ADVERTISEMENT

FB is toast...... will there be BB?

Butler-eer

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2002
With conferences scrambling to rewrite schedules for the sake of "safety" for the players. IMO the outcome will be that of the Ivy League. All it will take is a few college Pres or a state Governor to put the kabosh to the season. Saying that conference only scheduling is for the safety of the players is akin to any political promise. How does conference only scheduling make playing a game more safe than playing a team out of conference. This makes no sense at all.

So ...... Up next is BB. Doesn't start till Nov. Gives us a couple more months to get out in front of the COVID cure. Could push the non conference schedule back a month or more. This is more likely to be the main money maker for all the programs this coming year.

Reactions: 1duluth1
With conferences scrambling to rewrite schedules for the sake of "safety" for the players. IMO the outcome will be that of the Ivy League. All it will take is a few college Pres or a state Governor to put the kabosh to the season. Saying that conference only scheduling is for the safety of the players is akin to any political promise. How does conference only scheduling make playing a game more safe than playing a team out of conference. This makes no sense at all.

So ...... Up next is BB. Doesn't start till Nov. Gives us a couple more months to get out in front of the COVID cure. Could push the non conference schedule back a month or more. This is more likely to be the main money maker for all the programs this coming year.
Basketball has a chance but not if they can't keep the positive test results down. And some states may eliminate all sports for the remainder of the year and that may leave many schools with no choice.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Without football, will money even be available for schools to play sports? Football is the revenue maker for high schools and college levels. No football = no money.

Another question. If no sports, do universities stop honoring their athletic scholarships?

The 2nd question is answered yes the school has to honor scholarships (for 1 year and there’s an athletic endowment fund that covers that).

On theCollege level, I think sports will change drastically after this for a while.

No FB season brings up the bigger questions on scholarships.
1. do they honor them? Most universities can and should. Some of the smaller schools will struggle.
2. What does the NCAA do with 5 to play 4 eligibility? RSR's not playing their last year have completed their 5 years and not able to play the 4th. Do they get a waiver? What about underclassmen?
3. What does this do to the 85 schollie limit if waivers are given. Not so much of a problem in FB because the Portal has decimated many rosters and it will be hard for them to get to the 85 number. But if this lasts thru BB season this could be a huge problem. I would love to see Taz and Gabe get another season. Could you see NCAA allowing 15, 16, 17 players on a team?
4. What effect will all of this have on the minor sports?

You will see a lot of the minor sports dumped. Hope they can hang onto soccer I am interested in the new soccer coach hired from UC.

Football then basketball are the real money makers. Basketball mainly makes it's most money during March madness.

I can see basketball making it before football does. Considering conference games do not start until January. Could also see tournament games being played in 8 different sites with 8 in each group. Sites will then be cut to 4 with 8 teams in each of those. After getting to 16 you could have all 16 teams in one building.

Problem could be if a team has a member test positive do they get booted?

Right now my thoughts are no seasons will be played and schools will apply for a kind of government relief to survive. Thus this will lead to players being paid and college teams no longer really being part of a college and it's budget. But the school still gets money by charging for use of their field and facilities.

One things for sure college football will never be the same again.

I think you're right about schools dumping some minor sports. Didn't Stanford just dump 11 minor sports? What wasn't said was that they supported 37 programs so 11, although it seems like a large number, still leaves them with more programs than most schools.

Allen, I think your prediction for the direction of FB is a little extreem. Just don't see it going that way.

Basketball actually makes more money but it goes to the NCAA.

If they can change that because of CV I believe most P5 schools will be happy.

Basketball actually makes more money but it goes to the NCAA.

If they can change that because of CV I believe most P5 schools will be happy.

Football makes 4 times as much money as BB. The "NCAA" makes more money from basketball because they run the Big Dance.

But Allen...you assume that TVZ/JV is a he. Could be a she...or could be an it...or a trans...or anyone of the other 74 liberal approved genders. You are correct however that the poster commonly referred to TVZTHEPOMPOUSASSHOLE is a blowhard.

Yes you are correct. I think it swings many different ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT