ADVERTISEMENT

For a lineup change to work, Huggs needs to let Sherman, McNeil, etc. play through mistakes

5-Technique

Junior
May 14, 2018
Johnny Ola's house
They will make mistakes, they may get beat for a straight-line drive but I think any good shooter needs to get into his own rhythm to be most successful and being yanked after a mistake is no way to accomplish this. I also think that the offense is timid to shoot when there is an open look early in the shot clock and I think coach needs to be more lenient when it comes to this. If one of our better shooters has an open look with more than twenty on the clock, they shouldn't be killed for taking the shot if the post wasn't open and they were. Just my two cents but what do the rest of you guys think?

Reactions: locustwv
Well, I like to leave things like that up to the coach, but sometimes I have wondered if Huggins sometimes yanks a player too quickly for a mistake. I know it's a teaching-moment, but sometimes you have to give kids a chance to fail. Either way, it's not a call I'm qualified to make.

They will make mistakes, they may get beat for a straight-line drive but I think any good shooter needs to get into his own rhythm to be most successful and being yanked after a mistake is no way to accomplish this. I also think that the offense is timid to shoot when there is an open look early in the shot clock and I think coach needs to be more lenient when it comes to this. If one of our better shooters has an open look with more than twenty on the clock, they shouldn't be killed for taking the shot if the post wasn't open and they were. Just my two cents but what do the rest of you guys think?

I would say he did just that...McNeil 21 minutes, McBride 31 minutes.

I would never be stupid enough to think I know more about coaching that a man who has won more games than Adolph Rupp. Bob Huggins continually tinkers with the lineup, from game to game and from half to half, searching for hot hands or tough rebounders or ferocious defenders. It's what makes him a Hall of Fame coach (eventually). I find it fascinating to see what works and what doesn't work from game to game.

With the youngest team in the Big 12 and one of the youngest in the nation I think Bob has done quite well this season. Any bitchers here want to swap Huggins for the Texas coach?

Now, let's turn Huggins Heroes and the Pitbull Defense on to the Texas Two-Step of TCU and Texas, then wreck the Sooner Schooner and blow away the Cyclones before we have a reunion with some really nasty Bears!!!!

I would never be stupid enough to think I know more about coaching that a man who has won more games than Adolph Rupp. Bob Huggins continually tinkers with the lineup, from game to game and from half to half, searching for hot hands or tough rebounders or ferocious defenders. It's what makes him a Hall of Fame coach (eventually). I find it fascinating to see what works and what doesn't work from game to game.

With the youngest team in the Big 12 and one of the youngest in the nation I think Bob has done quite well this season. Any bitchers here want to swap Huggins for the Texas coach?

Now, let's turn Huggins Heroes and the Pitbull Defense on to the Texas Two-Step of TCU and Texas, then wreck the Sooner Schooner and blow away the Cyclones before we have a reunion with some really nasty Bears!!!!

The youth argument is more effective when:

1. There's a feeling that all eligible players will return to WVU (transfer portal, playing pro ball)

2. There's a history of player improvement from year to year (Matthews, McCabe, et al)

3. There is a super team out there that is destined to win the nat'l championship (there is not this year)

WVU is blowing it. They need to sweep the next 4 and at the very least give Baylor one hell of a scare in Morgantown. Calipari told Huggs earlier that he had all of the ingredients to win it all this year and I have not forgotten that.

The youth argument is more effective when:

1. There's a feeling that all eligible players will return to WVU (transfer portal, playing pro ball)
And you don't think all eligible players will return? Oscar isn't ready for the NBA or even European ball … yet. He needs at least another year under Huggins?

2. There's a history of player improvement from year to year (Matthews, McCabe, et al)

Good point. Every player on this team has been up and down rather than on a steady climb. Culver comes the closest but he's had his falling-off-the-rail moments.

3. There is a super team out there that is destined to win the nat'l championship (there is not this year)
I agree with you 100% on this. This would have been a great year for Huggins to have a Jevon Carter player leading the team.

WVU is blowing it. They need to sweep the next 4 and at the very least give Baylor one hell of a scare in Morgantown. Calipari told Huggs earlier that he had all of the ingredients to win it all this year and I have not forgotten that.

I certainly won't quarrel with Calipari's judgment.

But I think we both agree that chemistry is a tricky thing to handle with 18 to 22-year-olds, in sports, in cars, with girls, with classroom work.

This has been, as Bette Davis famously said once, "a bumpy ride."

We expected that from the youngest team in the Big 12 and one of the youngest in America. Then Huggins Heroes started winning and we all, including me, got visions of a March Madness run in our heads.

Then they lost games we thought they should win and some of us got down on this young team. Losing to Kansas and Baylor back-to-back could happen to ANY team in America, young or veteran, so wipe them out of this discussion.

I agree that it's time to pull it all together because there are only 5 regular season games left, then the Big 12 tournament and then March Madness, which WVU will be in.

#3, #4 or #5 seed doesn't perturb me much because, as you indicate, this is the year that ANYBODY in the field might win it.

So why not WVU?

Sure glad you haven't forgotten. We all will sleep better knoewng that fakesportswriter.

Last edited:
Cripes will you let it go? We ALL get it. You dont like him.

Look the big red font has fabricated crap...insulted the country, flag, and military...put down nearly everyone as inferior..used folks i worked with to prop up his forum persona , and blustered his way into earning criticism. I have tried to build bridges but he is way to ego driven to care. Still wish him good health....but...

Look the big red font has fabricated crap...insulted the country, flag, and military...put down nearly everyone as inferior..used folks i worked with to prop up his forum persona , and blustered his way into earning criticism. I have tried to build bridges but he is way to ego driven to care. Still wish him good health....but...
When has he ever insulted the country, flag or military?

Link?

Technique - I suggest this is one of the best observation about this team I've seen. Indeed if a shot is open take it regardless of where the shot clock is. We dribble too damn much. NOT THE PLAYERS FAULT!!! They are doing exactly what the coaches are telling them to do. TIme to change coaches. In recent years we've watched to same damned thing happen over and over and over. The players leave BUT the assistants are staying that IMHO is the problem

Reactions: 5-Technique

Our better shooters have had open looks. They just tend to swing and miss on a regular basis. Until they start hitting shots the middle is going to look like a grocery line on a Super Bowl Sunday.

These guys have been playing 14 to 15 minutes and here the last few games 20 minutes. They tend to give up more points than they get. You can't play one end and not the other.

I think people are over exaggerating the so called early hook.

There are about 30 teams that have all the ingredients to win it all this year.

Well one team not...not...in your 30 is our Mountaineers

FlimsyWatchfulFlyinglemur-small.gif

Reactions: Rootmaster
Oh those fouls shots...

Among the NCAA rules that have been polished over the years:
  • Between 1939 and 1952, teams could decline shooting the free throws and instead elect to inbound the ball at half court.
  • In 1990, the NCAA started allowing three free throws to be awarded if a player is fouled during a 3-point shot.
  • The one-and-one free throw is introduced in 1954, which in certain situations allowed for a second free throw to be shot only if the first one is converted.

At first, the free throw was controversial. Why, some wondered, should a game potentially be won or lost on a shot that doesn't allow for any defense to be played?

By John Branch
March 3, 2009

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/04/sports/basketball/04freethrow.html

For Free Throws, 50 Years of Practice Is No Help

One thing has remained remarkably constant: the rate at which players make free throws.

Since the mid-1960s, college men’s players have made about 69 percent of free throws, the unguarded 15-foot, 1-point shot awarded after a foul. In 1965, the rate was 69 percent. As teams scramble for bids to the N.C.A.A. tournament, it was 68.8. It has dropped as low as 67.1 but never topped 70.

In the National Basketball Association, the average has been roughly 75 percent for more than 50 years. Players in college women’s basketball and the W.N.B.A. reached similar plateaus — about equal to the men — and stuck there.

The general expectation in sports is that performance improves over time. Future athletes will surely be faster, throw farther, jump higher. But free-throw shooting represents a stubbornly peculiar athletic endeavor. As a group, players have not gotten better. Nor have they become worse.

The sounds of Mountaineer basketball free throws are eerily similar to the sounds of Mountaineer field goal shooting. Clang. Clunk. Thud. Bang. Zing. Bonk.

At this point, I'm hoping for three more wins including the Big 12 tournament. Talk about tanking at the wrong time of the year. But the Big 12 is tough.

Technique - I suggest this is one of the best observation about this team I've seen. Indeed if a shot is open take it regardless of where the shot clock is. We dribble too damn much. NOT THE PLAYERS FAULT!!! They are doing exactly what the coaches are telling them to do. TIme to change coaches. In recent years we've watched to same damned thing happen over and over and over. The players leave BUT the assistants are staying that IMHO is the problem
We "dribble too much" because the players are NOT doing what the coaches tell them to do, which is to make quick passes from side to side that gets the defense out of their alignment. Much like a good tennis player hits the ball from one side of the court to the other till he catches his opponent going left and hits the ball to his right instead.

We "dribble too much" because the players are NOT doing what the coaches tell them to do, which is to make quick passes from side to side that gets the defense out of their alignment. Much like a good tennis player hits the ball from one side of the court to the other till he catches his opponent going left and hits the ball to his right instead.

Maybe the players are timid to pass quickly because they are borderline/completely scared of f*cking up, getting yanked and/or being berated on the sideline? Bob's sideline behavior is becoming a little too close to Dana's headset chucking ways for me. If John Beilein could get consistent movement, quick passing, open looks and shots made from his group of unathletic ragtag misfits, certainly a coach with 879 wins can get it done with this roster?

Reactions: Rootmaster
Maybe the players are timid to pass quickly because they are borderline/completely scared of f*cking up, getting yanked and/or being berated on the sideline? Bob's sideline behavior is becoming a little too close to Dana's headset chucking ways for me. If John Beilein could get consistent movement, quick passing, open looks and shots made from his group of unathletic ragtag misfits, certainly a coach with 879 wins can get it done with this roster?
Well, every WVU fan hopes so. So does Huggins. So do the players. Enough with the Barney Fife Zombies. I want the old Huggins Heroes Pitbull Defense to rise up out of the grave, the Sooners the better, too!!!

Just remember that the dribbling referred to on this forum is not the dribbling problem you have. Just sayin'

Our better shooters have had open looks. They just tend to swing and miss on a regular basis. Until they start hitting shots the middle is going to look like a grocery line on a Super Bowl Sunday.

These guys have been playing 14 to 15 minutes and here the last few games 20 minutes. They tend to give up more points than they get. You can't play one end and not the other.

I think people are over exaggerating the so called early hook.
An idea - start McNeil, McBride, Taz and two bigs - let 'em play for 10 minutes
no subs.

ADVERTISEMENT