ADVERTISEMENT

Crowd Observation / Thoughts

Manster

All-Conference
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Let me start by saying I live in Chicago and only make 1-2 basketball games per year and 2-3 football games (but have had football season tickets for 25 years...yes, I do give the unused to family friends, so I make sure they get used). Here are my observations:

Overall, our fan base has either aged and grew more tame or the typical fan today simply isn't that interested in attempting to be a factor in the game. It is incredible the number of fans that almost never venture to even get out of their seat a single time in the game. We have transitioned from being one of the most difficult places to play, to being in the bottom half of tamest places to play in our own conference. The only thing that makes it difficult to play in Coliseum these days is the travel to get there.

I've never liked the idea of removing the seats for the students. I just never understood what they thought it was going to accomplish (make them stand I guess), but related or not, the student section is a fraction of what it once was. They seem much more intent with "creative" so & so sucks chants than simply being into the game, being raucous and raising hell. In between the chants...crickets.

Why is it that people can't figure out the game time and be there for tipoff? I realize the snow effect at some games, but seems every game starts with about 40% of the crowd not there. Then, by mid first half, it starts to fill-in. What the hell people, buy a phucking watch and get to the arena for tipoff.

Not sure what the fix is and maybe there isn't one (we're certainly not the only school struggling attendance and game atmosphere), but it's a shame that our once feared fans have lost their edge. And, I especially wish the students would get more into the game and less into their semi-coordinated chants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News