ADVERTISEMENT

DvlDog ... anybody else that was in combat.

WhiteTailEER

All-American
Jun 17, 2005
It seems like there is an increase in police shootings recently, and I know a lot of people leave the military and join the police force. I have the utmost respect for those that serve and especially those that were in combat, so I absolutely do not mean this as a knock against those that served.

My thinking is that maybe when they leave combat and enter police work that they aren't being "de-programmed" or whatever, and that the dangers involved with police work are similar enough to combat that they are shooting first too much. Almost as if the dangers of combat are carrying over into domestic situations which are quite different but also similar enough to trigger inappropriate actions at times.

I may not be explaining it well enough, but does this seem like a plausible theory given your experiences with combat? Then picturing going from that into police work?

It's possible that none of the cops involved in these shootings even served in the military or saw combat. I haven't seen any correlation of that whatsoever. It's really a shot in the dark kind of theory. It's also very possible that those that saw combat make the best cops because they realize that the dangers aren't anywhere close to being in combat.

Thoughts?

I'd rather a cop have been in the military.

They are paid ridiculously sh*tty salaries also, here a city cop makes about 26K a year.

The similarity ends at the fact both carry a gun while on duty and you are part of large organization, and some danger involved. Policeman's major danger is traffic. Officer may be required to carry while off duty.

SWAT squad would be most nearly like soldier in field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT