ADVERTISEMENT

Defending WVU is like trying to stop all the leaks in a garden hose!

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Trying to stop this WVU team reminds me of cartoons where the character goes from leak to leak in a garden hose!

Who do you stop?

Culver, who kills everyone guarding him in the paint, and fouls out big man after big man?

McBride, a dribbling dervish and 3-point sharpshooter?

McNeil, who can drill a 3 from outer space?

Sherman, who is unpredictable as to where he’ll kill you?

Taze Sherman had 23 points COMING OFF THE BENCH as #10 WVU shrugged off TCU, 74-66, including double-digit leads most of the game. WVU trailed, but only early in the 1st half. After that it was catch-up situation for the Horny Frogs.

Culver had 14 rebounds, 11 on defense. TCU gets a shot, WVU gets the rebound if the ball doesn’t go in.

Culver had 18 points, 15 in the first half, mainly because he missed EIGHT free throws. But a bulk of TCU’s 23 personal fouls were used by trying to stop Culver.

WVU had only 14 fouls. Even though this is an aggressive team Huggins Heroes regularly foul less than their opponents because they are SMART and aggressive.

Miles Deuce McGride had 11 points even though he uncharacteristicly missed ALL FOUR 3-point shots.

Again, who do you stop when you play WVU? Stopping everybody is almost impossible because, if you overplay one hot hand you set up another.

This is WVU’s SEVENTH straight road victory in the Big 12, the toughest conference in America this season! That is an awesome achievement, something the Mountaineers haven’t done since 1989, even in weaker conferences. It speaks volumes about the stamina and condition of this team, thanks to Huggins’ rigorous practices. The games seem much easier by comparison.

Thursday’s game at Baylor, unfortunately, has been scrubbed. COVID again. Baylor will come to Morgantown at 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 2 for what should be a Godzilla vs. King Kong matchup!

I LOVE this season’s team better than any in quite a while and that’s saying a lot because WVU has had some awesome teams, including a Final Four team.

Next victim: Kansas State, 4 p.m. Saturday in Morgantown.

Reactions: Stan Kiser
Well TCU did a pretty good job at stopping WVU last night. Simlly by putting Culver at the line and guarding the perimeter.

@ KU - L
@ OU - L
@ OSU - W
@ KSU - W
@ ISU- W
@ TTU - W
@ Texas - W
@ TCU - W

That's 6 straight princes.

But, more importantly, they lost. Even with Culver missing free throws he gets so many that he often makes more than other players. Again, the positives instead of the negatives. WVU is SO MUCH BETTER with Culver in the game than without Culver, although Huggins wisely subs 3 for Culver during free throw shooting so that WVU's defense is better. But Culver makes WVU's offense tons better, for points, for rebounds, for fouling out opposing players, even the star players. This team has as good a chance at winning March Madness as any team not named Gonzaga or Baylor! I LOVE this team! Go, alma mater!

Culver and Sherman made the most free throws (6) for WVU against TCU.

No TCU player made more than 5.

Even with his misses Culver is more valuable shooting free throws than anyone else. Well, tied with Taz.

Culver and Sherman made the most free throws (6) for WVU against TCU.

No TCU player made more than 5.

Even with his misses Culver is more valuable shooting free throws than anyone else. Well, tied with Taz.
Sherman was 8-9 and Culver was 6-14 from the charity stripe vs. TCU. I think that you have mistaken field goals made for free throws made.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
But, more importantly, they lost. Even with Culver missing free throws he gets so many that he often makes more than other players. Again, the positives instead of the negatives. WVU is SO MUCH BETTER with Culver in the game than without Culver, although Huggins wisely subs 3 for Culver during free throw shooting so that WVU's defense is better. But Culver makes WVU's offense tons better, for points, for rebounds, for fouling out opposing players, even the star players. This team has as good a chance at winning March Madness as any team not named Gonzaga or Baylor! I LOVE this team! Go, alma mater!

So if Culver goes 10 of 30 from the foul line it's a good thing. So all these times we thought we lost games because of missed free throws. Dang that wasn't the case at all.

Sherman was 8-9 and Culver was 6-14 from the charity stripe vs. TCU. I think that you have mistaken field goals made for free throws made.
YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT. MY PAINT POINT HOLDS. THAT EVEN MISSING FREE THROWS DEREK MAKES MORE FREE THROWS THAN JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY IN THE GAME FOR BOTH TEAMS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT