ADVERTISEMENT

🔥🔥BREAKING🔥🔥 Crawford to miss bowl game

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Crawford to Miss Bowl Game

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – (December 14, 2017) – West Virginia Football Coach Dana Holgorsen has announced that junior running back Justin Crawford has decided not to participate in the 2017 Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl and will focus on his preparation for the 2018 NFL Draft.

“Justin has logged a lot of miles and been a key contributor for us the past two seasons,” Holgorsen said. “He made a decision to not play in the bowl game based on what is best for him and his family. He came to West Virginia to further his education and be a featured back in the Big 12 and he accomplished his goals. As he starts his preparation for the NFL Draft, we wish him nothing but the best.”

Crawford, a second-team All-Big 12 performer, was the third leading rusher in the Big 12 Conference with 1,061 yards and seven touchdowns. He had seven 100-yard rushing performances, including a season-high 125 yards against Kansas. He finished with multiple touchdowns against East Carolina (2) and Delaware State (3).

He became the first WVU running back to rush for back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons since Noel Devine in 2008 and 2009.

As a junior in 2016, Crawford finished with 1,184 yards and four touchdowns and was named the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year as well as a All-Big 12 First-Team selection. He had a career-best 331 yards against Oklahoma and had 209 yards against Baylor.

I sure wish Justin would change his mind and not dismiss the Heart of Texas Bowl game. He would have had a really big day against Utah and would have show cased his talent. At least that's how I see it. I would imagine that he is trying to avoid an injury or perhaps heal from previous injuries. Good luck to Justin in any event! Warez

Last edited:
Reactions: Airport
A huge bowl game would've done nothing but help Crawford. Somewhat disappointing senior season, developing fumblitis will make him a late mid rounder at best.
I do wish him the best and hope he makes it in the league, and thank him for his service.

That's bull crap. Keep doing what's best for u and see where that leaves you one day. He came to WVU partially due to its reputation, which has helped him. But then he's not going to contribute to our reputation by participating in our bowl? Well, at least he didn't get suspended for grades twice like that one guy.

I don't like it when guys play all year and then skip the bowl game. They basically say that they are more important then the team.

However, I understand that they don't want to get hurt in order to be in the beat shape for workouts, etc.

They don't make a dime in college. He worked in fast food to make ends meet.

He finally sees an opening to make money for his family and doesn't want to screw it up? Can't blame him one bit.

This bowl (and all non-playoff bowls) are meaningless anyhow.

I don't understand the "I'm not gonna play because I might get hurt" excuse. If that's the case, why did you bother playing any games? Do career ending injuries only happen during bowl games?

Totally off topic, but any insight on Ferns? You think he'll be a serious player next year after two straight injuries? Cause if not we're kinda dead in the water at MIKE. He may not have the experience but with the athlete he is I think he ultimately gives us a way higher ceiling then Benton could(no offense). Just wondering if you think he can come back and make a difference next year where we desperately need it.

I don't understand the "I'm not gonna play because I might get hurt" excuse. If that's the case, why did you bother playing any games? Do career ending injuries only happen during bowl games?

The differences is that you have to build some kind of resume to give the NFL. On the other hand, playing a meaningless game weeks or months after the regular season is over doesn't make a bunch of sense. It's the same reason you don't see a lot of NFL players play much in the preseason.

Makes sense and Holgy seemed sincere in thanking him for his efforts at WVU. LOL at the homers that don’t except this decision. And LOL at the moron posting his displeasure with this year’s performance. LOL at 2nd team all Big12 not passing sniff test of local band geek.

They don't make a dime in college. He worked in fast food to make ends meet.

He finally sees an opening to make money for his family and doesn't want to screw it up? Can't blame him one bit.

This bowl (and all non-playoff bowls) are meaningless anyhow.

BINGO! If people remembered his story about how he was working at a Taco Bell just to try to help feed his wife and young child, maybe they wouldn't be so critical of his decision. This bowl game is MEANINGLESS. In fact, I bet there's a good chance that WVU will actually come out of this bowl game in the negative numbers financially. Personally, I don't like rewarding mediocrity during bowl season, which what this has become. Seems like everyone makes a bowl game, as long as you are 6-6 in the regular season.......even though you may have a conference record of 3-5 or something like that.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I understand his decision but wished he would have played. He will get drafted 5th round or later. Will need to work extra hard to make a team. Kind of think he ends up in Canada.

Yes it is a throw away bowl...the signature statement for DH...but the me first society has now taken over sports. Screw em.

A bowl game is a bowl game. If you view the Heart of Texas as a 'throw away' bowl............then don't attend and don't watch the game on TV. Me? I plan to watch the game on my big screen HDTV with PIP. I already know what type Chinese food I will be eating (I always get #42 no matter the menu). You can't go wrong with #42! Warez

Stupid decision. Just the same as Shelton Gibson leaving early last year. Granted he’s a senior, but you don’t bail on your teams last game. I’m not sure if these kids are getting bad advice, or they foolishly believe they’re going to be a top NFL draft pick. Oh well, he’s replaceable. Good luck.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Let's see; he already has a family. He believes he can make an NFL roster, where even league minimum is a great amount of money. So, he should play in a bowl game that amounts to NOTHING, possibly sustaining an injury that could keep him from making that NFL paycheck for his family. All for YOUR entertainment.

Let's see; he already has a family. He believes he can make an NFL roster, where even league minimum is a great amount of money. So, he should play in a bowl game that amounts to NOTHING, possibly sustaining an injury that could keep him from making that NFL paycheck for his family. All for YOUR entertainment.
My entertainment? No, I honestly don’t care. Just calling it for what it is, stupid. He’s not an nfl back. And obviously not a team player. McCoy will easily fill the role.

You don't care, yet you have to come here and run your mouth on his chances of playing in the NFL and his decision.

I guarantee he wouldn't be skipping the game if it were for the national championship.

I sure wish Justin would change his mind and not dismiss the Heart of Texas Bowl game. He would have had a really big day against Utah and would have show cased his talent. At least that's how I see it. I would imagine that he is trying to avoid an injury or perhaps heal from previous injuries. Good luck to Justin in any event! Warez

I think skipping is a big mistake that could help his draft stock. That said, I think declaring is a bigger mistake overall.

Same people saying Crawford won't make it in the NFL are the very same people who said Daryl Worley wouldn't get drafted or last in the NFL. He was taken in the 3rd round and is a starter............

Imagine if Grier decided to go pro instead of coming back. Our fans would eat him alive, saying he would be a bust and it's a big mistake. Our fans love to eat their own

PS Very intelligent decision by Crawford. He is no 1st or 2nd round pick but he'll be drafted. Why risk his career over an injury in a meaningless bowl game? Anyone see that Michigan TE last year? One of best college TE in college, was projected high draft pick. Got hurt, fell very late and I haven't even heard about him this year. No idea if he's with a team or not. I think his name was Jake Butt or Butts.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Same people saying Crawford won't make it in the NFL are the very same people who said Daryl Worley wouldn't get drafted or last in the NFL. He was taken in the 3rd round and is a starter............

Imagine if Grier decided to go pro instead of coming back. Our fans would eat him alive, saying he would be a bust and it's a big mistake. Our fans love to eat their own
No, I never said Worley wouldn’t make it. I did, however, say Pat White wouldn’t make it.

My entertainment? No, I honestly don’t care. Just calling it for what it is, stupid. He’s not an nfl back. And obviously not a team player. McCoy will easily fill the role.

Whether or not he is an NFL back is irrelevant. Bowl games are stupid. Even more stupid if you’re a senior with NFL aspirations. If he’s NFL caliber he puts himself at risk for no reason. If he’s not he still puts himself at risk for no reason.

Whether or not he is an NFL back is irrelevant. Bowl games are stupid. Even more stupid if you’re a senior with NFL aspirations. If he’s NFL caliber he puts himself at risk for no reason. If he’s not he still puts himself at risk for no reason.
No, bowl games are not “stupid”. It’s about being a team player. The season isn’t over. He’s a quitter who quit on his team for selfish reasons. Typical of today’s liberal millennial generation

Redshirts should be allowed to play in bowl games. Always hear about how bowl games get X amount of extra practices which helps the young guys. Let the redshirts play. Bowl games are all about getting ready for next year, an exhibition better yourself for upcoming season.

Reactions: The Hunteeeeeer
Redshirts should be allowed to play in bowl games. Always hear about how bowl games get X amount of extra practices which helps the young guys. Let the redshirts play. Bowl games are all about getting ready for next year, an exhibition better yourself for upcoming season.

That makes a lot of sense which means the NCAA would be against it 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT