ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Baseball

SHB1113

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2018
A lot of you might be on this email list from WVU Baseball, but I thought it might be cool to share this update from Coach Sabins- for the benefit of those who might not be and are interested in the program. A lot of great info here:

“What’s up Mountaineers! I hope everybody is doing well and having a great start to the fall. My 7-year-old daughter is back in school, and the 3-year-old boy starts Pre-K this upcoming week. We mix in soccer, t-ball, and dance with the kid activities. It’s always fun and busy. My daughter is pretty low maintenance. My son is a wild man. My wife is a saint.

The first couple weeks with the squad have been a blast. We have begun training and teaching in all phases. Baserunning, hitting, defense, arm care, pitching, and simulated games have all taken place. The players have had their body compositions taken. They have been educated on nutrition, hydration, and sleep. They have executed strength and sprint sessions. They have been instructed on how to keep their lockers, how to dress for practices, how to turn in their laundry, how to keep their dorms, how to treat our facility, how to flush toilets, and how to present themselves in public. They have worked on becoming a team and avoiding cliques. They have created accountability units within the team that help ensure they handle the many small details required of being great. Our assistant, Jimmy Roesinger, got married! Our entire team went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game (they won on a walk-off homer). We held a 12-player recruiting event over the weekend. We had a team meal together at the stadium.

We had a short break for Labor Day and will get back to work today. This week we will continue to teach and implement systems in anticipation of our first fall scrimmage on September 13th. Our goal is to teach “how we play” before September 13th. Then…we can work to hold each player accountable for that standard in the game. We have a lot to still get in. 11 days until the first scrimmage. Tick Tock.

We are just about over the “newness” of the fall. We are getting in rhythm of work and training. My guess is that most players know everybody’s name and every staff member’s name. We are getting closer to making developmental breakthroughs with players. It’s hard to make strides in baseball when you are worried about your accounting class. It’s hard to get better when you are getting barked at for wearing the wrong socks to practice. We are close to finding that rhythm and everybody understanding expectations.

I hope each one of you is doing great. I can’t tell you enough how appreciative I am of your support of our program. Building something great in Morgantown is what we all want. Thanks for helping in that quest.

News

Fall Scrimmages in Morgantown

• We have decided to open the stadium to the public for FRIDAY NIGHT FALL SCRIMMAGES. No concessions, throw back the foul balls (we are budget conscious around this joint), and don’t leave your empty cans and peanut shells on the ground! HAHA. I thought this was a cool option for people in town who wanted to swing by the stadium and watch us compete. If it’s a nice night…I can’t think of anything better. Free admission to watch the boys. We set the game times to be at 6 PM so it was convenient for working folks and easy to remember.
    • September 13 – 6 PM
    • September 20 – 6 PM
    • October 4 – 6 PM (1st game of Fall World Series)
    • October 16 – International Competition vs. Toronto Mets @ 5 PM (Wednesday)

Pre-Season Leadoff Banquet – January 25

• This will be a big event. Put this on your calendar. It will be a way to celebrate the kids and the start of the 2025 season. I need your support and so do the boys. This is our big fundraising push for Country Roads Trust each year. Dinner, raffles, auctions, live entertainment. The whole nine. ALL proceeds will go directly to the players and our roster. As you guys know…you DON’T compete without being competitive in this arena.

Fall Games

• We will play Xavier at Prasco Park in Cincinnati, Ohio on September 28th. First pitch is scheduled for 2 PM.
  • We will play Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, NC on October 27th. First Pitch will be early but time TBD (likely 10 AM-ish)

Locker Naming Rights/Help the Program

• I’m still working on this. Finalizing details on naming rights for each locker inside the facility. Once I can get the details from the fundraising people, I will keep everybody posted. I’ll ask for the people who can make it work to jump in. We only have 39 lockers in the facility…so it will be an exclusive opportunity to get your name on one of these and help the program. More importantly, it will show each player that former players, alumni and donors put their hard earned money down and have a vested interest in the success of the program. It will help the players realize that this program means a lot…to a lot of people. We are working on what the donation will be to have a locker plaque placed above a player’s locker.

Alumni

Alumni Weekend

October 18th- 3 PM Fall World Series Baseball Scrimmage. 6:30 PM Alumni Batting Practice under the lights (athletic trainers will be standing by- orthopedic surgeons on call)

October 19th- Fall World Series Game (time TBD) + Football takes on Kansas State + 2024 Regional Championship Team Halftime Recognition

October 20th- Fall World Series Game (time TBD)

*If you want to be seated with other alumni at the football game, purchase tickets through the link below…..KState football tickets

Link: https://fevo-enterprise.com/event/2024baseballalumniweekend

*If you need hotel reservations and want a special group rate ($329) book your reservation here Book your group rate for WVU Baseball Alumni - Kansas State @ WVU

RSVP BY emailing Joey Cuomo Joey.cuomo@mail.wvu.edu – build your calendar around attending this event. Our players need to see the pride you all have in this place. If you have any questions, reach out to Joey. Joey runs this place.

Over n’ out

*Sabs”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.