ADVERTISEMENT

First questionable targeting call of the 2022 college football season already has fans annoyed

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
College football is back and, unfortunately, so is targeting.

On Thursday, the Penn State Nittany Lions were visiting the Purdue Boilermakers in a Week 1 Big Ten matchup. With the Nittany Lions up 7-3 and the Boilermakers with the ball midway through the second quarter, linebacker Abdul Carter checked in for his first ever play.

On a dropped ball, Carter attempted to possibly recover a fumble before the whistle blew, tackling Tyrone Tracy with a shoulder to shoulder hit. The play was reviewed by officials, who ejected Carter for targeting, ending his night early. While a close call, Carter initiates point of contact at the shoulder with his shoulder, with the play only looking awkward because Tracy was attempting to recover the ball.

"To me he's trying to get to that ball." @MikePereira weighs in on the targeting call against Penn State pic.twitter.com/RGo1Ox9RZG
— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) September 2, 2022

That is… definitely not targeting. And college football fans knew it too, immediately taking to social media to vent their frustrations and annoyance at the ticky-tacky call.
College football fans were not happy with the targeting call against Penn State's Abdul Carter

Ah, targeting. How I did not miss you.
— Tom Fornelli (@TomFornelli) September 2, 2022

So sick of the targeting rule, just saw one against PennSt. Player….I’m just done with it.
— Mike Golic (@golic) September 2, 2022

Targeting: What Is It? pic.twitter.com/HxApNgVfS1
— Anthony Broome (@anthonytbroome) September 2, 2022

Still think it’s incredibly dumb that one targeting gets you tossed. Should be a warning and then a 2nd one creates the ejection. Especially when it’s a judgement call
— Tone Digs (@ToneDigz) September 2, 2022

Is there anybody that thinks targeting calls and ejections for playing football the right way is a logical solution. This is absolutely ridiculous.
— AQ Shipley (@aqshipley) September 2, 2022

As a Purdue bettor I’m gonna be the bigger man here and admit that targeting call on Penn State is a travesty
— Fatt Carpenter (Long Ball Ev) (@DoubleVodkaDon) September 2, 2022

A reminder that targeting is in fact the worst rule in college football. Officials inability to properly call it makes things even worse. That call in the PSU/Purdue game was just stupid.
Yet another NCAA travesty. Just so stupid.
— Bryan Driskell (@CoachD178) September 2, 2022

I forgot how much I absolutely DESPISE targeting.
The sideline referee doesn’t even blow his whistle to signal incomplete before Abdul Carter makes the hit. And now he’s out of his first ever game at Penn State.
Targeting is the worst rule in sports. pic.twitter.com/6LmioWURvs
— Ben Stevens (@BenScottStevens) September 2, 2022

Targeting is dumb
— Mike Farrell (@mfarrellsports) September 2, 2022

college football is back baby! https://t.co/Otx206SDAL
— Justin (@WayneGritzky99) September 2, 2022

First trash call of the year. Football is back I guess https://t.co/nFHEhiGmlY
— Brad Guillory (@B_Guillory) September 2, 2022

Good to know targeting is still the worst rules in college football. #PSUvsPUR
— Matt Finkes (@MattFinkes) September 2, 2022

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts