ADVERTISEMENT

TROLLING Dumping Country Roads?

Art Selwyn

Redshirting
Sep 30, 2013
I'm hearing that high-level decision makers want to dump Country Roads because of its references to Virginia's geography. The Shenandoah River barely crosses into West Virginia, and the Blue Ridge Mountains are not in West Virginia at all.

The band and stadium speakers instead will feature a lot of The Ballad of John Henry and The West Virginia Hills, which are both about West Virginia and not Virginia.

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2015/11/18/if-only-john-denver-had-a-map-blue-ridge-mountains/

Until you hear it from me........................forget about it. The 'shiny shoes' don't make decisions of this proportion without my approval. Warez

I'm hearing that high-level decision makers want to dump Country Roads because of its references to Virginia's geography. The Shenandoah River barely crosses into West Virginia, and the Blue Ridge Mountains are not in West Virginia at all.

The band and stadium speakers instead will feature a lot of The Ballad of John Henry and The West Virginia Hills, which are both about West Virginia and not Virginia.

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2015/11/18/if-only-john-denver-had-a-map-blue-ridge-mountains/
And you took the time to write this crap instead of doing what?

Reactions: va87eer

Listen to the words retard! He is singing about driving home to "almost heaven, West Virginia" No where in the song does he say that the Blue Ridge Mountains are in West Virginia. They are merely just an obstacle that he has to get through to get home.

I was watching Olympics volleyball other day. USA vs Dutch for Bronze. During timeout, I heard in background of the venue playing a Country Roads remix. Pretty cool.

If it bothers you so much take it up with the writers. They were from Virginia. Besides, though the Blue Ridge Mountains aren't in WV, WV does have many blue ridged mountains. And nowhere in the song is the length of the Shenandoah River mentioned.

Anything is possible as Ole Miss is dumping "Dixie" due to all the PC crap. Manchin did a lot of damage at WVU with him playing de facto president and AD. God only knows what JJ has up his sleeve if he becomes Governor as he is a Moo Tech grad.

As an outsider just stopping by today. I first just want to say that I hope the floods and bad weather has gotten a lot better in your area.. I had heard it was horrific in WV awhile back.
I personally don't mind the song and it's tradition, but obviously the only issue is when you play other teams and start singing that song, it will bug other fans. Why, because it will mean you won the game. But the song itself might be dated but it's a good one in my opinion.

I didn't like it when it came out and I don't like it now. They ought to play something by the late great Hasil Adkins. A life long Boone County resident and international recording star. The Haze played all his own instruments at the same time, both in the studio and on stage. We could all do "The Chicken Walk" in the stands.

If WVU were to play the Toots And The Maytals cover of "Country Roads", I might get behind it. The sappy John Denver version has to go. That weird lookin' lil' SOB made my skin crawl.

Okay, so name the state that the song is about that is a "stranger to blue water." I'll hang up and listen for your explanation.

You can take this to the bank. Country Roads (John Denver's version) ain't going no where. It will continue to be played when appropriate at any and all WV events. The 'shiny shoes' met with me on this one and we nailed it down. Don't believe me? That's fine. Warez

Reactions: torontoeers
If it bothers you so much take it up with the writers. They were from Virginia. Besides, though the Blue Ridge Mountains aren't in WV, WV does have many blue ridged mountains. And nowhere in the song is the length of the Shenandoah River mentioned.

Blue Ridge Mountain, also known as Blue Mountain, is the colloquial name of the westernmost ridge of the Blue Ridge Mountains in northern Virginia and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. The Appalachian Trail traverses the entire length of the mountain along its western slope and crest.

Okay, so name the state that the song is about that is a "stranger to blue water." I'll hang up and listen for your explanation.

What the hell is the Atlantic Ocean doing forming the eastern border of Virginia if the state is "stranger to blue waters"? "Country Roads" is the official state anthem of West Virginia. We own it. One of the co-writers said he changed it to West Virginia to honor an artist friend who always talked about the glories of the state's countryside. The Shenandoah River IS in West Virginia. Not for long, but it is IN the state. So are the Blue Ridge Mountains. Again, not a lot of it, but some of it. Again, we own it. Don't mess with Mountaineers. It's not healthy for you. And I get tears and chills every time I sing it in Mountaineer Field after a WVU victory. You don't see UV doing it. You know, the university in the state that lost the war when West Virginia was on the winning side.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
The term "Blue Ridge" is sometimes applied exclusively to the eastern edge or front range of the Appalachian Mountains.

The Shenandoah River figures prominently in John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads" which associates the river with the state of West Virginia. Only the last 20 miles of the river are in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia; more than 92% of the river and its forks and tributaries flow through Virginia.

The river and its tributaries drain the central and lower Shenandoah Valley and the Page Valley in the Appalachians on the west side of the Blue Ridge Mountains in northwestern Virginia and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

The Blue Ridge Mountains are only mentioned once in the song "Country Roads".

This the mountaineer football anthem no matter what this dolt of a writer wants to believe..

What the hell is the Atlantic Ocean doing forming the eastern border of Virginia if the state is "stranger to blue waters"? "Country Roads" is the official state anthem of West Virginia. We own it. One of the co-writers said he changed it to West Virginia to honor an artist friend who always talked about the glories of the state's countryside. The Shenandoah River IS in West Virginia. Not for long, but it is IN the state. So are the Blue Ridge Mountains. Again, not a lot of it, but some of it. Again, we own it. Don't mess with Mountaineers. It's not healthy for you. And I get tears and chills every time I sing it in Mountaineer Field after a WVU victory. You don't see UV doing it. You know, the university in the state that lost the war when West Virginia was on the winning side.
You nailed it. "Stranger to blue waters" sure as heck is NOT about a state that has as one of its boarders blue waters for hundreds of miles..........

Anything is possible as Ole Miss is dumping "Dixie" due to all the PC crap.

Dumping Dixie had nothing to do with "PC crap". They just finally realized.. the song is about southern white men being so lazy they'd rather die than work their own fields. It was more of a realization and sudden embarrassment than anything.

Dumping Dixie had nothing to do with "PC crap". They just finally realized.. the song is about southern white men being so lazy they'd rather die than work their own fields. It was more of a realization and sudden embarrassment than anything.
I know people who are Ole Miss fans that would disagree with you. I hope you remember your post when the Clintonista's make WVU drop the musket on the Mountaineer in the name of gun control. He already was forbidden to fire the musket when we played our bowl game in Yankee Stadium.

The Mountaineer was told not to fire at a game in 2002, long before Yankee Stadium. If you've been hiding your guns from Hillary for 14 years you got some serious paranoia. I'm more worried about Donnie accidentally hitting the nuke button while firing off a late night tweet than giving up my guns to Hillary. They're both POS if you want the truth about it.

WVU.....EER..............you are subject to be barred from posting for making such a comment. We (the 'shiny shoes') will discuss this and you just may find yourself barred from this website and all WVU events. Warez

I never knew you could shine plow boots? They get a little glimmer on 'em when you do the yearly waterproofing with mink oil, but I can't say I've ever made 'em shine? What's your trick, Warez?

Make him eat a tub of mink oil if he wants to stay. One of my dogs did, I thought that was it for ol' Rattler. After he got over the trots, he was good as new. A flushing of the system might do enginEER a world of good. If it will work for a dog, it will work for a man.

I never knew you could shine plow boots? They get a little glimmer on 'em when you do the yearly waterproofing with mink oil, but I can't say I've ever made 'em shine? What's your trick, Warez?

Make him eat a tub of mink oil if he wants to stay. One of my dogs did, I thought that was it for ol' Rattler. After he got over the trots, he was good as new. A flushing of the system might do enginEER a world of good. If it will work for a dog, it will work for a man.

First let's set the record straight. That feller ain't no enginEER but he do need to get flushed. I know he got the trots from eating to many early spring green apples. Now about the shiny shoes. Ricky Skaggs sings about ...............shining up thru your shoes. I learned from Ricky Skaggs .............the shiny shoes thing. Ricky don't say nuthin about plow boots and how to shine'm.

Hows about you STFU?

All-in-all a successful troll I'd say.

You real sure about that? So, is that the same reason so many other schools 'dumped' Dixie? I think not. Warez

All-in-all a successful troll I'd say.

I thought so. He does it about once a year and it always works.

It must have something to do with what these boys grow out behind the barn messing with their short term memories?

Warez I had to warn my girls about June apples when we moved backed here. Did it work? No. I was glad the new house had a couple-three bathrooms for just such emergencies. "But Dad, they're sweet and sour!" Live and learn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT