ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Pulling out of B12 FB Championship Game

FOX owns the B1G network. They are trying to put leverage on Oklahoma and Texas to leave the Big XII and join the B1G.
This is their first step. The B1G and PAC 12 championship game had lower ratings. Let them have those games. It is their loss.

Plus FOX does a horrible job at CFB. They are minor leagues compared to ESPN/FOX.
Truthfully I cannot stand when the games are on FOX.

The B1G and PAC 12 championship game had lower ratings.
SEC championship game had far and away the highest ratings. B1G championship was 3rd in ratings, finishing not far behind the Big 12 game. Let's face it, college football is pretty much a ratings king in the south. Northeast, and pacific coast are tuning out, as is a good chunk of the midwest (except for Ohio State, ND, and Michigan). The big issue most of these conference championship games are having, is the fact that you're not seeing the two best teams in a given conference playing in the championship game. Look at the B1G for instance. B1G East is so much better than the B1G West, that you end up having the best team go up against arguably the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. Who wants to tune in to watch Ohio State play Northwestern? Even the one time they had the two best teams facing off, Ohio State vs Wisconsin, you're not going to get a really large rating, because, well, it's Wisconsin. ACC game is usually a lop-sided affair every year, and I don't even think the Pac 12 game even had the arguably the best team in the conference making the title game. Hopefully, the B1G will go back to having a single division, and go with the two best teams.

SEC championship game had far and away the highest ratings. B1G championship was 3rd in ratings, finishing not far behind the Big 12 game. Let's face it, college football is pretty much a ratings king in the south. Northeast, and pacific coast are tuning out, as is a good chunk of the midwest (except for Ohio State, ND, and Michigan). The big issue most of these conference championship games are having, is the fact that you're not seeing the two best teams in a given conference playing in the championship game. Look at the B1G for instance. B1G East is so much better than the B1G West, that you end up having the best team go up against arguably the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. Who wants to tune in to watch Ohio State play Northwestern? Even the one time they had the two best teams facing off, Ohio State vs Wisconsin, you're not going to get a really large rating, because, well, it's Wisconsin. ACC game is usually a lop-sided affair every year, and I don't even think the Pac 12 game even had the arguably the best team in the conference making the title game. Hopefully, the B1G will go back to having a single division, and go with the two best teams.

That is why the B1G and FOX are circling Texas and Oklahoma.
Add them to the West plus on the academic side bring in UT's research in the modern technologies.

From what I heard Texas is not interested but I wouldn't say that 100%.
I think Texas and Oklahoma want to keep all their options open.

But FOX would much rather bring in them in with leverage.

Think FOX and the B1G loses on this one.

Well, I can certainly understand that. Until Texas can hang with bottom feeder Maryland, then no way should they have interest in competing with the other teams.

The B1G has its pluses and minuses.
I doubt athletic competition would be a reason Texas tells the B1G no.

The leverage that FOX and the B1G were going to put on the Big XII was known. They said it in December when the report from the B1G network came out.

On the otherhand the Big XII has to use their leaverage with ABC/ESPN. ESPN and the SEC doesn't want either school in the B1G.

Like I said I think this power move is 1) Way too early 2) At the wrong time

The Big XII is coming off a huge Championship game that set the attendance record and had a much bigger auidence than the B1G, PAC 12 and ACC.

If the B1G were to ever expand, then they need to go all out, and expand to 20, with hopes of having 4 Mega conferences (80 teams), and then you end up with a natural playoff of 4 conference champs playing for it all. I guess the B1G could add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State.

Kansas has a similar deal with ESPN with the Jayhawk Network featuring KU basketball.

There were rumors out of Nebraska about KU and the BIG.
Kansas used that to increase their revenue.

ESPN/ABC is three steps in front of FOX.
FOX and the B1G are minor leagues when it comes to CFB and major media.

Last edited:
Attendance was based on matchups. The Big 12 had a great matchup, the Big 10 did not. Northwestern gave away free tickets and free busing to the game to their students and still couldn’t get many to go. If it was Say Ohio State vs Michigan and a rematch of WVU vs Oklahoma or Texas the numbers would have been reversed. Iowa vs Michigan State 3 years ago was a complete sellout for the Big 10 Championship game. All about fan bases and matchups.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
FOX owns the B1G network. They are trying to put leverage on Oklahoma and Texas to leave the Big XII and join the B1G.
This is their first step. The B1G and PAC 12 championship game had lower ratings. Let them have those games. It is their loss.

Plus FOX does a horrible job at CFB. They are minor leagues compared to ESPN/FOX.

Whine all you want but this is another indication of why the Big 12=2=10 Flag Football Conference is slipping. Not good. Then again the whole CFP model is f...ed up.

Whine all you want but this is another indication of why the Big 12=2=10 Flag Football Conference is slipping. Not good. Then again the whole CFP model is f...ed up.

If you want to paint it as that than you are correct.

B1G has FOX in its corner. This makes sense on a few different levels for FOX.

But like I said I think FOX's power move is mistimed and mismanaged.

Kansas has a similar deal with ESPN with the Jayhawk Network featuring KU basketball.

There were rumors out of Nebraska about KU and the BIG.
Kansas used that to increase their revenue.

ESPN/ABC is three steps in front of FOX.
FOX and the B1G are minor leagues when it comes to CFB and major media.
You do realize the B1G has a nice media deal with ESPN as well, right? The minor league B1G is getting more payout per team than the major leagues. I believe UM was projected to get like $51MM this past year.

Attendance was based on matchups. The Big 12 had a great matchup, the Big 10 did not. Northwestern gave away free tickets and free busing to the game to their students and still couldn’t get many to go. If it was Say Ohio State vs Michigan and a rematch of WVU vs Oklahoma or Texas the numbers would have been reversed. Iowa vs Michigan State 3 years ago was a complete sellout for the Big 10 Championship game. All about fan bases and matchups.
Good post, Hawk. The Ohio State/Michigan regular season game had a higher TV rating than either of the Oklahoma/Texas match-ups.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Reactions: 1711 Cardiff
You do realize the B1G has a nice media deal with ESPN as well, right? The minor league B1G is getting more payout per team than the major leagues. I believe UM was projected to get like $51MM this past year.

ESPN has the CFP. It controls the narrative of the CFP.

Conference networks are where the money is at because ESPN and FOX make money off those because they control a certain share.
FOX controls 51% of the B1G network.

Then, according to you, the Big 12-2=10 Flag Football No Touch Video Game Football Conference is sucking wind in this area too!

There are only two conferences that are making revenue from their conference networks.
The PAC 12 network is a failure and I don't see why the ACC's will be better. Especially considering they are starting with a lot of overhead.

In rare cases like ND and Texas it is better to have your own deal. I think everyone else wished they were in the B1G or SEC.

The revenue I am speaking of goes to the media networks.
Conference networks are cable channels that media network have a stake in.
ESPN with the SEC is much different than the B1G and FOX.

The B1G's is somewhat convoluted because schools have to buy into the network and get share of the revenue in return.

So not all schools make the same amount of money.
Of course Michigan makes the most because they have a larger stake in the network.

Collectivism at its finest. Same with their supposed academic partnership.

If a school gets a grant and conducts research they have to share that research with the rest of the conference.

You cannot get a grant unless you agree to share the infomation with everyone else. I will

Last edited:
TVZ... not sure that’s correct. I believe all Big 10 teams got an equal share of around $54 million each. Not completely sure on Maryland and Rutgers as they may not be fully vested yet. Do a search for Northwestern ‘s new state of the art complex on Lake Michigan. . It is fantastic and a direct result of the money sharing from the ESPN and Fox TV deals. This has been great for Northwestern who could not have done this otherwise.

Listen loser no matter how you personally frame the Big12 nobody gives a shit about that Conference. You can show any rating crap you want to pull out of somewhere. Fox just dumped the championship game dude. Why can’t you deal with the fact that the Big12 Conference sucks. Do not realize 80% of the Conference teams are in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Read that sentence a couple of times you freaken retard. Do see nothing alarming about that?

The B1G has its pluses and minuses.
I doubt athletic competition would be a reason Texas tells the B1G no.

The leverage that FOX and the B1G were going to put on the Big XII was known. They said it in December when the report from the B1G network came out.

On the otherhand the Big XII has to use their leaverage with ABC/ESPN. ESPN and the SEC doesn't want either school in the B1G.

Like I said I think this power move is 1) Way too early 2) At the wrong time

The Big XII is coming off a huge Championship game that set the attendance record and had a much bigger auidence than the B1G, PAC 12 and ACC.

You are helpless and hopeless Texass.

Listen loser no matter how you personally frame the Big12 nobody gives a shit about that Conference. You can show any rating crap you want to pull out of somewhere. Fox just dumped the championship game dude. Why can’t you deal with the fact that the Big12 Conference sucks. Do not realize 80% of the Conference teams are in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Read that sentence a couple of times you freaken retard. Do see nothing alarming about that?

The Big XII already knew this was going to happen.

The B1G network released their agenda last month it included the fact that FOX was going to pull the plug on the Big XII.

FOX as it already been stated is the media behind the B1G network

All this does is put the Big XII in the same boat as the ACC.
The ACC was stuck with ABC/ESPN as their media partner for their championship game.

Same as the Big XII now.
The Big XII still has a contract with ESPN/ABC.
This just means the Big XII can't use the networks against each other.

Good try Greggy.

The Big XII already knew this was going to happen.

The B1G network released their agenda last month it included the fact that FOX was going to pull the plug on the Big XII.

FOX as it already been stated is the media behind the B1G network

All this does is put the Big XII in the same boat as the ACC.
The ACC was stuck with ABC/ESPN as their media partner for their championship game.

Same as the Big XII now.
The Big XII still has a contract with ESPN/ABC.
This just means the Big XII can't use the networks against each other.

Good try Greggy.

LOL at turd Texass in denial haha. Listen man in fairness no one cares about any of this crap accept for playoffs. Security for all of college football in the future will be an expanded playoff to 12 to 16 teams. Even that might not help college football. Could you imagine college hoops having 4 playoff teams and a bunch of irrelevant Bowl hoop games haha. The NCAA and the Bowls are literally killing college football. The penalty fest the game has become hasn’t helped either.

Reactions: FreddieFunk
LOL at turd Texass in denial haha. Listen man in fairness no one cares about any of this crap accept for playoffs. Security for all of college football in the future will be an expanded playoff to 12 to 16 teams. Even that might not help college football. Could you imagine college hoops having 4 playoff teams and a bunch of irrelevant Bowl hoop games haha. The NCAA and the Bowls are literally killing college football. The penalty fest the game has become hasn’t helped either.

Why would I be in denial?
It is old news.

You remember those tweets you posted last month by the Minnesota insider.

The information was provided then that FOX was going to attempt to push Texas and Oklahoma into the B1G.

But.....
FOX is underestimating the desire of the SEC in keeping their options open in case the ACC does not far a part.
Then the SEC can bring in OU.
So the SEC/ESPN like they have done with the Sugar Bowl and the Big XII/SEC basketball challenge will underwrite the Big XII.

WVU Admin would accept an ACC bid quicker than it took Eers to piss his pants when he heard Fox was dumping Big12 Championship Game.

No. We told them no before they took UL. If it became the ACC or the AAC then we would do it, but the WVU fan base is well over the ACC.

We have 7 years until the GOR is up. We will earn our seat at the table. Will Pitt?

Big $ sports will continue to push $$$$$$ now thinking to the point the fans will be gone. Then the $$$ will evaporate. NFL and NCAA is going to hell together. Too many greedy dumbasses running it into ground.

Reactions: Rootmaster
No. We told them no before they took UL. If it became the ACC or the AAC then we would do it, but the WVU fan base is well over the ACC.

We have 7 years until the GOR is up. We will earn our seat at the table. Will Pitt?

Dude you are such a foolish tool haha. LOL at you posting WVU told ACC “no”. Bawabahahaha!!!! The homers on this site are pathetic. The Big12 may or may not make. Pitt is good to go in ACC you moron. They just won a division title you idiot. They’ll be fine. LOL at you having Pitt on your brain.

Dude you are such a foolish tool haha. LOL at you posting WVU told ACC “no”. Bawabahahaha!!!! The homers on this site are pathetic. The Big12 may or may not make. Pitt is good to go in ACC you moron. They just won a division title you idiot. They’ll be fine. LOL at you having Pitt on your brain.

I think it is even more pathetic that you come here and feel the need to respond.

Being in Big 12 actually hurts our recruiting because we are not playing against the border states that we always recruited heavy in. It didn’t help that we had one of the worst D1 coaches in the country the past 8 years that knew he was not liked and needed to get out before being fired. Dana refused to recruit what he needed to and missed on too many good WV kids which killed depth.

Reactions: Rootmaster

“The lady doth protest too much”

- William Shakespeare

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT