ADVERTISEMENT

football defense depth issues

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
losing two linebackers now with Ferns out again added to the defensive line losses makes for serious depth issues with the big uglies. how does this affect your outlook for the season? personally i see DH trying to run the ball more to eat clock and/or playing shootout when needed. i say the mountaineers need to limit the amount of time defense is on the field or with the bottom loaded schedule it could get ugly around mid november. your thoughts?

losing two linebackers now with Ferns out again added to the defensive line losses makes for serious depth issues with the big uglies. how does this affect your outlook for the season? personally i see DH trying to run the ball more to eat clock and/or playing shootout when needed. i say the mountaineers need to limit the amount of time defense is on the field or with the bottom loaded schedule it could get ugly around mid november. your thoughts?

To much offensive fire power for Dana to play that way but I think he will be more methodical with when they do slow it down. At the end of the day he's going to play to the strength of his Heisman Hopeful. The D has to find a way to get better against the run....they don't have to be great but need to be improved. If the offense can improve on 3rd down and protect the D a little more and the D can move into the middle of the pack against the run we can win this conference.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Pretty good analysis 99. Hopefully we still get some grad transfer help,

I agree. May see some kids move to new spots and possibly newcomers playing earlier than expected.
Not going to be easy

Agree with your take. Major depth concerns. The O will be formidable but the D will struggle to get off the field.

7-5.

The offense much-praised offense will just sit on the sidelines most of the game unless the defense can get them the ball.

It will be 2012 all over again. Shootout after shootout. Dana will ride the Will Grier Express, win or lose. 7-5

it always seems that inexperience or lack of depth in one area of the team haunts the Mountaineers. i hope it is not shoot out after shoot out...boring as hell. that's like watching about of kids on a playground instead of football.

Have lost a lot of scholly s over last 2 years. Up to 14 now I think. Have actually stopped counting. KC didn’t think most of em would have made 2 deep so wasn’t much of loss. Still bothers me because had we recruited better talent, we wouldn’t be so thin on D. Thank goodness for grad transfers. Sure need some holes plugged quick.

Guess we could play 7 or 8 Safeties. We seem to have enough of them.

It will be 2012 all over again. Shootout after shootout. Dana will ride the Will Grier Express, win or lose. 7-5

2012 had 8 true freshman starters on that team. With several true freshman on the depth chart. In no way will this years defense be like a repeat of 2012.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
it always seems that inexperience or lack of depth in one area of the team haunts the Mountaineers. i hope it is not shoot out after shoot out...boring as hell. that's like watching about of kids on a playground instead of football.

Isn't the entire Big 12 a shoot out?

ADVERTISEMENT