ADVERTISEMENT

Curious what you

BurninDownTheCouch

All-Conference
Jan 16, 2006
Saint Albans
Marshall guys think. Since you're on our board, what are your regular season win predictions for the World Champ WVU Mountaineers football team this season? Now..... It's difficult when you're playing 3 top 25 teams plus VaTech, KSU, Baylor, and TCU(all of those on the road), but I'm sure you guys can come up with a reasonable 12 game regular win total. Let's see how your bias reflects into the final totals.

That may be difficult for the Herdiots to answer since their team has never played more than a couple of P-5 programs in any one given year. Oh, and lest I forget, their all time record against opponents considered "major" is 7-34, so comprehending a big boy schedule may be asking too much of them.

Marshall guys think. Since you're on our board, what are your regular season win predictions for the World Champ WVU Mountaineers football team this season? Now..... It's difficult when you're playing 3 top 25 teams plus VaTech, KSU, Baylor, and TCU(all of those on the road), but I'm sure you guys can come up with a reasonable 12 game regular win total. Let's see how your bias reflects into the final totals.
6-6 at worst, best 7-5. Tough opener with VPI.

WOW.... I'll give Tony a lot of credit. He's the only Marshall fan/WVU hater with an opinion. I'm sure others have opinions too but don't want to be honest. Although I think Tony's prognostication is low and pessimistic, it reflects his negativity toward WVU and I respect that. To be silent is to acknowledge you feel WVU is pretty darn good this year. If you pick low(like Tony) you're confident you're wrong. If you pick high.....well, you just cannot pick high given WVU's SOS, even though you feel it.

Although WVU's schedule is annually pretty difficult, this year is WVU's odd year for tough road games, WVU's talent is undeniable. Kyle Bosch, WVU offensive guard and transfer from Michigan, said he has never seen so much talent and depth at the RB and WR position anywhere he's been, including Michigan. WVU's QB is top shelf tequila. Barring injury to Grier, I see 9+ wins for WVU. I just wish we had our most explosive LB for the start of the season. Last year I said WVU would win 10 games. With a bowl win, WVU will again have a legit opportunity at a 10 win season. WVU's depth is just now getting to upper P5 standards. It's taken a while, but it's getting there.

Oklahoma on the road is always a tough game considering Oklahoma was 102-9 under Stoops at home. Couple that with @TCU, @Baylor, @Kansas St. Neutral with Va Tech, and home with 2 top 25 teams in Oklahoma St., and Texas and I can understand Tony's assessment. However, that's giving WVU no credit, which I also totally expected. I can also understand why WVU football is so exciting.

Reactions: old buzzard
WOW.... I'll give Tony a lot of credit. He's the only Marshall fan/WVU hater with an opinion. I'm sure others have opinions too but don't want to be honest. Although I think Tony's prognostication is low and pessimistic, it reflects his negativity toward WVU and I respect that. To be silent is to acknowledge you feel WVU is pretty darn good this year. If you pick low(like Tony) you're confident you're wrong. If you pick high.....well, you just cannot pick high given WVU's SOS, even though you feel it.

Although WVU's schedule is annually pretty difficult, this year is WVU's odd year for tough road games, WVU's talent is undeniable. Kyle Bosch, WVU offensive guard and transfer from Michigan, said he has never seen so much talent and depth at the RB and WR position anywhere he's been, including Michigan. WVU's QB is top shelf tequila. Barring injury to Grier, I see 9+ wins for WVU. I just wish we had our most explosive LB for the start of the season. Last year I said WVU would win 10 games. With a bowl win, WVU will again have a legit opportunity at a 10 win season. WVU's depth is just now getting to upper P5 standards. It's taken a while, but it's getting there.

Oklahoma on the road is always a tough game considering Oklahoma was 102-9 under Stoops at home. Couple that with @TCU, @Baylor, @Kansas St. Neutral with Va Tech, and home with 2 top 25 teams in Oklahoma St., and Texas and I can understand Tony's assessment. However, that's giving WVU no credit, which I also totally expected. I can also understand why WVU football is so exciting.

Solid post, but probably one that most Herdiots that post here won't understand. The concept of playing a P-5 schedule week in and week out is far beyond their ability to comprehend.

Reactions: BurninDownTheCouch

The VPI tilt is crucial to WVU if they want to play on New Year's Day. Not saying you boys can't beat the Hokies but I expect it to be a tight game that could go either way! If the Mounties lose the opener 7-5 would have to be considered a decent year.

Solid post, but probably one that most Herdiots that post here won't understand. The concept of playing a P-5 schedule week in and week out is far beyond their ability to comprehend.
Yes, Kansas and ISU, back to back, strikes fear into any lucid college football fan!

Yes, Kansas and ISU, back to back, strikes fear into any lucid college football fan!

I see your sarcasm but the truth is that if Marshall were to beat either one of those teams Herdiots would mark it down as one of their biggest wins in program history. Then their all-time record against major teams would be 8-34 instead of 7-34 as it now stands.

I see your sarcasm but the truth is that if Marshall were to beat either one of those teams Herdiots would mark it down as one of their biggest wins in program history. Then their all-time record against major teams would be 8-34 instead of 7-34 as it now stands.
Kansas beating South Dakota State " stops the presses" so beating the Herd would be the upset of the 21st century.

Kansas beating South Dakota State " stops the presses" so beating the Herd would be the upset of the 21st century.

Sorry Tony, but any P-5, including Kansas and Iowa State beating Marshall would not be considered an upset. As I've mentioned several times before, Marshall has only played major teams 41 times in program history and lost 34 of those games. Of the 7 times Marshall won one of those games the only quality win was over a pretty good Kansas State team several years ago - and that was considered an upset.

Sorry Tony, but any P-5, including Kansas and Iowa State beating Marshall would not be considered an upset. As I've mentioned several times before, Marshall has only played major teams 41 times in program history and lost 34 of those games. Of the 7 times Marshall won one of those games the only quality win was over a pretty good Kansas State team several years ago - and that was considered an upset.
Kansas beating my Mom's bridge club would shake Vegas to it's very core!

According to the coaches poll, we're now playing 4 top 25 teams. Seems about right for a Flagship. We win 9.

I wonder if Marshall has ever played 4 top 25 teams in their entire history, let alone in a single season. Tony, MichiganHerd, maybe one of you can provide the answer if you aren't too embarrassed........

Nine wins is now the ceiling? I remember when Bill Stewart (RIP) was fired (and subsequent died of a broken heart) when he won nine games, three years in a row.

Nine wins is now the ceiling? I remember when Bill Stewart (RIP) was fired (and subsequent died of a broken heart) when he won nine games, three years in a row.
I'd have to bet under on the nine ( 9) wins. Don't think Grier will remotely make anyone forget Pat White!

Pre season rankings could perhaps be the most worthless opinion poll in existence.

I agree with that, but some people eat that stuff up. Case in point - about this time last year Herdiots were proclaiming Marshall to be the "new flagship" based on the fact that they were "also receiving votes" in one of the pre season polls and followed it up by going 3-9 for the year.

Earlier in the summer there were sites already projecting bowl game match ups two months before any team had opened camp for the upcoming season.

All worthless in my opinion but it does generate click bait and ad sales for the pollsters.

I agree with that, but some people eat that stuff up. Case in point - about this time last year Herdiots were proclaiming Marshall to be the "new flagship" based on the fact that they were "also receiving votes" in one of the pre season polls and followed it up by going 3-9 for the year.

Earlier in the summer there were sites already projecting bowl game match ups two months before any team had opened camp for the upcoming season.

All worthless in my opinion but it does generate click bait and ad sales for the pollsters.
Buzz, something we agree on, some will preform much worse than expected and some will play better than the "experts" envision.

Buzz, something we agree on, some will preform much worse than expected and some will play better than the "experts" envision.

A real negative effect of the the pre season polls is that if a team isn't ranked by the so-called experts before the season begins, it is difficult for that team to climb up in the rankings as the season progresses. It would be much more fair to all involved if no rankings were released until the middle of the season. I never take polls seriously until then anyway.

A real negative effect of the the pre season polls is that if a team isn't ranked by the so-called experts before the season begins, it is difficult for that team to climb up in the rankings as the season progresses. It would be much more fair to all involved if no rankings were released until the middle of the season. I never take polls seriously until then anyway.
That's true...if Kansas shocks the world by going 11-1 and winning the Big 12 they'd probably get hosed in the back room come playoff time.

Just glanced over at the schedule, and all I know for sure is that I can 100% give the cousins at least one win. Delaware State may be the 2nd best team in the state of Delaware, but I don't see them being much of a match for the cousins.

Just glanced over at the schedule, and all I know for sure is that I can 100% give the cousins at least one win. Delaware State may be the 2nd best team in the state of Delaware, but I don't see them being much of a match for the cousins.
I give the misguided Cousins wins over ECU, Delaware State, Kansas and ISU...after that it gets a bit more nebulous, IMHO!

I give the misguided Cousins wins over ECU, Delaware State, Kansas and ISU...after that it gets a bit more nebulous, IMHO!
I can almost agree with your prognostication, but I'm not ready to give the cousins the win over Kansas. I watched in great humility a few years back, when the Jayhawks paraded the goal posts to the river bank.

I can almost agree with your prognostication, but I'm not ready to give the cousins the win over Kansas. I watched in great humility a few years back, when the Jayhawks paraded the goal posts to the river bank.
Hahahahahaha....brutal!

That was definitely a milestone win for the Jayhawks and not a good day to be a Mountaineer. A win that is etched in their memory forever. An upset of epic proportion even though our team went something like 4-8 that year. I doubt they'd be so excited if it was Marshall that they beat that day.

That was definitely a milestone win for the Jayhawks and not a good day to be a Mountaineer. A win that is etched in their memory forever. An upset of epic proportion even though our team went something like 4-8 that year. I doubt they'd be so excited if it was Marshall that they beat that day.
What was that, their first Big 12 win in 4 years! Still, hard for me to work up much sympathy for the Jay Hawks, they had it going on under Coach Mangino who they fired for bullshit reasons and have struggled ever since.

Well, certainly it will all be revealed but if he's that great seems like he'd still be at UF! But hope he's an All American against VPI!
I figure UF wishes he was still at UF as well...... Left as their undefeated starter. I just hope he stays for his final year..... NFL is calling, and he'll answer.

I figure UF wishes he was still at UF as well...... Left as their undefeated starter. I just hope he stays for his final year..... NFL is calling, and he'll answer.
Well, he's definitely a " have gun will travel" QB, but no smack intended not sure he's ready to supplant Tom Brady quite yet but we'll see! Tough opener so we'll know in four short weeks!

Well, he's definitely a " have gun will travel" QB, but no smack intended not sure he's ready to supplant Tom Brady quite yet but we'll see! Tough opener so we'll know in four short weeks!
Tom Brady? Lol. Who compared him to the GOAT? But, probably the best field general we've had since PW, and will have more than a cup of coffee in the league.

Tom Brady? Lol. Who compared him to the GOAT? But, probably the best field general we've had since PW, and will have more than a cup of coffee in the league.
Strong praise for player who hasn't taken a snap for the Mounties. Since he's been thrown right into the fire( Hokies can play some D) we won't have to wait long to see what we've got!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT