ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Culver selects West Virginia.

Warren (Oh.) Harding power forward Derek Culver has been one of the top targets for West Virginia in the class of 2017 and the Rivals100 prospect committed to the Mountaineers at his high school Tuesday.

Culver, 6-foot-10, 230-pounds, is rated as the No. 51 prospect nationally and has been a top target for West Virginia since the Mountaineers first entered into the picture of his recruitment as one of the first schools to extend a scholarship offer as a sophomore.

He selected West Virginia over offers from Arizona, Kansas, Indiana, Florida, Connecticut, Illinois, North Carolina State, Purdue, Iowa and Illinois, among many others.

Overall, Culver gives the Mountaineers a major addition to its current class and is the highest rated prospect by Rivals.com since Devin Ebanks was rated as the No. 11 prospect nationally in 2008.

Assistant coach Erik Martin served as the lead recruiter for Culver, while head coach Bob Huggins also played a pivotal role personally recruiting the standout big-man throughout the course of the process.

Originally from Memphis, Tennessee, Culver gives West Virginia another major addition from the state of Ohio under head coach Bob Huggins following in the footsteps of several others such as Devin Williams, Elijah Macon and Esa Ahmad in recent years.

The Rivals.com four-star prospect is a tenacious rebounder that also is effective as a rim protector. On the offensive end of the floor, he has the ability to use both hands and is a versatile prospect.

Culver made multiple visits to West Virginia and becomes the second commitment in the 2017 class joining Chatham (Va.) Hargrave Military Academy point guard Brandon Knapper. The class could have several more additions.

WVSports.com will have more with Culver in the near future.

It's a red flag, Buzzkill. Precious few Top 100 ranked basketball recruits from the State of Ohio don't receive offers from Ohio State.

Esa Ahmad
Class of 2015
Shaker Heights
Cleveland, OH
Rivals #72 in the nation
Ohio State offer - yes
Ohio State commit - no

Bob guaranteed Ahmad a starting role (and kept his word), but Thad wouldn't. Ahmad's numbers speak volumes about the foolishness of Bob's unbroken promise to Esa. Oh, and TWO of Ohio State's 2016 class, Micah Potter and Derek Funderburk, chose Thad over Thuggy Bear. Game, set, and match, but thanks for playing!

It's a red flag, Buzzkill. Precious few Top 100 ranked basketball recruits from the State of Ohio don't receive offers from Ohio State.
OSU has one commitment who has offers from XU, OSU and Iowa. Of course Culver has 20 plus offers including Nova and Kansas.

c'mon guys... Cincy, Xavier and Dayton are the teams that Dance in Ohio...

quit making fun of the clown...

This guy is a THUG, which is why most schools passed on him. You'll soon see. This isn't the first recruit we've had to witness where you drunktards brag and pound your puny chests, only to see them flame out a year down the road. I guess this is better than the typical Thuggins recruit that has a long criminal record. What ever became of that guy that you boys told us would be an All American and lottery pick? Didn't he end up at Texas Southern, or back in the pen? What happened to the criminal that transferred in from Rhode Island? I recall a lot of chest thumping back then as well.

Bottom line: Thuggins has no national titles, and likely never will.

There's a reason he's still not in the HOF.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Ha ha, the delusional WVU fans are running amok on here. Ohio State has missed the NCAA Tournament once in the past eight seasons. How about WVU? Thuggy went 13-19 and 19-14 in back-to-back seasons. Thad Matta's teams never have won fewer than 20 games. Keep smokin' the hippie lettuce, Fold & Blew fans!

This guy is a THUG, which is why most schools passed on him. You'll soon see. This isn't the first recruit we've had to witness where you drunktards brag and pound your puny chests, only to see them flame out a year down the road. I guess this is better than the typical Thuggins recruit that has a long criminal record. What ever became of that guy that you boys told us would be an All American and lottery pick? Didn't he end up at Texas Southern, or back in the pen? What happened to the criminal that transferred in from Rhode Island? I recall a lot of chest thumping back then as well.

Spot on post. Aaric Murray and Jonathan Holton are the two characters to whom you have referred. Google, "Robert Whaley" some time to see the kind of guy Thugs recruits.

Ha ha, the delusional WVU fans are running amok on here. Ohio State has missed the NCAA Tournament once in the past eight seasons. How about WVU? Thuggy went 13-19 and 19-14 in back-to-back seasons. Thad Matta's teams never have won fewer than 20 games. Keep smokin' the hippie lettuce, Fold & Blew fans!

So you have no evidence at all that Huggins promised a starting role to Esa during recruitment?

I'm shocked.

Wow another moronic post little bitch. Culver's offer list includes North Carolina, Arizona, NC State, U Conn, Indiana, Florida and Kansas just to name a few. I realize you are not that sharpest pencil in the box but there are a lot of blue bloods there. 0-12 Bottom line is MVU has never beat WVU and they never will.

So you have no evidence at all that Huggins promised a starting role to Esa during recruitment?

I'm shocked.
Plenty of rumors, but evidence? Take a look at the number of starts that Ahmad made, and Ahmad's other numbers. That's all of the evidence that a non-delusional WVU fan should need.

Plenty of rumors, but evidence? Take a look at the number of starts that Ahmad made, and Ahmad's other numbers. That's all of the evidence that a non-delusional WVU fan should need.

How is that evidence? A 18 year old kid earned a spot as a starter but wasn't relied upon to score 25 a game. None of our starters were asked to score 25 a game. Were they promised to start, as well?

Your bball coach is done btw . He's not recruiting much . He will be out at the end of the year

How did thad do head to head against Huggs?

Michigan moron. I know you admitted to being a minority due to having an IQ below the freezing mark, but even Corky would have known that.
So you are a fan of Michigan and are on a WVU smack board ?

I actually have 15 teams. UM, Herd, WVU's 12 regular season opponents, and 1 other if they get lucky and make it to an after midnight bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT