ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of Thoughts on WVU's NFL Draft Picks...

GregMadia

All-Conference
Apr 26, 2013
-Kevin White will benefit from the roster and play makers around him in Chicago. The Bears have plenty of weapons offensively like Matt Forte, Alshon Jeffery, Eddie Royal and Martellus Bennett. This should enable White to see one-on-one coverage within at least the first few weeks of his NFL career. Jeffery is a proven pass catcher, while Royal has had success as a teammate of Jay Cutler in the past. Forte is arguably the best receiving running back in the league and Bennett is a reliable option, especially in the red zone. Defenses won't be able to double cover White or roll a safety over the top because the weapons are too talented to leave wide open. If White would have ended up with the Jaguars or Raiders or even the Jets, I don't know if this would be the case.

-For Mark Glowinski, he has a chance to start. The opportunity is there in Seattle, even for a fourth-round pick to make an impact on the offensive line. Like I said before the draft, Seattle asked Mark about possibly playing center when he visited the Seahawks. Seattle has to replace the traded Max Unger and with Glowinski's skill on the interior, it wouldn't be hard to move him to center. If changing positions, doesn't work out the next most likely spot for Glowinski is at left guard since JR Sweezy has been very good at right guard for Seattle over the past few years.

-Make no mistake about it, Shaq Riddick will play a lot more as a standup outside linebacker in the NFL than he did in college. West Virginia basically only used him with his hand in the ground as a rush end. Riddick will have to work his way up the depth chart considering Alex Okafor and Lorenzo Alexander both play that outside linebacker spot for Arizona. This will give him time to learn the position too. For now, I think Riddick is athletic enough to play on special teams, so if he wants to get on the field early, he'll have to do it that way.

-I think Mario Alford can help the Cincinnati Bengals in the kick return game immediately. This will allow Adam Pacman Jones to simply return punts, which is a good thing as Jones enters his 10th year in the league. At receiver, Alford will have to find a way to work into the Bengals' rotation at the position. AJ Green and Mohamed Sanu are two established outside receivers, which means Alford may to get comfortable in the slot, if he wants to see the field on offense early in his career.

-Of the two undrafted free agents, Dreamius Smith (San Diego) and Quinton Spain (Tennessee), I think Spain has the better shot of actually making a roster. Spain can provide depth behind Chance Warmack and Andy Levitre at the two guard spots for the Titans. If he can learn both right and left guard, he becomes more valuable. For Smith, there are a few veterans in Danny Woodhead and Donald Brown at running back in addition to first round pick, Melvin Gordon. Brendan Oliver is also on the roster. Smith has to do a better job of showing he can run downhill, because if he can, that may give him a leg up on Woodhead or Brown, who are limited as guys that have been in the league for a long time.

Those are simply just my thoughts of how the West Virginia guys fit in with their new teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.