ADVERTISEMENT

Did Beilein blow it?

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
If what I have read is true (JB wanted the job for 3 years, he wanted to bring Patrick in as one of his assistants and he wanted Patrick to take over when he retired) then JB went about this in a really stupid way. By making this a requirement up front, there was no way that WVU could accept. No rational AD would have a gun put to his head in this manner.

But what if JB had stepped in to the role for 3 years. He then, as head coach, could have brought Patrick in as an assistant. If he wins big over his 3 year tenure, he could slowly groom Patrick as his logical successor, in the minds of the administration, the big donors and the fans. He would have a huge voice in his replacement commensurate with his influence and power gained over the 3 years as a very successful head coach. There would be no guarantee that Patrick would get the job but my guess is that Patrick would have stood a very good chance. All that JB would have needed to do is what he did before, win.

But JB wanted it all up front and guaranteed. That was never going to happen and now Patrick is stuck in his current role. All of this is, of course, predicated on what I have read as being true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News