ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Football Announces Defensive Line Addition

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia University football coach Neal Brown has announced that Mike Lockhart, a 6-foot-4, 302-pound, redshirt junior defensive lineman from Birmingham, Alabama, has signed a grant-in-aid and will transfer to WVU from Georgia Tech. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.

Mike Lockhart, r-Jr., DL, 6-4, 302, Birmingham, Alabama/Huffman/Georgia Tech

2021 (r-So.) – Georgia Tech
Played for coach Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech
Saw action in 12 games, finishing with nine tackles, a half sack and 1 ½ tackles for loss
Season-high four tackles against Duke
Solo tackles against Clemson and Miami
2020 (r-Fr.) – Georgia Tech
Appeared in nine games and made five starts at defensive tackle
Started five of the final six games of the season (Clemson, at Boston College, Notre Dame, NC State, Pitt)
Recorded three tackles, including one for loss, in season-opening win at Florida State
Had multiple tackles in each of his first five games of the season, led by a season-high five, including a half-tackle for loss, at Boston College
2019 (Fr.) – Georgia Tech
Redshirted after appearing in four games on the defensive line
Saw his first collegiate action against Pitt
Recorded his first-career solo tackle against Virginia Tech
Registered a quarterback hurry against NC State
High School
Coached by Alex Wilson at Huffman High
Rated as a three-star prospect by 247Sports and Rivals and No. 17 player in the state of Alabama by Rivals
A basketball standout for much of his high-school career, did not begin playing football until senior season
Recorded 37 tackles, 10 tackles for loss and four sacks during his lone season of football, en route to all-city recognition
Was a four-year letterwinner as a power forward in basketball
Honor roll student

But but but...Bucky and root said everybody is leaving WVU not coming to WVU.

But but but...Bucky and root said everybody is leaving WVU not coming to WVU.

I'll preface this with the fact that Bucky and Root are imbeciles. That being said, he's coming from GA Tech and his stats there were not exactly eye popping. I'd still like to think WVU is a step up from GT, but it's not like we stole a potential All American that the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world were hoping to get.

I'll preface this with the fact that Bucky and Root are imbeciles. That being said, he's coming from GA Tech and his stats there were not exactly eye popping. I'd still like to think WVU is a step up from GT, but it's not like we stole a potential All American that the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world were hoping to get.
He's a body. Better than blocking air during practices.

He just started playing football during his senior year in high school.

He had always just played basketball.

He has tremendous upside and his best football is in front of him.

There is a reason why Auburn and VT also offered him.

ADVERTISEMENT