ADVERTISEMENT

Did my first true egg smoke this weekend

I cook mine on my pellet smoker, but don't do the reverse sear method. I don't see what the fuss is about? I sear on both sides first, close the sear zone and finish.

Or when it's too cold, I'll sear in cast iron (both sides) and transfer to oven to finish.

At what outside temp does a pellet stove start to underperform? I've not gone below 35 degrees thinking it could not keep the heat.

What temp and time. Did you use BGE charcoal?
The butt I did 225. It cooked for 12 hrs and rested for 2. Ribs were also 225, I put those on at noon and pulled them at 6. Let them rest an hour. I think I overcooked them. Smoke ring was to the bone.

The butt I did 225. It cooked for 12 hrs and rested for 2. Ribs were also 225, I put those on at noon and pulled them at 6. Let them rest an hour. I think I overcooked them. Smoke ring was to the bone.
I would suggest going on YouTube and watching various how to videos. Lot of different methods of smoking every meat known. I have my favorites but I take tips and tricks from many sources.

Did a pork butt and 2 racks of ribs. Pork butt ended up being one of the best I’ve ever had. Beat the hell out of all the local stuff. Ribs still need some work. I wrapped the butt coming out of the stall. I didn’t wrap the ribs. I will next time. Did a 5 cheese Mac n cheese in a Dutch oven finished off on the egg while the butt and ribs were resting. Also did our signature collards. Fantastic results. I love this egg.
Do your ribs comp style and see how you like them. I have a PK that I do all of my grilling on and a Shirley Fabrication 24x36 stick burner for all of my smoking needs.

At what outside temp does a pellet stove start to underperform? I've not gone below 35 degrees thinking it could not keep the heat.
Honestly don’t know. For regular grills it does fine in the 20s. For a long smoke? Not sure

I would suggest going on YouTube and watching various how to videos. Lot of different methods of smoking every meat known. I have my favorites but I take tips and tricks from many sources.
I’ve been watching a bunch. I’ve found guys like Aaron Franklin while extremely knowledgeable, obviously, they’re talking at a 10,000 ft level when I still need help in the minutia.

I’ve been watching a bunch. I’ve found guys like Aaron Franklin while extremely knowledgeable, obviously, they’re talking at a 10,000 ft level when I still need help in the minutia.
Franklin is very good in my book but he uses smokers with an offset heat box similar to what I use. His brisket technique is A+ for Texas style.

I learned smoking from my friend that passed in May. At the church we belonged to for over 20 years, we had a weekend church outing and fundraiser where we smoked 300 pork butts, 150 briskets, 400 chickens and cases of our bbq sauce. He was head pit master and we literally started on Thursday afternoon running through Sunday making all these items nonstop. Lot of beer drinking and just pure fun with a great group of guys. I miss those days as the last one was in the mid 2000's but the experience of how to handle meat was invaluable.

Malcom Reed with Howtobbqright has a great YouTube page. His killer hogs rubs are awesome and he just picked up a deal with Walmart. You can now buy his The BBQ Rub there.

I am not a fan of the egg type grills, not slamming them just there is nothing I can do on them I can't do on the weber kettle. Wish I could post the pics but some pork shoulders. ribs and other meats come out so well on the weber. I think the pit barrel is a rib machine really don't think anything can touch it. If doing a turkey or a prime rib nothing beats the big easy. I never season good meat much, salt, pepper and garlic

Reactions: WVUBRU
I am not a fan of the egg type grills, not slamming them just there is nothing I can do on them I can't do on the weber kettle. Wish I could post the pics but some pork shoulders. ribs and other meats come out so well on the weber. I think the pit barrel is a rib machine really don't think anything can touch it. If doing a turkey or a prime rib nothing beats the big easy. I never season good meat much, salt, pepper and garlic
I agree fully. I have my Weber gas grill which I use the most. Made burgers and grilled veggies last night as we had my youngest daughter home for Christmas break and her boyfriend. Then I have my Weber kettle which I absolutely love for charcoal grilling steaks and I also smoke in it. Last weekend, I smoked pork country ribs in it. Then I have my homemade barrel for larger smoking tasks. I use basic Kingsford charcoal for both the Kettle and the smoker as the main heat source. And yes, with good meat I also don't use anything but salt, pepper and granulated garlic. But again, I am a proponent of it being an individual's choice and enjoy whatever one enjoys. I use plenty of marinades and rubs, it just depends on what I am cooking and what mood I am in.

Malcom Reed with Howtobbqright has a great YouTube page. His killer hogs rubs are awesome and he just picked up a deal with Walmart. You can now buy his The BBQ Rub there.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been watching some of his as well. So far my favorite has been Ray Sheehan the BBQ Buddha.

Reactions: denvEER

I do a 3-2-1 method with my ribs.

3 hours on with just rub at 275.
Take off, wrap in foil, drizzle with brown sugar, honey and a cup of apple juice. Back on grill for 2 hours at 275.
Take off, unwrap foil and cover in barbeque sauce of choice. Back on grill for another 45 minutes to hour at 275.
I usually check the temp to be sure I'm hitting my goals.

Reactions: bamaEER
I learned smoking from my friend that passed in May. At the church we belonged to for over 20 years, we had a weekend church outing and fundraiser where we smoked 300 pork butts, 150 briskets, 400 chickens and cases of our bbq sauce. He was head pit master and we literally started on Thursday afternoon running through Sunday making all these items nonstop. Lot of beer drinking and just pure fun with a great group of guys. I miss those days as the last one was in the mid 2000's but the experience of how to handle meat was invaluable.
Wow....that is one hell of a deal. Those things are a lot of fun and a lot of work.

I'm also not a fan of the egg type grills......My electric smoker work very well I can control the heat easily and precisely......I use a wireless duel probe....one in the meat and one in the smoker. When I grill I don't have wait 20 minutes for the grill to get hot. I can have one inch ribeyes off my infrared grill 10 minutes from when I turn the burners on.

I'm also not a fan of the egg type grills......My electric smoker work very well I can control the heat easily and precisely......I use a wireless duel probe....one in the meat and one in the smoker. When I grill I don't have wait 20 minutes for the grill to get hot. I can have one inch ribeyes off my infrared grill 10 minutes from when I turn the burners on.
If you don't mind, can you share the type of duel probe you use? The one I had for years died two years ago and I've yet to find exactly what I want. Thanks.

If you don't mind, can you share the type of duel probe you use? The one I had for years died two years ago and I've yet to find exactly what I want. Thanks.
Thermo Pro TP-20.......Amazon has it for 56.99 with free shipping and has plenty of reviews. For some reason it would not let me post the Amazon link.

Thanks. Still not exactly what I'm looking for but I will check it out in a store.

I would agree. One thing I would do on the BGE is a cheaper roast like a bottom round, make a Baltimore pit beef style roast. F'ing awesome sandwiches. The BGE is perfect for it as you can keep a higher temp, get flare ups to char it and still get just a little smoke on it. Use a drip pan to catch some of the drippings and add it to an awesome au jus. Can also turn it into Italian Beef's if one prefer Chicago style beef sandwiches to Baltimore style. Can also do Buffalo Beef on Wick sandwhiches. Potential is unlimited.
I did a bottom round on my pit boss pellet grill last summer - family was away and had some friends over for poker night. That was my first attempt at that cut, and it turned out really well. I pulled it when it was around 130-135 internal temp, let it rest for a while, sliced it thin.

Back to the OP, I smoked a pork butt for the first time about a month ago. It took a while, similar to brisket, but it was awesome. I used a McCormack rub that I found in the grocery store - I don't have it handy, but it included brown sugar. That added a nice sweetness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT