ADVERTISEMENT

Frazier update

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
That means second-round draft pick Zach Frazier of WVU becomes the first-team center. In two preseason games, he's made 83 snaps and received the coaching staff's approval.

"I don't know that any of it has been surprising," said Mike Tomlin. "Just the close proximity to Morgantown and the relationships that we have there, he is as advertised. He's mature beyond his football years. He's highly competitive. He's got really good leverage. Obviously, there's a lot of growth ahead of him, but he's got a little time to do it, and so we'll just keep working day by day."

"You're going to ask your centers to do a lot," said offensive coordinator Arthur Smith. "But I would say of any rookie he's probably the most prepped, and we thought that when we drafted him. Since he's been in this building, he's been as advertised."

Frazier was a four-year starter at WVU and honed his leverage skills as a four-time West Virginia state high school heavyweight wrestling champ. If he stays healthy, Frazier will become the third rookie to start an opener at center for the Steelers in the last 70 years. Maurkice Pouncey, 21 in 2010, was the first in 56 years. Eleven years later, 22-year-old rookie Kendrick Green started the 2021 opener. The Steelers won both openers.

"The thing about center is it really just depends who you're playing next to," said right guard James Daniels. "Whenever you're a rookie and you have guys next to you who are doing their best to make the game easy for you, I think that's very helpful. So I'm not worried about Zach at all."

Daniels talked about Frazier's assets.

"Right now, Zach is doing a phenomenal job making the calls," Daniels said. "He always shows up. He works hard. He's not worrying about anything else. It seems like he's only worrying about football, so when he gets here he's always asking questions, always dialed in, trying to learn more. So I'm really excited to see him play."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.