ADVERTISEMENT

Fairmont native/Fairmont high first for Darius Stills?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
When Darius Stills hears his name called in the NFL draft, he will become the first Fairmont native drafted in the modern draft era and maybe the only Fairmont native AND Fairmont high school graduate ever.

The last Fairmont native chosen was LB Tony Adamle, who was a 12th round selection by the Chicago Bears in 1947, but his family moved to Cleveland before Tony’s high school years.

Dr. Anthony “Tony” Adamle was born in Fairmont in 1924 but his Slovenian parents moved to Cleveland when he was a child and Tony graduated from Cleveland Collinwood High School and attended but dropped out of Ohio State and later got his degree from Cleveland Western Reserve Medical School (later renamed Case Western).

Tony’s son, Mike Adamle, was a running back at Kent Roosevelt High School, Northwestern and, in the NFL, a fullback for the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears before becoming a sports broadcaster.

Dr. Adamle passed away at the age of 76 in 2000 in Kent, Ohio, home of Kent State University, with Dr. Adamle as its team physician for more than 35 years.

Interesting that none of the 6 Fairmont State football stars drafted in the NFL was from Fairmont. Four came from Maryland high schools and one from a Canadian high school.

Despite extensive searching I couldn’t find George Clayton’s high school.

Larry Blackstone went to Baltimore Liberty High School

Jim Mertens was born in Cumberland, Maryland

Matt Fortier went to Seat Pleasant, Maryland Central High

George Edwards went to Northern High School in Accident, Maryland

Luc Tousignant went to Trois Rivieres High School in Trois Rivieres, which is midway between Quebec and Montreal in Canada

1966 NFL Draft

Los Angeles Rams
George Clayton
DB

1968 NFL Draft

Oakland Raiders
Larry Blackstone
RB

1969 NFL Draft

Miami Dolphins
Jim Mertens
TE

1970 NFL Draft

New York Giants

Matt Fortier
DE

1970 NFL Draft

Baltimore Colts
George Edwards
RB

1982 NFL Draft

Buffalo Bills
Luc Tousignant
QB

IT'S CALLED RESEARCH. AND I AN IQ TEST THAT PROVES I'M NOT A DOOFUS UNLESS YOU SPELL IT CERTIFIED GENIUS.
So you admit your blatant plagiarism! Add to that your incessant use of all caps coupled with a desperate need for ego massage and you are indeed...a certified doofus.

So you admit your blatant plagiarism! Add to that your incessant use of all caps coupled with a desperate need for ego massage and you are indeed...a certified doofus.

RESEARCH IS NOT "PLAGIARISM." LOOK UP BOTH WORDS. WHEN YOU WANT TO TALK WVU SPORTS, GET BACK TO ME. PISSING MATCHES BORE ME. AND OTHER POSTERS.

When Darius Stills hears his name called in the NFL draft, he will become the first Fairmont native drafted in the modern draft era and maybe the only Fairmont native AND Fairmont high school graduate ever.

The last Fairmont native chosen was LB Tony Adamle, who was a 12th round selection by the Chicago Bears in 1947, but his family moved to Cleveland before Tony’s high school years.

Dr. Anthony “Tony” Adamle was born in Fairmont in 1924 but his Slovenian parents moved to Cleveland when he was a child and Tony graduated from Cleveland Collinwood High School and attended but dropped out of Ohio State and later got his degree from Cleveland Western Reserve Medical School (later renamed Case Western).

Tony’s son, Mike Adamle, was a running back at Kent Roosevelt High School, Northwestern and, in the NFL, a fullback for the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears before becoming a sports broadcaster.

Dr. Adamle passed away at the age of 76 in 2000 in Kent, Ohio, home of Kent State University, with Dr. Adamle as its team physician for more than 35 years.

Interesting that none of the 6 Fairmont State football stars drafted in the NFL was from Fairmont. Four came from Maryland high schools and one from a Canadian high school.

Despite extensive searching I couldn’t find George Clayton’s high school.

Larry Blackstone went to Baltimore Liberty High School

Jim Mertens was born in Cumberland, Maryland

Matt Fortier went to Seat Pleasant, Maryland Central High

George Edwards went to Northern High School in Accident, Maryland

Luc Tousignant went to Trois Rivieres High School in Trois Rivieres, which is midway between Quebec and Montreal in Canada

1966 NFL Draft

Los Angeles Rams
George Clayton
DB

1968 NFL Draft

Oakland Raiders
Larry Blackstone
RB

1969 NFL Draft

Miami Dolphins
Jim Mertens
TE

1970 NFL Draft

New York Giants

Matt Fortier
DE

1970 NFL Draft

Baltimore Colts
George Edwards
RB

1982 NFL Draft

Buffalo Bills
Luc Tousignant
QB
Fairmont WEST has had other very good football players with several pre-datging the current and recent popularity of the NFL. In the late 1950's they had, what I believe, we a super powerhouse. Larry Drake was an outstanding running back. He ran behind a line anchored by the Terry brothers (Charles and Raymond--one a OG the other an OT). Both were huge for that era and really dominated. Opportunities for non-white players was just beginning at th is time. None of these three went to college, as I recall,. Seems that one of the Terry brothers may have played for a non-NFL 'pro' team in NY (maybe called the Titans). I'm convinced that in this modern era all these (and some others) WOULD have excelled on a college gridiron and would have been given opportunities in the NFL.

Reactions: OregonMountie
Fairmont WEST has had other very good football players with several pre-datging the current and recent popularity of the NFL. In the late 1950's they had, what I believe, we a super powerhouse. Larry Drake was an outstanding running back. He ran behind a line anchored by the Terry brothers (Charles and Raymond--one a OG the other an OT). Both were huge for that era and really dominated. Opportunities for non-white players was just beginning at th is time. None of these three went to college, as I recall,. Seems that one of the Terry brothers may have played for a non-NFL 'pro' team in NY (maybe called the Titans). I'm convinced that in this modern era all these (and some others) WOULD have excelled on a college gridiron and would have been given opportunities in the NFL.

THE BEST FAIRMONT WEST FOOTBALL PLAYER THAT I WATCHED IN PERSON WAS BILL LESKOVAR THE UNSTOPPABLE BACK IN THE 1946 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. HE LATER PLAYED FOR BEAR BRYANT, THEN THE KENTUCKY COACH BEFORE MOVING ON TO ALABAMA. I WATCHED IN AWE AS HE DECIMATED MY MONONGAH HIGH LIONS TEAM IN EAST-WEST STADIUM. BILL WAS DRAFTED BY THE CHICAGO CARDINALS IN 1951. THE TEAM LATER BECAME THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS, THEN THE ARIZONA CARDINALS. LESKOVAR WAS A FAIRMONT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYER WHO WAS IN THE NFL LONG BEFORE DARIUS STILLS. I REMEMBER BILL BEING BOOED WHEN KENTUCKY PLAYED WVU IN MOUNTAINEER FIELD BECAUSE HE BYPASSED MORGANTOWN FOR LEXINGTON.

Matt Rhule had high praise for No. 56, calling him “one of the best players we’ve ever played against”.

Reactions: locustwv
I feel so bad for Darius. I'm sure had high hopes. He made WVU so much better on defense. One of the more exciting on defense in a while, too. Lesson for others thinking about jumping ship for the NFL: First get a WVU degree in something that will give you a good living and comfortable retirement first as a backup in case you don't beat the long odds of the NFL. Everyone in NFL draft is a star in college, but few are in the pros. They all think they are the exception. I feel bad for WVU players who find the NFL isn't the pot of gold for them ... too late to return to WVU.

I feel so bad for Darius. I'm sure had high hopes. He made WVU so much better on defense. One of the more exciting on defense in a while, too. Lesson for others thinking about jumping ship for the NFL: First get a WVU degree in something that will give you a good living and comfortable retirement first as a backup in case you don't beat the long odds of the NFL. Everyone in NFL draft is a star in college, but few are in the pros. They all think they are the exception. I feel bad for WVU players who find the NFL isn't the pot of gold for them ... too late to return to WVU.
He signed with the Raiders. What's the big deal?

THE BEST FAIRMONT WEST FOOTBALL PLAYER THAT I WATCHED IN PERSON WAS BILL LESKOVAR THE UNSTOPPABLE BACK IN THE 1946 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. HE LATER PLAYED FOR BEAR BRYANT, THEN THE KENTUCKY COACH BEFORE MOVING ON TO ALABAMA. I WATCHED IN AWE AS HE DECIMATED MY MONONGAH HIGH LIONS TEAM IN EAST-WEST STADIUM. BILL WAS DRAFTED BY THE CHICAGO CARDINALS IN 1951. THE TEAM LATER BECAME THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS, THEN THE ARIZONA CARDINALS. LESKOVAR WAS A FAIRMONT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYER WHO WAS IN THE NFL LONG BEFORE DARIUS STILLS. I REMEMBER BILL BEING BOOED WHEN KENTUCKY PLAYED WVU IN MOUNTAINEER FIELD BECAUSE HE BYPASSED MORGANTOWN FOR LEXINGTON.
People forget about Frank Brown who Larry Drake sat behind and then shared the backfield with him that undefeated season. Frank was explosive.

As I mentioned Frank Brown was a beast during that era as well. West had a nice dynasty from 57-59 going.

That was almost ten years ago.
Didn't read the article. I was thinking of the mountaineer that had recently died at age of 50. For some reason his name escapes me. Must be Biden disease.

As I mentioned Frank Brown was a beast during that era as well. West had a nice dynasty from 57-59 going.
You are ABSOLUTELY correct about Frank Brown. In fact, he was really as good as Larry Drake but got less acclaim.
They surely did have a dynasty for a few years. Thanks for adding Frank Brown to what I posted (got to admit I left him out because I remambered his last name but had forgotten his first.)

Reactions: WV Bruno
You are ABSOLUTELY correct about Frank Brown. In fact, he was really as good as Larry Drake but got less acclaim.
They surely did have a dynasty for a few years. Thanks for adding Frank Brown to what I posted (got to admit I left him out because I remambered his last name but had forgotten his first.)
He actually had longer td runs than Drake and made 1st team All State before Drake did. One year separated them and Drake did not really shine to after Brown graduated. That fullback was a beast as well. The one who was a state wrestling champion. What a backfield West had for two years. No wonder the only game they lost was a narrow defeat to Winfield in the title game.

He actually had longer td runs than Drake and made 1st team All State before Drake did. One year separated them and Drake did not really shine to after Brown graduated. That fullback was a beast as well. The one who was a state wrestling champion. What a backfield West had for two years. No wonder the only game they lost was a narrow defeat to Winfield in the title game.
Great backfield talent. Then add in the OL, anchored by the Terry brothers. Was Bobby DeLorenzo on this same team? I believe he was and then went on to be with the WVU team for a while (scholarship or walk-on--not sure?).

Great backfield talent. Then add in the OL, anchored by the Terry brothers. Was Bobby DeLorenzo on this same team? I believe he was and then went on to be with the WVU team for a while (scholarship or walk-on--not sure?).
Yes he was.

IT'S CALLED RESEARCH. AND I AN IQ TEST THAT PROVES I'M NOT A DOOFUS UNLESS YOU SPELL IT CERTIFIED GENIUS.

I‘m sorry I didn’t see you list the author/authors from your research. The Professor of my Freshman English Lit class told the class that if we turned in our term paper, mine was a 21 page 97%(highest in class) on the Three Mile Island disaster, without referencing the content origination or authors we would get an F for plagiarism. So you obviously plagiarized the information you slopped up the site with. Very irresponsible of you by not simply providing us with the source of your research.

Again you fail dramatically as a beat writer.

How bout that acknowledgement about how badly I humiliated you when you challenged me. Only an insecure geek can’t congratulate a guy when the dude step up and knocks it out of the park after being challenged.

Hey don’t for get about our bet. You got your 9 and I have everyone else. $4,000 on the line. It will be fun!!! It is only 4 grand. No one gets hurt. I’ll even donate half my winning to Wounded Warriors or The Leukemia Society. Those are my go-to non profits. I also pay for two Haitian siblings to go to school but because of COVID the Haitian Project that a good friend/client helps run did not go on their Haitian retreat this past year. Throw Pitt and Church in there and sometime Pittsburgh Central Catholic.

How bout you troll? You donate anywhere.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I‘m sorry I didn’t see you list the author/authors from your research. The Professor of my Freshman English Lit class told the class that if we turned in our term paper, mine was a 21 page 97%(highest in class) on the Three Mile Island disaster, without referencing the content origination or authors we would get an F for plagiarism. So you obviously plagiarized the information you slopped up the site with. Very irresponsible of you by not simply providing us with the source of your research.

Again you fail dramatically as a beat writer.

How bout that acknowledgement about how badly I humiliated you when you challenged me. Only an insecure geek can’t congratulate a guy when the dude step up and knocks it out of the park after being challenged.

Hey don’t for get about our bet. You got your 9 and I have everyone else. $4,000 on the line. It will be fun!!! It is only 4 grand. No one gets hurt. I’ll even donate half my winning to Wounded Warriors or The Leukemia Society. Those are my go-to non profits. I also pay for two Haitian siblings to go to school but because of COVID the Haitian Project that a good friend/client helps run did not go on their Haitian retreat this past year. Throw Pitt and Church in there and sometime Pittsburgh Central Catholic.

How bout you troll? You donate anywhere.
LMAO...what an assclown....he seems to be having a mental breakdown.

Someone creates a thread about WVU to make them look bad
Then someone else creates conflict to keep it around.
That is better than the dick and ass jokes of Rootmaster.

Let's at least get the message board to high school level. Sounds like middle school but with grown men

Someone creates a thread about WVU to make them look bad
Then someone else creates conflict to keep it around.
That is better than the dick and ass jokes of Rootmaster.

Let's at least get the message board to high school level. Sounds like middle school but with grown men
No matter which one your personas you use you fall back on the same material lol. Yawn.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
ADVERTISEMENT