ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sports: ESPN and FOX angry with Big 12 Expansion

Seems to me that to take the extra cash for the four teams up to the mid 2020's is not
a bad deal. No telling what the market will bear then AND the Big 12 will have passed out
a lot of cash to its members.

Seems to me that to take the extra cash for the four teams up to the mid 2020's is not
a bad deal. No telling what the market will bear then AND the Big 12 will have passed out

The thing is though, it isn't extra cash. There is only extra cash if the new schools don't get full shares. To get extra cash, you have to keep the new schools in partial shares in perpetuity, or else the extra cash dries up. It's not a long-term solution.

Great move by Texas and Oklahoma if they steal money from the networks then bolt to other conferences. Actually if they feel like they are on the move its an obvious business decision to steal the money then bolt. The reason why we are reading about it is that the networks know money and they want that GOR extended if Big12 expands so that they are not stuck with a TV deal with a joke conference without the only two legitimate brand names. The shots across the Texas/Oklahoma bow are warnings not to steal cash and bolt. This to me is good news for the Big12. They have a big brother(Networks) that will never be bully. Ever! Networks are bigger, tougher and more savvy than those two mercenary Universities. Texas is open about their arrogance and selfishness. Oklahoma is your basic snake in the grass. I'm thinking both sides have leverage. Updated prediction......Network negotiates a good deal for Big12 with 2 more universities added through expansion. Florida school and BYU. GOR extended. No Big12 network(because of what I said weeks ago when an inside source told me ACC network was coming soon. Which BTW those that beat me up I except your apologies little people). Big12 wins for obvious reasons. Network limits losing dead money. So when Buck and the resident morons act like they know what they're talking about remember to read between the lines of my posts when I qualify what I hear versus what my opinion is. I always qualify. I'm talking about my favorite chick on this site not just buck and his legion of village idiots.

The thing is though, it isn't extra cash. There is only extra cash if the new schools don't get full shares. To get extra cash, you have to keep the new schools in partial shares in perpetuity, or else the extra cash dries up. It's not a long-term solution.

That's good, because this isn't looking like a long term conference.

According to major news sources expansion has moved from possible to how many and specifically who. The conference and the networks are negotiating terms.

In 2025 or BEFORE, the BIG 12 will get a new tv deal. So either they'll get more money NOW plus a phase in, or they'll expand, get pro rata and then get MORE when they get their next tv deal.

Gee, the Big 12 expansion/TV sounds a lot like "As the World Turns" soap opera. WVU is almost a bystander in this because Texas and Oklahoma call the tunes. But we'll take the $30 million a year (plus $8 million in 3rd tier rights) for as long as it lasts. Sure better than the $200K Marshall will be getting from C-USA. I'll just enjoy Texas or Oklahoma at Mountaineer Field every year till the Big 12 implodes, if it does. I got more important things to fret over, like my golf game.

Reactions: NCNEER
In 2025 or BEFORE, the BIG 12 will get a new tv deal. So either they'll get more money NOW plus a phase in, or they'll expand, get pro rata and then get MORE when they get their next tv deal.

If the Big 12 doesn't get a new contract before the current one expires, then no, that's not more money. If they just wait for the current one to expire, they could do that without expanding. Keeping the pro rata money is not getting "more." That's just lowballing the new schools.

I don't blame Espn and Fox for not being happy about Big 12 expansion considering the candidates that are available. If I where them i wouldn't want to pay more money for adding table scraps either. There is a reason why the teams that are available are not members of a power five conference now. It will be unlikely that any new additions will guarantee any long term stability.

I don't blame Espn and Fox for not being happy about Big 12 expansion considering the candidates that are available. If I where them i wouldn't want to pay more money for adding table scraps either. There is a reason why the teams that are available are not members of a power five conference now. It will be unlikely that any new additions will guarantee any long term stability.

It's all about who is in the driver's seat. TV wants to dictate the teams to max out their advertising $$ while conferences are trying to at least give the appearance of academics over the $$.
Problem is you have people like Swofford who only care about their ego.

bottom feeder expansion. ..
doesn't like a good business model

Bottom feeders? What teams are you looking at? BYU is considered a P5 team for most conference scheduling and compares very well in every metric with current Big 12 teams, leading in some.

Then there's #8 Houston in the final AP poll from 2015. Four wins against ranked teams including a smackdown of FSU and a 13-1 record.

There are about 20 true bottom feeders in P5 football and we all know who they are. As an example of some of the teams available, could these two candidates for expansion compete with those 20?

They would smash them, beat a majority of the rest and finish in the upper tiers of every P5 conference right now.

Bottom feeders? How arrogant and ill informed.

bottom feeder expansion. ..
doesn't like a good business model

It's not a good long-term model. The problem is that no one at this point is looking at the B12 as a long term conference.

The only way this is a long term success is if UCF is in the mix. At least then they can say they are investing in the future. UCF + 10 years in the B12 > UMiami and likely = UF.

Reactions: Rootmaster
So, the sports networks (in an era of falling cable subscriptions and rising costs) give the Big10 and ACC huge dollar contracts and the frills etc. And now, when the Big 12-2=10 wants to improve its future position pleads poor and declares that no one is good enough for additions. And to top it off, some WVU fans apparently agree!

Rutgers and Maryland to the Big10 and Louisville and Boston College (for example) to the ACC are just fine? Cincinnati and Houston and BYU are certainly at the same level.

Networks just want to get out of the deal they already signed with the Big 12-2=10...bottom line.

If the networks push the conference to back away at the last second from expansion then the conference is gone at the end of this current media deal. Ok and Tx gone and the rest of us slip into non power territory. And the networks save a ton of money...which they can then give to the remaining four P5 groups. Sad.

I'll keep repeating this. WVU's athletic future hinges on the conference expanding and securing markets for a new media deal in the future. We don't have the state population, the national success history, or the political clout to force our way anywhere. Don't get caught up in Mountaineer Nation talk and boasts...everyone says that lol. Networks pushing back on conference expansion is buyers remorse. They are looking for a better, lower cost deal, for themselves.

As I have said in another post...if the collusion between the elite football schools and the networks continue...look for a large bunch of college Presidents going down the anti-trust and similar avenues to even the field a bit.

Too much money and too many hands out.

Well stated, Rootmaster. This whole idea of the broadcasters 'pushing back' is nothing more than a blowhard with a magaphone going up against an M1 tank.

If Bowlsby and the conference presidents have any balls they will now give the poor little broadcasters 48 hours notice that they are prepared to invite whichever four teams they choose unless ESPN/FoxSports can offer a compelling financial reason to stop at two.

Reactions: Krit
So now the truth comes out and it makes sense. ESPN is all against expansion because they have AAC broadcast rights.

Fox is all for expansion in the East. WVU is the only team they can broadcast without paying ESPN. The conference does get cheapened, but it's ESPN's AAC!

You seem consumed with a fascination that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving.

Not at all. You missed the thread memo pal. The Big12 may expand for a big paycheck. And if a GOR extension is not achieved there is trouble on the horizon. Get it? That would be Texas and/or Oklahoma causing it! Glad I could help ha catch up.

So, the sports networks (in an era of falling cable subscriptions and rising costs) give the Big10 and ACC huge dollar contracts and the frills etc. And now, when the Big 12-2=10 wants to improve its future position pleads poor and declares that no one is good enough for additions. And to top it off, some WVU fans apparently agree!

Rutgers and Maryland to the Big10 and Louisville and Boston College (for example) to the ACC are just fine? Cincinnati and Houston and BYU are certainly at the same level.

Networks just want to get out of the deal they already signed with the Big 12-2=10...bottom line.

If the networks push the conference to back away at the last second from expansion then the conference is gone at the end of this current media deal. Ok and Tx gone and the rest of us slip into non power territory. And the networks save a ton of money...which they can then give to the remaining four P5 groups. Sad.

I'll keep repeating this. WVU's athletic future hinges on the conference expanding and securing markets for a new media deal in the future. We don't have the state population, the national success history, or the political clout to force our way anywhere. Don't get caught up in Mountaineer Nation talk and boasts...everyone says that lol. Networks pushing back on conference expansion is buyers remorse. They are looking for a better, lower cost deal, for themselves.

As I have said in another post...if the collusion between the elite football schools and the networks continue...look for a large bunch of college Presidents going down the anti-trust and similar avenues to even the field a bit.

Too much money and too many hands out.

We can post til our fingers fall off. The only thing that will make the Big12 stable is a GOR extension. If Texas and Oklahoma show leadership and adds two teams that extend the footprint all is well. My vote would be South Florida and Central Florida. If Big12 picks four I think they should add Cinci and BYU.

Greg...since I live within easy, easy driving distance of either campus I would love it. However,chances are slim to slimmer to nil.

Rootmaster, since someone at ESPN decided to anonymously show their ass and cause the publicizing of the conflicting interests with Fox that could change.

I would imagine Fox would love to have UCF in the conference with all of those potential viewers. UCF was ranked a couple of years ago and will be again. We don't know at this point.

Michael...have noticed that you list Rock Hill as your hangout. Rock Hill and the interstate...scene of my last traffic violation. Tried using your name but that just increased the number of charges!

Greg...since I live within easy, easy driving distance of either campus I would love it. However,chances are slim to slimmer to nil.

I know and hear ya but just my opinion on what footprint serves the Big12 and WVU best is Florida. Smarter guys than me will make the right call!

The TLN is upsetting the apple cart as well. Considering ESPN is supporting the longhorn network with a contract of their own. ESPN would have to pay Texas extra. I am sure ESPN does not want to pay Texas twice. ESPN also can not afford to make a Big 12 Network out of the TLN (as if Texas wants to do that, right) as they already signed a deal with ACC. Seems as if Fox has the upper hand. Yes the TLN is a bull horn in the side of for ESPN.

Lot of stuff is in play here. It could get messy.

i think b12 needs to take a deep breath, hold
any action till next summer. ..

unless UNLESS, a major power 5 program falls in their laps...

it's obvious everyone knows expansion is fruitless w bottom feeders like the ACC, did

scared b12 disolves?
live with it, but think Texas Oklahoma stays

There's nothing for the BIG 12 to wait for. They need to ensure playoff access for their top team, and they need to ensure their revenues keep pace with their peers. They need to create potential for better revenues in the future.

This is no different than what every other conference has done.

There are no P5 schools available and anyone preaching "wait for quote - better options- unquote- is trying to fool people into committing suicide. Wait so other leagues can try to poach the BIg 12?

NO.

The best location for all current members is in the BIG 12 and the conference will be strengthened with expansion. Since the league has contracts in place everything else is a bluff or blackmail. The league isn't likely going to sit back and do nothing so ESPN or FOX can devalue most members and remove them from major college athletics while the Dukes, Wakes, Pitts, Vanderbilts, Kentuckys, Mississppi states. Missourians, NC States, Syracuse, BCS, Minnesotas, Iowas, Illinois, Wazzous, Arizonas, Orgons States, etc etc prosper off their backs.

The b12 top football team
will make
final 4, in football terms...

don't be scared

take care of business on the field

Some people either intentionally do t get it or just arent u derstanding the situation.

The other conferences have advantages in making the playoffs. Its been studied and factually determined that with a larger conference the ability of the league to reach playoffs will grow significantly.

No question remains- bigger is better. That ebate is over- therefore its imperative the conference expands. And luckily the leaders and partners agreed to increases of pro rata shares written legally into contracts.

So the BIg 12 is doing nothing wrong by expanding and demanding pro rata shares for the new candidates.

If media partners try to breK these legL contracts or punish the BIG 12 because they must honor them- there are other networks and media that undoubtedly would like to get a power conferences media rights in THEIR networks.

The BIg 12 has no choice but to expand and grow its rights fees and chances for success- otherwise the conference becomes vulnerable to poaching.

Reactions: Rootmaster
letd summarize. ..
oh my god, Penn State left...

oh know,
Miami, Boston College VaTech departed

where is Pitt and Syracuse. ...

just win....winning cures

Winning is great. You cant win in todays game without resources like everyone else has

if we'd had beat Notre Dame in the Fiesta
we probably would not be discussing this, certainly not as much..

fast fwd today, win...just win baby

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT