ADVERTISEMENT

D gives up 100 offensive plays...

AZeer

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
AZ
I have a real concern with out defense. We let them run 100 plays for over 4.5 yards per play! They have the worst offensive that we will see all year. Try to spin it any way you want, but against the high powered B12 offenses....

I have a real concern with out defense. We let them run 100 plays for over 4.5 yards per play! They have the worst offensive that we will see all year. Try to spin it any way you want, but against the high powered B12 offenses....

we played a lot of people and factored into this is two long missouri drives that were against our 2nd and 3rdstring.

100 plays at the pace they were playing (probably one of the fastest i've ever seen), and still only scored 3 points on our first team defense? That says that we have some tremendous conditioning on defense for our players to keep up with that.

Reactions: WVURobinHood
had we recovered the onside kick and run out the clock, those numbers would look a lot better. But your point is still a good one.

Over time, those extra plays lead to a few more injuries (or nicks and bruises at least) which add up over 12-13 games.

Lgm!

They may have the worst offense we will see all year but they also might have the best defense we will see all year and we racked up 495 yards a number they haven't given up since the 2014 sec championship game. TCU was supposed to be the best defense in the Big 12 and they where still trading punches with South Dakota state in 4th quarter. I would rather be talking about missed pass plays, inefficient play in the red zone than trying to sugar coat giving up 41 points to South Dakota state or in OU's case trying to explain how the supposed #3 team in the country got exposed by team that doesn't recruit nearly as well as them and plays in the american conference.

Reactions: GoWVU
100 plays at the pace they were playing (probably one of the fastest i've ever seen), and still only scored 3 points on our first team defense? That says that we have some tremendous conditioning on defense for our players to keep up with that.

Nothing wrong with playing fast to keep a defense on its heels, but I think Mizzou went a little too fast for their own good yesterday.

Yeah, I know. I mean, our defensive scheme alone should have scared them out of their fast-paced offensive game plan and should have forced them to huddle.....;)

Wouldn't this be a concern for our OFFENSE more than the defense? I mean, if the offense could have sustained drives and punched in TD's instead of FG's then the game isn't 26-11.....it's probably 48-10.....and you still would be bitching......[thumbsup]

Yeah, I know. I mean, our defensive scheme alone should have scared them out of their fast-paced offensive game plan and should have forced them to huddle.....;)

Wouldn't this be a concern for our OFFENSE more than the defense? I mean, if the offense could have sustained drives and punched in TD's instead of FG's then the game isn't 26-11.....it's probably 48-10.....and you still would be bitching......[thumbsup]
I don't think it'd been that far apart of a score, but more like 34-3, 34-10 or so. Our offense played as good as one could with a dinged-up QB, first game of the season with new faces, and against an SEC team. We will know more after BYU.

how many plays are too many plays?

in looking at the statistics they didn't execute on key plays such as 3rd and 4th down conversions (our 3rd down conversion wasn't that great as well) and two missed FGs. They had a lot of plays compared to us but didn't do much with them for various reasons. Personally, I'm not worried about a number but rather what is done with that number. They didn't do much to score with all those plays which, to me, makes the number of plays really insignificant.

I don't think it'd been that far apart of a score, but more like 34-3, 34-10 or so. Our offense played as good as one could with a dinged-up QB, first game of the season with new faces, and against an SEC team. We will know more after BYU.

BYU's offense was more inefficient than ours they could only score 18 points against a weak Arizona defense.

Didn't we win a game running 100 plays not to long ago? Scored way more than 11 points also. Not sure your argument means what you think it means.

D-line played great against the run...a little more pressure on the QB would have been a plus.

The secondary is going to need to improve. Good first game for them though... ...but there were obvious flaws. Some exposed while others, if not fixed, will be by better competition.

I am pretty happy. We gave up 3 points, plus a meaningless TD with Scrubs in. We turned the ball over inside our 10 yard line and shut them down.

Missouri had 180 yards in the 4th. Mostly against backups so the ypp against our starters was much lower and our starters didnt play 100 plays. That is not spin.

Reactions: BigLickMountee
I liked it more than I found things to bitch about. Way better than 1. getting embarrassed, 2. losing by a couple of TD's. 3. Losing by a field goal 4. losing by 1 pt via a 2 pt conversion, 5. Barely hanging on to win by a long field goal in overtime. 6 barely beating a team from a conference nobody has head of. 7. Losing to a team from a conference nobody has ever heard of.

100 plays?

53 - pass attempts 24/53 45% completion pct. with 41.1 QBR / 5.3 yds per pass
47 Rush attempts 3.3 rushing
100 plays 4.2 per play
8 of those plays after the onside kick
Makes 92 / take of the 48 yards and you have 374 yards total

WVU had 85 plays 494 yds

Crying about the 100 plays is unjustified.

They run a hurry up offense. They are going to run a lot of plays.

Here's a more important stat. They scored 11 points.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
ALL around looked like a pretty solid effort against a decent opponent - especially for Game 1

It took Missouri 100 plays to get THREE POINTS against the WVU first team defense. Sounds pretty impressive to me. I seriously doubt that the Big 12 defenses will be as good. I know, the Big 12 offenses will be better. But they can't score when WVU has the ball, barring fumbles, passes slipping out of the QB's hands, or interceptions. I think I covered all the bases on that one. :sunglasses:

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O bliterate Youngstown

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

So now we give up "plays" instead of yards? Who cares how many palys they run if they can't score. Some people just gotta focus on the negative, we are 1 and 0 and beat an SEC team, nuff said.

Congrats on beating Misery. Only wish you guys had not let them score that last meaningless TD. That would have been more indicative of how lopsided the game really was.

Missouri got 8 extra plays due to onside kick along with 45 plus yards. WVU had about 85. So take away the onside kick and WVU probably has the same or more.

If this holds true "Greatest improvement between first and second game." How would you rate the D's improvement?

Gave up over 70 plays, 21 points and over 400 yards of total offense to an FCS team that many times used the whole clock before running a play.

By the way I don't put much credence in the "Greatest improvement... thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT