ADVERTISEMENT

couldn't find any reference to syhiem simmons from birmingham carver on a web search

john in california

All-American
May 29, 2001
Long Beach, California
i saw a syhiem simmons from hudson catholic in new jersey, i think it was, a running back, but not an lb from b-ham.....did the kid transfer down there?.....just wondering.....saw his name on a wvu recruiting update......could it be another kid named simmons?......

He could be this years "mystery kid", but I doubt it. Social media makes it tough to pull that one off these days. Recruiting guys used to occasionally make one up for giggles. Got to watch those fellas.

It's getting harder to do, that social media again, but a similar one was filling out an info card and sending it to a tightly wound HS coach, saying a 6-4 Jr. QB/DE/LB was considering transferring into his school from say, a place like Mater Dei or Moeller, used to be not an uncommon trick.

The pranked coach, if he didn't know the wheeze, would look for them for weeks, thinking he hit the lottery. Everyone from reporters, to other coaches, opposing fans and players, and even kid's on the coach's own team would use that one to have a little fun with the guy for a few weeks. The home run was if he announced the transfer to the local press in the pre-season.

Think of it as "coach-fishing".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT