El~Scronko

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
STL
The Great American Menu: Foods Of The States, Ranked And Mapped

193i6vu0pph9ejpg.jpg

29. Corndog (Iowa)
Who doesn't love a corndog? Nobody, that's who, and also idiots.

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

Reactions: old buzzard
I enjoyed the article, thanks for posting it. I agree with the author that Cincinnati chili belongs at the bottom of the list. I had heard so much about it that when I found it in the freezer aisle at Wal-Mart I bought it. It was horrible. I gave it the benefit of the doubt since a lot of things don't translate well in mass production. The next time I saw it was at a food concession stand in northern Kentucky not far from Cincinnati, and it was supposedly the famous Skyline Chili. It was just as bad as the frozen one I had tried earlier. Maybe it's one of those acquired tastes.......I can't see me eating enough of it to learn to like it.

Reactions: copelvr20
I used to spend a couple of weeks in Cincy during the summers attending a basketball camp my cousin had at Withrow HS and another at UC in the b.c. era (before Catlett) when I was in junior high and HS. Skyline Chili was bad at the original place, it's worse now.

I did discover White Castle out there, so it wasn't a total loss.

Those Withrow camps were rough, inner city school, inner city ball. I'd come home just before football season with lumps all over me. Devin Williams is a typical Withrow player. Knock the living crap out of you to get that ball.

I mentioned some foods not getting a fair shake when they are mass produced and frozen. White Castle is an exception. I had never been to a White Castle but I had heard of them so when I saw them offered locally in the freezer aisle I was anxious to give them a try. It wasn't good, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt until I finally got to visit a White Castle joint. To my surprise the ones they cook fresh taste exactly like the frozen ones. Freshly cooked or frozen, White Castle burgers just aren't good IMHO.

Last edited:
I was soooo excited to try skyline for the first time about 6 years ago. Biggest disappointment of my life maybe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT