ADVERTISEMENT

Do you buy sushi at your local supermarket ??

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
While I certainly wouldn't characterize myself in any manner a sushi connoisseur, I do consume (and enjoy) it on a periodic basis.

Of course, speaking in general terms, it's something far more readily available these days than in the past now that so many supermarkets have added sushi bars (and sushi chefs) to their stores. With that in mind, I picked up a tempura shrimp and crab combo today at my local Kroger store, and have to admit that.....even on Memorial Day.....it really was pretty darn tasty.

If you happen to like sushi, do you purchase (and enjoy) it at your own local grocer in this manner, or are you the type who tends to limit your consumption to (for example) specialty restaurants with the expected wider variety of traditional sushi ingredients ??

While I certainly wouldn't characterize myself in any manner a sushi connoisseur, I do consume (and enjoy) it on a periodic basis.

Of course, speaking in general terms, it's something far more readily available these days than in the past now that so many supermarkets have added sushi bars (and sushi chefs) to their stores. With that in mind, I picked up a tempura shrimp and crab combo today at my local Kroger store, and have to admit that.....even on Memorial Day.....it really was pretty darn tasty.

If you happen to like sushi, do you purchase (and enjoy) it at your own local grocer in this manner, or are you the type who tends to limit your consumption to (for example) specialty restaurants with the expected wider variety of traditional sushi ingredients ??
95% of the sushi I've eaten has come from a franchise inside of a grocery store (Krogers) and it's always been great. I have zero shame about this.

I'm more of a fan of raw fish like salmon, yellowtail, scallop and numerous whitefish either as sashimi or nigiri. I haven't found a grocery chain that has really impressed me with that kind of sushi, but then my search has been limited to Bi-Lo where I opt for sushi rolls like you mentioned.

Buying prepared foods at a grocery store is usually a great option in terms of value and quality in metro Atlanta and many other places I have traveled to. I've never purchased sushi as it isn't something I crave but if there was a reason I needed it, I wouldn't think twice purchasing it at many different grocery store options at my disposal.

I just think of it kind of like getting a burger at McDonald's instead of cooking it out on the grill. It's not the same quality, but you don't expect it to be, either.

I use a minnow trap to catch my bait. You can buy one at any Wal-Mart for under five bucks. Load it up with chicken gizzards and you can catch a pile of crawdads with one. It pays for itself on the first run. If you want to eat minnows that's your business, I'll stick to crawdads and what the minnows haul in, all cooked, thank you very much.

Reactions: old buzzard
ADVERTISEMENT