way home from the game in Ohio and the game officials were also there and they ask about Shepherds QB and how impressed they were of him....they ask if he was a senior and when the officials found out he was only a 17 year freshman playing in his first game they were beyond shocked. This is the response you get everywhere after seeing him play. They ask if he was a D1 transfer.

Its like someone told me last week......if we could offer Saunders, Chugs, and Isreal then there is no reason not to at least place Bagent at a prep school or juco and then offer. The kid is only 17! Bagent has what is called the "Human Factor" which is what made Justin Arndt, Casey Vance, Jovanni Stewart, Darwin Cook, and others great players because they just will themselves to be good players.

lol "He's a gamer!"

Saunders was an ESPN 4-star recruit..... he'd be competing for the starting job next season if he wasn't hurt and retired
Israel................. again.................. was added after Saunders' retirement and during the time William Crest left the team (Spring 2017). He was an insurance policy and was never destined to play QB here. We were going to turn him into a WR once we got Allison and inked Trey Lowe.

You're ignoring context here simply because the kid is from WV.

Bagent was a 2018 QB............ so was Trey Lowe. We signed the much better option.

Saying "Well, we done signed bad QBs before, so why not sign another one?" is not a legitimate argument.

"But a P5 is smellin around!".................. and Chris Chugunov transferred to Ohio St. Would you want him back? That's more than "smellin"

lol "He's a gamer!"

Saunders was an ESPN 4-star recruit..... he'd be competing for the starting job next season if he wasn't hurt and retired
Israel................. again.................. was added after Saunders' retirement and during the time William Crest left the team (Spring 2017). He was an insurance policy and was never destined to play QB here. We were going to turn him into a WR once we got Allison and inked Trey Lowe.

Honestly, I would like your opinion. Go check him out the next time he is close to you. I think what will jump out at you is just how accurate his passes are and how cool he is for being that young. In all fairness, Tyson was about an inch shorter, 10 lbs less, and he was running an upper 4.8 40 which is now a 4.7. Again, I don't think he is a WVU miss but Marshall sure did screw that one up(and this discussion is not going away because he is only a freshman and he is working hard to get get better).

BTW, lets not re-discuss all of Dana's misses at the QB position.

lol "He's a gamer!"

Bagent was a 2018 QB............ so was Trey Lowe. We signed the much better option.

Saying "Well, we done signed bad QBs before, so why not sign another one?" is not a legitimate argument.

"But a P5 is smellin around!".................. and Chris Chugunov transferred to Ohio St. Would you want him back? That's more than "smellin"
Chugs will never play at OSU

lol, im sure as a walkon

nope.

and I'm not arguing that Chugunov is good............ but the fact that he went from one P5 to another, even as bad as he performed, means that trying to justify a D2 kid's ability by saying "there's a P5 smellin around" means nothing .....

nope.

and I'm not arguing that Chugunov is good............ but the fact that he went from one P5 to another, even as bad as he performed, means that trying to justify a D2 kid's ability by saying "there's a P5 smellin around" means nothing .....
Im not saying a P5 school is smelling around and to give Chugs a full ride is just stupid. The only thing Im saying is go see him play for yourself.

Im not saying a P5 school is smelling around and to give Chugs a full ride is just stupid. The only thing Im saying is go see him play for yourself.

Chugs does not show has having a full ride from OSU's site

Ohio State Scholarship Distribution: 2018-19
Pos. Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior
QB

Matthew Baldwin

Tate Martell

Dwayne Haskins

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT