ADVERTISEMENT

Could back-to-back games happen this fall?

WVU_Dave

All-American
Jan 7, 2008
Dulce Base - 7 Levels Down
We have a great returning team that can challenge for the Big12 championship. They play OU the last week of the season. Do they play again a week later in the conference championship? I'd throw a few bucks on it.

We have a great returning team that can challenge for the Big12 championship. They play OU the last week of the season. Do they play again a week later in the conference championship? I'd throw a few bucks on it.

I'll have some of whatever it is you're smoking...

Have you not watched this team for the last seven years? Have you not scrutinized this coach and his staff for the last seven years? We aren't going to be challenging anybody but you can bet we will be challenged by all of them.

Have you not watched this team for the last seven years? Have you not scrutinized this coach and his staff for the last seven years? We aren't going to be challenging anybody but you can bet we will be challenged by all of them.
and I bet you refer to yourself to all your friends as a WVU fan. What a joke!
Man do I wish I were only half as smart and able to predict the future as you think you are (even with your using distorted items to do so). WOW.

Reactions: bfeld35

I am not a Holgs apologist by any stretch, but I do believe we have a pretty good staff. What I see different next year is depth of talent at skill positions; so our season won't hinge on a few players being healthy. If Grier has stayed healthy and we had a bit more depth, I don't see why we couldn't have won 10 this year.

and I bet you refer to yourself to all your friends as a WVU fan. What a joke!
Man do I wish I were only half as smart and able to predict the future as you think you are (even with your using distorted items to do so). WOW.

Predicting the future is rather easy when you have a trend to project. We have seven years and no plan to do anything but more of the same. Pretty easy to predict 12 months now a large portion of your clueless wonders will still be gibbering, "But you just wait, next year we are gonna challenge!" Do you know how much like a Marshall Turd that makes anyone saying that sound like?

Predicting the future is rather easy when you have a trend to project. We have seven years and no plan to do anything but more of the same. Pretty easy to predict 12 months now a large portion of your clueless wonders will still be gibbering, "But you just wait, next year we are gonna challenge!" Do you know how much like a Marshall Turd that makes anyone saying that sound like?
If you include me in your net casting I will ask to produce posts where I have stated "...But you just wait, next year we are gonna challenge!"
I do echo the sentiments of many on this board who believe we have a very strong team returning next year and can see opportunity for massive success. Anyone denying this is blinded and unwilling to consider realistic possibilities.

I am not a Holgs apologist by any stretch, but I do believe we have a pretty good staff. What I see different next year is depth of talent at skill positions; so our season won't hinge on a few players being healthy. If Grier has stayed healthy and we had a bit more depth, I don't see why we couldn't have won 10 this year.

A team has many critical components that must work together for success, with luck being a larger one. Grier staying healthy we would still not have beaten Oklahoma - we have no defense. With Grier staying healthy I still do not see us beating Texas, in addition to not having a defense, we have spotty luck against the Longhorns - at best.

A single player does not a team make. Grier is a good player and we have a few others but we do not have a good team on either side of the ball. Compared to past successful WVU teams, this one is fat, slow, and seems to not care if we win or not. We have become a cupcake defense and one trick pony on offense with a 5-play playbook. I do not think Grier is a 5-play quarterback, but the guy calling the plays can only manage a 5-play playbook. We would do better if Grier called all of the offense, he at least knows what is going on out there.

Next year 6 teams have a chance at playing in Arlington:
Kansas State-BS' last year it looks like and if K State doesn't falter early in 2018 they could be a surprise team. Early matchup against Miss State will set the tone

Oklahoma St-This is determined by QB and WR play. They bring back a great RB with a lot of their defense. Home games against West Virginia and Texas could help.

TCU-Brigning back a lot talent. Robinson has experience or if Rogers takes over he is a star in the making.
Watch the Alamo Bowl replay to see the skill TCU has in key positions

West Virginia-Their issue is OLine and DLine.
If they can fix this then senior leadership will lead them to Arlington but if not even Joe Montana cannot help them against Texas and Oklahoma

Oklahoma- Very similar to Oklahoma State but they have experience at QB. Their issue is senior leadership as Andrews, Mayfield and Brown lead that team and will all be gone

Texas- Very similar their issue is OLine.
An improvement was noticed throughout the season and with the talent they are bringing in Texas who lost a lot of close games can make a 5 win jump.

Last edited:
we could very well be a better team next year and it still may not show. i'm betting that k-state will be improved...texas will be improved...iowa state seems to have a good coach that did more with less this year and knocked off oklahoma (something we've yet to do) and tcu so they are getting better. i'm not going to get hung up on wins and losses so much as the progress of the team...are we tackling any better or are we still grab-assing and whiffing? is our d line getting blown back into the backers and safeties? are we able to cover when we drop 8 or 9 and, if not, why the hell do we keep doing it? is our o line getting molested again or will our qb keep running for his life? will we diversify our running game? realize that these bigger kids you recruited as a "tight end" actually have value or do we even know what to do with them? will we actually formulate a game plan and set up plays or do we continue with our tourettes offense and chuck 40 yard bombs every other play? if we can somehow eliminate even half of our mistakes, play more physical, and focus on running the ball again the wins will come.

we could very well be a better team next year and it still may not show. i'm betting that k-state will be improved...texas will be improved...iowa state seems to have a good coach that did more with less this year and knocked off oklahoma (something we've yet to do) and tcu so they are getting better. i'm not going to get hung up on wins and losses so much as the progress of the team...are we tackling any better or are we still grab-assing and whiffing? is our d line getting blown back into the backers and safeties? are we able to cover when we drop 8 or 9 and, if not, why the hell do we keep doing it? is our o line getting molested again or will our qb keep running for his life? will we diversify our running game? realize that these bigger kids you recruited as a "tight end" actually have value or do we even know what to do with them? will we actually formulate a game plan and set up plays or do we continue with our tourettes offense and chuck 40 yard bombs every other play? if we can somehow eliminate even half of our mistakes, play more physical, and focus on running the ball again the wins will come.

I agree with about 85% of your post.

I think DH wants to run the ball. His entire attack is based on being able to run the ball. Those quick passes out to the flats are in a way DH running the ball. If you notice Grier will always fake the ball out to the flat to open up the Deep ball. Similar to a playaction pass. This type of offense only works when Grier is healthy and between the 20's.
I heard in three or four different previews about DH wanting to run the ball. I am sure he is taking this offseason to prepare the Oline to run the ball next year. He was trying to prepare the team for Texas and OU. You can't fault him for this. Sometimes our best plans fall flat.

Like I said watch during the spring game and see if you see a change in philosophy because that will give you a hint on what next season has to offer.

On defense West Virginia lacks the overall speed, size and athletic ability. This comes with better recruiting.
Not saying WVU doesn't have some good players on D. I see two potential NFL players but it lacks overall depth at every position. West Virginia may have to move some of these new recruits to the defensive side.

We all have different ideologies about football but in Texas now most coaches are thinking knout stopping someone instead of outscoring them so the better athletes are going to the defensive side of the ball.

Defense is all scheme though. West Virginia needs better corners so they can play Man to man on the outside and bring pressure with their linebackers and safties.

You cannot drop 8 and rush 3 and think you will stop more experienced QBs.

Gibson is a decent D.C. And I saw that in a few games as he brought unique blitzes a few different times.
Even ones similar to Texas with the two deep safties and bringing the LBs.
Problem with that is I do not think your corners are big and fast enough to cover good to great WRs man to man.
You saw that in the Oklahoma State game.

Last edited:
If you include me in your net casting I will ask to produce posts where I have stated "...But you just wait, next year we are gonna challenge!"
I do echo the sentiments of many on this board who believe we have a very strong team returning next year and can see opportunity for massive success. Anyone denying this is blinded and unwilling to consider realistic possibilities.
Or they have an agenda. I'm thinking the Meth and Opiod problem is worse in WV than previously thought.

errDoc - last seven are an indication of no improvement in winning games we shouldn't.
Three of the final four teams this year - in last 10 years WV has beaten in BCS bowls.
Since the Orange Bowl win over Clemson our program has not improved. I suggest
we've recruited the talent to do better, but the coaching has failed to develop these
solid recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT