ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Darian DeVries Big 12 Media Days Recap

wesleyshoemaker

Junior
Staff
May 21, 2024
Rundown of what DDV said during Big 12 Media Day Press Conference

He's excited to be in Morgantown but it's been a journey to get here considering roster construction took a while due to there being only one returning player — "We're just excited to get started. It's been a long process taking over a job that had one returning player."

He said they're still figuring out travel as they go but they are going to feel things out as the season goes along. He recognizes this is the first time for him as well as his staff.
He said the Big 12 has lots of great atmospheres and he's looking forward to the challenges playing in this league will bring

When building a roster he didn't want to rush on putting guys together but wanted to build it their way. — "I know I told our staff the same thing we wanted to make sure we didn’t get in a hurry just to put a roster together"

On Tucker, DDV said there were conversations but Tucker put his faith in him when he landed at a new school. — "I would say for the most part he was going to come but it was conversations we had prior to that.. He obviously put a lot of faith in me in finding a spot he felt our family could be happy and I know he’s certainly excited about this opportunity"

As NIL continues to evolve he is going to have to change with it and grow while the sport and collegiate landscape grow.

on ESPN+ Set

Loves the way the roster shaped up even with the late start because of the change

Said it's been an incredible journey with Tucker and they're excited to have fun together on their last ride. His days at Creighton helped give insight into a father/son on-court relationship

Wants to have a fun style of play and is seeing his group really enjoy playing the game.

DDV is high on Javon Small and his Big 12 experience but also how he spreads the ball and hopes people are going to see him in a different way than they previously have

Says KU to open B12 play is his welcome to the Big 12 moment — "tremendous challenge to open up Big 12 play and my first game as a Big 12 coach"

Reactions: MoTownWV and Vernon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.