ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Former West Virginia RB Brown anxious for draft

I root for all WVU guys to do well in the pros but I'm guessing Leddie and has 4.6 to 4.7 speed isn't going to make it. I hope I'm wrong.

I will say I was surprised when I heard his speed was that slow. Remember the early season 80 yard TD run vs Va Tech last year? The VT DB couldn't catch him. He gained some ground but not as fast as I'd think a big school DB would on a 4.6 to 4.7 guy. Here's the play. Maybe Leddie has better relative speed in pads than shorts.

He can catch passes out of the backfield. A lot of teams throw to RB. But I'm guessing he becomes a free agent when he doesn't get drafted.

5 Georgia defenders drafted in first round breaks record.

Who picked him again?
If what you're getting at with that is he was being overly optimistic by assuming someone would draft him, I agree. But the nature of things is such lots these guys are delusional about their prospects. About 250 guys get drafted but probably a thousand think they'll get drafted.

I remember back in the 1980s there was a backup RB at WVU named Bryant McCallister. He played mostly on special teams. (I just looked up his stats and he had two rushes and one reception in his WVU career, although the one reception was a 1 yard TD.)

He also had a radio show on U-92 and after football season was over his senior year he was talking once on the show about what he was going to do in the future since his time at WVU was coming to and end. He said he was going to give the NFL a shot and if didn't work out then he'd do...whatever, I can't remember the specifics but it probably had to do with the degree he was about to get.

He was a career backup at WVU and he thought he had a chance at making the NFL. And as I recall, he was a well spoken guy that didn't talk crazy. Point being, even the sane guys are delusional when it comes to their chances of making the NFL.

I just read that Leddie Brown signed a free agent contract with the Chargers. Good luck to him.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and Vernon
If what you're getting at with that is he was being overly optimistic by assuming someone would draft him, I agree. But the nature of things is such lots these guys are delusional about their prospects. About 250 guys get drafted but probably a thousand think they'll get drafted.

I remember back in the 1980s there was a backup RB at WVU named Bryant McCallister. He played mostly on special teams. (I just looked up his stats and he had two rushes and one reception in his WVU career, although the one reception was a 1 yard TD.)

He also had a radio show on U-92 and after football season was over his senior year he was talking once on the show about what he was going to do in the future since his time at WVU was coming to and end. He said he was going to give the NFL a shot and if didn't work out then he'd do...whatever, I can't remember the specifics but it probably had to do with the degree he was about to get.

He was a career backup at WVU and he thought he had a chance at making the NFL. And as I recall, he was a well spoken guy that didn't talk crazy. Point being, even the sane guys are delusional when it comes to their chances of making the NFL.

I just read that Leddie Brown signed a free agent contract with the Chargers. Good luck to him.

I think he and even this fan base thought too highly of him. He was a good player on a bad team, but he is slow. He doesn't make good cuts. He is certainly not big enough to power run over NFL fronts. He can catch out of the backfield, but just like his size will not allow him to power run against NFL level guys, his lack of quickness will allow LBs and safeties to close easily. I love Leddie, but objectively Smallwood, Sims, and even Crawford were better NFL prospects. Now, could Leddie have a revelation in the league? I hope so, but it would be a revelation due to how his body of work isn't impressive on that level. Equally he could become an iron man that sticks around in the league as a special team/3rd string RB. I hope one of these 2 things happen for him, but I do think he and others had an over inflated opinion of his ability relative to his objective measurables.

Leddie was solid at WVU, no way he was getting drafted. Make the Chargers squad, play on ST, get that health insurance, hit some XFL, USFL for a few years, get a financial adviser, and start a career.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
In the NFL speed matters. Leddie just doesn't have it.

Homerun speed is just a bonus for NFL teams. If you can make plays you're in.

(Average 40 time: 4.81; Minimum time to qualify for this team: 4.86)

Tom Brady, Patriots
Philip Rivers, Chargers

(Average: 4.53; Minimum: 4.58)

Le’Veon Bell, Jets

Devonta Freeman, Falcons

Mark Ingram, Ravens

Homerun speed is just a bonus for NFL teams. If you can make plays you're in.

(Average 40 time: 4.81; Minimum time to qualify for this team: 4.86)

Tom Brady, Patriots
Philip Rivers, Chargers

(Average: 4.53; Minimum: 4.58)

Le’Veon Bell, Jets

Devonta Freeman, Falcons

Mark Ingram, Ravens

I agree that the 40 is over rated, but watching Leddie play on tape, he just doesn't seem to have that burst or pop through the hole. Plenty of times a hole was there that Slaton or even Smallwood would have gotten to the second level on, but Leddie got tripped up by a DL shedding a block or a linebacker coming over. Then there were times Leddie did get to the second level where others backs would've gotten 20 plus yards and Leddie was closed on for a tackle after 10.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I agree that the 40 is over rated, but watching Leddie play on tape, he just doesn't seem to have that burst or pop through the hole. Plenty of times a hole was there that Slaton or even Smallwood would have gotten to the second level on, but Leddie got tripped up by a DL shedding a block or a linebacker coming over. Then there were times Leddie did get to the second level where others backs would've gotten 20 plus yards and Leddie was closed on for a tackle after 10.
Miracle he had over a thousand yards a year with such poor blocking from OL. But yes he is a straight ahead runner. But also much better receiver.

Miracle he had over a thousand yards a year with such poor blocking from OL. But yes he is a straight ahead runner. But also much better receiver.

He has hands, but I think the same way NFL competition's size/strength will make it harder for Leddie to power run like he did in college, his lack of quickness is likely have the same negative aspect on his utility as a receiver out of the backfield. Plenty of good players that were late draft picks or completely undrafted, but they had to prove it on the NFL level because they didn't have an impressive pre-draft resume and Leddie definitely fits that. I really hope he does have a long and successful career even if not as a star. Afterall, late draft pick Keith Tandy was not viewed as a great secondary player pre-draft, but started 8+ seasons with the team that drafted him and outlasted and/or outpreformed multiple higher CB and safety draft selections ... Including Pacman.

He has hands, but I think the same way NFL competition's size/strength will make it harder for Leddie to power run like he did in college, his lack of quickness is likely have the same negative aspect on his utility as a receiver out of the backfield. Plenty of good players that were late draft picks or completely undrafted, but they had to prove it on the NFL level because they didn't have an impressive pre-draft resume and Leddie definitely fits that. I really hope he does have a long and successful career even if not as a star. Afterall, late draft pick Keith Tandy was not viewed as a great secondary player pre-draft, but started 8+ seasons with the team that drafted him and outlasted and/or outpreformed multiple higher CB and safety draft selections ... Including Pacman.
Might as well save his signing money as he has no hope.

ADVERTISEMENT